Author Topic: Instructional Videos for this site by members  (Read 3996 times)

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: Instructional Videos for this site by members
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2011, 07:44:11 am »
AHH I saw the link to his book, read the excerpts.. I am motiviated to keep searching for a 750 now... Man the book just from the minor details seems very throughout and helpful... Has anyone used his book as a beginner and had success rebuilding a bike or do any type of maintenance such as the 3k tune up? I wish he had a book on the 550..... In regard to hsi light relay switch, it states it is good for all cb550, but in the description states specific years... Will the relay work for my 78 550k?
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline Duke McDukiedook

• Space Force 6 Star General
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Wish? Did somebody say wish?
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2011, 08:41:47 am »
You can PM him if you need a specific question answered or create a thread covering that topic if you think that would work.

I think part of the recall on the caps was a worry that balls might get snagged on the protuding cap bits in case of a wreck.
"Well, Mr. Carpetbagger. We got somethin' in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."   Josey Wales

"It's Baltimore, gentlemen. The gods will not save you." Ervin Burrell

CB750 K3 crat | (2) 1986 VFR750F

Offline xsmooth69x

• Master
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2011, 06:28:06 pm »
My gas cap has a key.
Your cap has the "upgrade" which was meant for all CBs, but only done to a few. A Honda recall occurring in the late 70s.  And for restoration purposes the thumblatch is preferred retrofitted.

XSsmooth, great topic to choose. My suggestion: The problem with the video to me is there is no emphasis on why this procedure should be followed. Without the why, owners may say why should this be a 2 handed operation. Why can't i just push on the button and pop the cap? I'm the guy who will resistance any advice unless I'm told "why".

The answer being of course that these latches are a porous casting prone to breaking and no longer availabel from honda. If you start off with that statement, you've got my attention.  Other sources have them for a price. And there are still a few used ones around. The problem with used ones is the same as the original ones, prone to breaking.

And personally I don't see why closing should be a 2 handed operation. The only reisitance is the spring. Unlike upon opening where the resistance is overcoming the hook on the latch.  I just give it a quick rap with my fist. 2 handed can't hurt though.

i updated my post  ;D now let the epic explanation grasp your attention
1975 CB550 (FINISHED?!?!?)
first motorcycle ever!!! ow and i dont know how to ride it either :D

raw rust rice venti quad shot cafe racing latte project aka my build..... http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=88853.0

black and white equation godzilla chalkboard 
1972 cb750 - next in line for some <3