Author Topic: CB400T wheels on a CB400F?  (Read 2081 times)

Offline sensh

• I always think it's funnier than the cops do.
    • Bad Juju Vehicles
CB400T wheels on a CB400F?
« on: July 30, 2011, 05:27:40 am »
I searched first, I promise!  lol

Will the mag wheels off a 1978 CB400T Hawk bolt right onto my 1975 CB400F Supersport?

If not, here is what I am trying to accomplish:  I have been scaring the crap out of myself with occasional rapid tire deflations on my old spoke wheels and tubed tires.  I'd love to fit tubeless tires on more maintenance-free rims, and potentially reduce the overall weight of the wheels in the process.  But I don't want to spend a fortune on custom wheels.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
-Paul
"Sensh"
The Plains, VA
1975 CB400F

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
Re: CB400T wheels on a CB400F?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 06:00:02 am »
Paul,  don't know about the swapover but there is no way you should experience rapid deflation.  Pull the wheels, remove the tires and wire brush the inner rim, them reassemble with new rim straps, tubes and if necessary new tires. The old system is sound and has never given me problems.  Welcome to the forum...Larry

Offline sensh

• Bad Juju Vehicles
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 06:09:31 am »
Thanks, Larry!  It's a great forum.

I just did everything you mention, so hopefully I won't have any more issues.  This last time the rear went down FAST at about 60mph in a sweeper.  Wow.  Never had that happen at quite that speed before, and it scared the bejeezus out of me.

Fortunately, a combination of Marco Simoncelli-like skill (1%) and blind, stupid luck (99%) I kept the bike upright.
"Sensh"
The Plains, VA
1975 CB400F

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 06:42:12 am »
Thanks, Larry!  It's a great forum.

I just did everything you mention, so hopefully I won't have any more issues.  This last time the rear went down FAST at about 60mph in a sweeper.  Wow.  Never had that happen at quite that speed before, and it scared the bejeezus out of me.

Fortunately, a combination of Marco Simoncelli-like skill (1%) and blind, stupid luck (99%) I kept the bike upright.

Must have been an exciting moment :P :P.   The Man must have been watching over you.  Post some photos of your 400...Larry

Offline sensh

• Bad Juju Vehicles
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 06:56:07 am »
WIll do.  It's a custom in progress.  Here are the only ones I have on my iPad at the moment...
"Sensh"
The Plains, VA
1975 CB400F

Offline Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 06:15:49 pm »
Not sure if they'll bolt right up, but a few things to consider first:

1) wheel diameters and widths, you wanna run the tire sizes you wanna run, make sure you can find tires in those sizes to fit the rims before going any further.
2) wheel bearings can be changed if the stock bearings won't fit the 400F axles.
3) custom spacers can be made to center the wheels the same as your 400F wheels are centered.
4) what will you do for brakes? It's a very long shot that the front brake disk will line up with your caliper, you'll have to have an adaptor made to bolt your 400F disk to the 400T hub.
5) rear brake might also be drum so not too hard there, but what about the chain line? And what about sourcing a sprocket with the right amount of teeth?

Click the link in my signature line, its a free page I made up a while ago full of handy documents, how-to's, charts, diagrams, calculators and more.

Make sure the wheels you're thinking of are applicable for tubeless tire use first though! It can be done, but it might not really be worth it to anyone but you. Check out my build thread also, it's been a while since I've done much with it, but I'm doing the alloy wheel thing on mine.