Author Topic: Handlebar Control/Switch Assembly Question  (Read 1804 times)

Offline cmuller0420

Handlebar Control/Switch Assembly Question
« on: July 30, 2011, 10:37:58 am »
Hi there,

So I am in need of some advice....I bobught a '76 CB550 that is in need of some work and originally did not come with the hand controls...so I purchased a set off of a 75 cb550.

Now the problem comes to mounting them...it seems that the wiring harness from the left and right controls come out where the handlebars are meant to slide through the unit...am I supposed to keep these running through there and reef down on the wires when tightening the switch mount onto the handlebars?  and if so woudlnt that pose the risk of damaging the wires? after trying to mount them with these issues I thought it best to ask first.

There are no other holes on the clutch side to allow the wires to exit another way so it seems it must, if anyone can confirm or shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated....I have attached a couple of pics

Offline Johnie

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Handlebar Control/Switch Assembly Question
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 11:01:09 am »
Welcome to the board. You are correct. Do not be fooled it is a task that will make your hands and fingers sore. Your best bet is to remove the bars and work it that way. I put a little silicone or something on the cable to help it slide through. I also tie a small piece of rope or wire on the bullet end and as I push the wires through I also pull on the rope. It will not slide through like butter. Takes work and patience. Also a good idea to take a break as you will get pissed off. It is a daunting task.
1970 CB750K0 - Candy Ruby Red
1973 CB750K3 - Candy Bacchus Olive or Sunflake Orange
1970 Chevy Chevelle SS396 - Cortez Silver
1976 GL1000 Sulphur Yellow

Oshkosh, WI  USA

Offline cmuller0420

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 11:06:31 am »
one other things to note is that I have switched to clubman bars

so to make sure I am understanding correctly..

the unit will clamp aorund the handlebars and the wire harness will reside on the outside bottom of the handlebars between the housing of the switch assembly and bars themself

then by playing with the wire harness I would get them to sit as flat as possible and then screww together the switch assembly, pinching the wiring harness in

on the original bars did they have holes in the bars themselves to fish the wires through and have a clean look?

thanks

Offline unitedguitar

• Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 03:03:21 pm »
With the clubmans you will want to do one of two things, drill holes for the wires to run inside the bars, or notch the control housing so the wires exit out underneath the bars. I would not recommend trying to pinch the wires between the housing and the bars as it could cause shorts and wouldn't allow for the controls to mount properly.
Ben Whitener