Author Topic: Road racers- 550 or smaller  (Read 6376 times)

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
Re: Road racers- 550 or smaller
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2011, 01:07:24 pm »
   They originally for a heavier bike, CB1100 or 900F, can't remember which.  So they're setup for a little more heft, and they're going to raise the back end a bit, which is good on the 550 in my opinion.   Spring rate and all that should be doable.  There's a how-to floating around here somewhere on how to rebuild those.
   If you search Industrial Cafe's posts you should find it.
Just call me Timmaaaaay!!!

Offline Triffecpa

• Hot Shot
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2011, 07:28:49 pm »
Thanks for the great info Tracy, never before have I heard of this being done....

I think that I invented it.  :)

Seriously.

TR

In the famous cycle World mag  feature on the Yoshi GS1000 racer back in 79' there's a very clear picture of the fork tubes that pops would make longer by welding extensions to..... issue on that bike was to GAIN ground clearance as it would drag the engine covers  in corners, but welding can be done. 

I knew that I should have filed for a patent.  See, I'm being copied already...

TR

Offline heel_touge

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2011, 07:23:10 am »
Great thread! This is exactly the info I'm looking for.
I have been on road courses in my car for 6 years now and just picked up my first bike ,a 75' CB550. It was. Cheap and I dont feel Bad about sending it across the tarmac on its side. Is this a good size starter bike? Should I find a 750 with more aftermarket track part comparability?
Could you please point me to any popular road course inspired 550 builds?
Maybe more info on best tire selection for spoked wheels?
I want to learn everything I can but would like to get out next season so an accelerated course would be beneficial.

Look forward to meeting any mid west folks at putnam/ mid Ohio / Gingerman / autobahn next season.
-Mark

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2011, 02:55:21 am »
For those of you that have changed to the 900F forks, it seems they're 37MM.  The CB900F apparently uses a different tapered roller steering bearing package from AllBallz that the CB550 does.  That being said, what did you use or have to change to fit these forks to the 550? 

Surely there's a difference in the steering stem measurements? 
Just call me Timmaaaaay!!!