Author Topic: what solution for ultrasonic carb cleaning??  (Read 39471 times)

Offline CoachDoc

• Hot Shot
  • 1974 CB550, 2005 GL1800, 1997 Valkyrie Standard
what solution for ultrasonic carb cleaning??
« on: August 20, 2011, 03:22:42 pm »
I've gotten lots of great info from members re. my '74 550 restoration. Now I'm about to remove my carbs for cleaning and new gaskets/ O-rings. I'd like some opinions on what solution to use for ultrasonic cleaning. I'm considering Simple Green. Good? Does preheating the solution help in the process? Thanks, guys.

Offline chewbacca5000

• I polish covers!
  • Old Timer
Re: what solution for ultrasonic carb cleaning??
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 05:56:17 pm »
I have a little experience on ultrasonic carb cleaning and the answer to the best solution is it depends on the contaminate.  If you have heavily varnished carbs I would just hit them with some value craft carb cleaner from Autozone it's on $2 bucks a can and the only thing I have found that will melt varnish quick and easily. 

Or just do a simple green soak or some other presoak before putting the carbs in your solution.  This helps break the chemical bond between the contaminate and the carb making it possible for the ultrasonic waves to move contaminate into the solution.

You must know what is on your carbs if you have calcium or mineral deposits carb cleaner won't work it only attacks varnish.  You will need to try something else.

Also, make sure you use only distilled water and let your ultrasonic carb cleaner run for 30 or so minutes before using to get all the gas out.  Once it is good too go there will be ripples at the top of the solution letting you know there is no more gas left.  I would visit the omega sonic site and read up on the different soaps each soap is designed for a different job.

If you go a picture of one of the inside of the carb bowls members here will probably be able to assist you better.

Offline CoachDoc

• Hot Shot
  • 1974 CB550, 2005 GL1800, 1997 Valkyrie Standard
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 10:09:18 pm »
Roto, what easier and more effective methods are you alluding to?? I thought the ultrasonic method would be the most effective way to go- letting the sound waves do the work. Am I missing something?
My carbs have sat for 17 years, but they were always drained and run dry prior to storeage so I've never had much of a problem with gum and varnish. Corrosion is my main problem, along with possible rust or sundry debris clogging the jets, etc.

Offline Danno

• Hot Shot
  • 74 CB550,75 GL1000,76 KZ400,77 GL1000,73 CB750
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 10:53:48 pm »
try lemmon juice for calcium or oxides of aluminum and simple green for the varnish but I also use evapo rust for the steel pieces and works much faster in an ultrsonic cleaner i will often use jewelery cleaner made for ultrasonic machines also it is the most mild of the cleaners I use
when you own a motorcycle the wife does not have to find you handy she just has to find you

Offline gonzobrian

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 08:16:43 am »
Simple Green and hot water.  Works great.  Just be sure to rinse them well when done as Simple Green tends to leave a powdery residue if not rinsed well.  I did my carbs using a cheap Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner and it worked great.  Carbs came out looking like new with virtually no work involved.