Author Topic: Chrome seat trim  (Read 12148 times)

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
Re: Chrome seat trim
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2011, 08:22:46 pm »
I put an aftermarket cover on my '76 550F about 2years ago. The seat pan had triangular "fangs" that I pulled the vinyl over, then punctured through the vinyl and it held it.
I no longer have that bike so cannot post a pic.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Ekimyar

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2011, 08:43:04 pm »
Off topic, my apologies, but anyone know where you can get those little rivet things? I've lost all but one on my left side after redoing my seat cover. The little clip things did not hold them on.
I just did a 750 cover and the chrome strip is channeled underneath for rivets, The rivets go through the outer seat cover, seat pan and folded seat cover . Seat cover is attached with little spears/wedges on the seat pan. Rivets for chrome strip are held with clips or tinnermans. Stock aluminum rivets are also bent after the clips are installed. I used aircraft rivets on mine and filed the heads so they would fit better into the channel. Clear as mud?  :)

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2011, 08:52:41 pm »
I put an aftermarket cover on my '76 550F about 2years ago. The seat pan had triangular "fangs" that I pulled the vinyl over, then punctured through the vinyl and it held it.
I no longer have that bike so cannot post a pic.

Thanks, Steve.  Unfortunately the 550K seats don't use that system for holding on the cover.  It would be so much easier if they did.  I guess the best option for using the stock pan is to rivet the cover, but if it's going to come to buying a tool just to recover one seat, I may just start looking at aftermarket seat options.  I never carry a passenger on this bike anyway, so that really opens up the options. 

Offline nippon

• Hot Shot
    • Classic Cycle City
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2011, 10:38:00 pm »
Hi,

i have a few chrome replacement trims. They have the same black top edge like the originals and fit perfectly to the clamps at the inside of the seat in order to mount them.
They have the same profile like the stock trims and fit perfectly to the end caps at the front end of the seat. Seat covers and foams are also available.
If you need more information, please pm me.

nippon

Offline DedHed

• Boob
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2011, 08:19:38 am »
Unfortunately from Honda all you could ever buy is a complete seat assembly. Most after market seat covers don't come with foam or trim. the trim is not hard to do. trust me if I can do it anybody can do it.

Very true Duanob... I was able to remove the old cover and even managed to order another from the 'ol www.internets.getmea seat.com.
Problem I have is getting the new seat cover sufficiently attached to the seat pan, mine 750K4 has 6 - 8 tabs that the chrome trim attached to. Now with the new seat cover it, just doesn't seem enough to keep the seat in place. I had to add an inch thick piece of foam to build the foam back up and the seat looks ok... not as good as it could though....
Does anyone have a suggestion rather than drill holes and riveting the seat cover to the pan?
Thanks in advance,
Phil

If I missed that somewhere in this thread or in any other thread, please direct me to that... I ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer.....
CB750 K4

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2011, 12:45:23 pm »
 The '75 seat cover is held on with these clips.

This is the '77. You can see the barbs as well as the tabs/posts that hold the chrome strip.
'71 CB500 K0
'17 Triumph Street Scrambler
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2011, 12:46:47 pm »
 Here are some close ups of the chrome strip. If you look closely, you can see the remnants of the old seat cover. It appears that it's just slipped on around the edge of the seat/new cover.

'71 CB500 K0
'17 Triumph Street Scrambler
'81 Yamaha XS650