Author Topic: at the risk of sounding a bit thick..  (Read 1023 times)

Offline mattd

• im only a
at the risk of sounding a bit thick..
« on: August 28, 2011, 01:04:02 pm »
i think i know the answer to this one but i need someone to give it a yay or nay. on the 500 and 550 the enigne and gear box are in unit so they share the same oil dont they. or do they?
'79 550f2 '80 servetta jet200 which i have lovely photos of but dont know how to put on the computer!!!

Offline WarwickE36

• Expert
Re: at the risk of sounding a bit thick..
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 01:06:32 pm »
yay
" Why does anyone get offended by what someone does to their own bike? I dont get it. "

You made me think about it after I cheered knowing someone else would like to know what these control freaks are up to.
 Every time any owner strips whatever precious Honda part the horrified purists parts go up in value. That's not the part that bothers them.
 What bothers them is they sat up late at night, their breast full of wonder and estrogen, unable to sleep, dreaming about their lovely darling and all her glory... and next thing you know someone else doesn't share their emotional deluge and their reaction is they must spread their mind museum as far as they possibly can, taking over as much of the real world as possible.

Drink fast, drive slow, but ride it like you stole it

1974 Cb550 with style
2004 SV650s

Offline mattd

• im only a
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 01:20:21 pm »
ta. good luck with the strip and rebuild by the way. im some way from that as you can tell by the questions pal
'79 550f2 '80 servetta jet200 which i have lovely photos of but dont know how to put on the computer!!!

Offline WarwickE36

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 01:27:40 pm »
Thanks man, its a little bit of a learning experience.  I am an ASE tech, but motorcycles are not really my area of expertise.  The only thing I am really liking so far, is the weight of all the parts is less than that of a car, obviously.  Makes everything a little easier.  That being said, some of the shifting mechanisms and bearings have me fooled.  I definitely pulled a shaft out to inspect it and 6 little needle bearings bounced all over my workbench.  I got them back in their races, and learned to be a little more careful.

Have fun with riding, its much more fun than wrenching.
" Why does anyone get offended by what someone does to their own bike? I dont get it. "

You made me think about it after I cheered knowing someone else would like to know what these control freaks are up to.
 Every time any owner strips whatever precious Honda part the horrified purists parts go up in value. That's not the part that bothers them.
 What bothers them is they sat up late at night, their breast full of wonder and estrogen, unable to sleep, dreaming about their lovely darling and all her glory... and next thing you know someone else doesn't share their emotional deluge and their reaction is they must spread their mind museum as far as they possibly can, taking over as much of the real world as possible.

Drink fast, drive slow, but ride it like you stole it

1974 Cb550 with style
2004 SV650s

Offline Brandotheamazing

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 04:42:36 pm »
Thanks man, its a little bit of a learning experience.  I am an ASE tech, but motorcycles are not really my area of expertise.  The only thing I am really liking so far, is the weight of all the parts is less than that of a car, obviously.  Makes everything a little easier.  That being said, some of the shifting mechanisms and bearings have me fooled.  I definitely pulled a shaft out to inspect it and 6 little needle bearings bounced all over my workbench.  I got them back in their races, and learned to be a little more careful.

I hear that, I've been an auto mechanic since about 03, and now doing much more big stuff then when I first started, it's nice to work on a motorcycle, like, um I can pick up the engine.... the  whole thing with trans.... no jacks needed, no being worried about engine supports and what not. but yeah, thre are some confusing "totally not like a car" things to get used to.

Have fun with riding, its much more fun than wrenching.
-Brendan

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 12:49:21 am »
its a yay,they also have a wet sump,,the oil sits in the sump and drains back down into the sump after it gets pumped into the rocker area,so do the 350/400/650 fours,,the 750 has a dry sump,its held in a tank and is pumped around the engine and back into the tank where its stored,both types lubricate the entire engine and gearbox with the same oil.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 08:50:42 am »
that's why we need to be careful what oil we use, the clutch is in there too.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.