Author Topic: What is needed for a bare minimum wiring harness?  (Read 19150 times)

Offline Celco

• Enthusiast
What is needed for a bare minimum wiring harness?
« on: August 29, 2011, 08:55:07 pm »
(UPDATE 3/8/2012 - Diagram Update)

I really hate old electrics, or more so not knowing exactly what is wrong with the system.  So to combat this I want to make my own harness for my CB550 build.  I want to know what are the bare minimum wires to run for a running bike.  Im looking for a running bike with a relay headlight (maybe just Hi, maybe Hi/Lo) and a tail light with one brake switch only.  No winkers, no horn, would rather do kick only so i guess no starter.  This is all on a 77 CB550 motor.  I am no noob when it comes to wiring, I built a complete from scratch harness for my 88 Honda Hawk GT650, just looking to cut out the mindless hours of algorithmic thinking of what needs to power to work and IF/THEN on every wire on the bike.

What kind of wires am I going to need here?

I know stator to reg/rec.
points to coils
power to coils
bat to lights
etc...

Does anyone have a drawn out wiring diagram that they could share to clear up a bare (race) wriring harness.  Ill probably be trying to run the wires in the frame to keep it tidy, and r/r battery and a few fuses under the seat tail.

Thank you much.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 03:55:19 am by Celco »

Offline Eddie

• Enthusiast

Offline nixonwylie9

Re: What is needed for a bare minimum wiring harness?
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 10:42:43 am »
Eddie that is a freakin awesome diagram.  i just tore my 350f down last night, about to put a hardtail on it and wiring was crap.  Ive been so worried about what i was going to do about the electrical system.  That diagram totally put my mind at ease!

Thanks a Ton!
Nixon

Offline luap

• LAWL
  • Expert
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 08:03:45 pm »
stock or new single state regulator/rectifier  toggle switch for your hi/low beam I think that would be it if your running kick only with no battery starter silenoid or starter,
75-550 ffsc sold, 78-550 diamonte sold, 125s grasshopper sold, 76-550 puma sold, 78-550 tracker sold, 74-550 verde diablo Sold, 74-550 Noemani finished trying to sell. 72 500 hartail in the works
www.cb-town.com
"I dont need a bike covered in paint an chrome I know exactally bout how big my coc( is"

Offline Rigid

• She likes a
  • Expert
  • Speak from personal experience, or don't
    • KingCustomCycles
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 08:08:24 am »
22 downloads in 24 hours on my free schematic and not one "thanks dude"?  It went bye bye.  They are available on ebay for $5.00.
36 years of this stuff, here to help.

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 09:48:32 am »
check this out..
http://www.hondachopper.com/garage/simple_wiring_diagram/simple_wiring_diagram.html
ha ha, I got a poster of that hanging in my shop!...not that I've ever really used it, I usually just use the stock harness and unplug stuff I don't need...
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline seanbarney41

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 09:49:45 am »
22 downloads in 24 hours on my free schematic and not one "thanks dude"?  It went bye bye.  They are available on ebay for $5.00.
...quit yer cryin'...

bollingball

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 04:09:45 pm »

Rigid That is the spirit  :o You were kidding right

Ken

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 07:44:41 pm »
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 08:42:17 pm »
I found this minimum wiring schematic available for free.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 08:45:26 pm by Gordon »

Offline seanbarney41

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2011, 10:30:17 pm »
whoa...already downloaded seven times...get it offa there...you are losing money 8)

bollingball

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 05:59:12 am »
Celco No need at all to pay someone like Rigid or King what ever he is going by now for a simple print. Most people here are more than willing to help. I have and many others have given free parts. Either I missed the joke or this guy is very immature and insecure. Little kids need reassurance to make them them feel needed. Ever here the one about the kid that took his ball and went home because the other kids did not want to play by his rules?
 I truly hope he was just having a bad day Just wanted you to know most people here are not like this guy. If you need help on wiring a relay to the headlight let me know I will send it to you FREE

Thanks Dude ::)
                                         Ken

Offline Franky

• Enthusiast
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 07:10:17 am »
Have a look at the great flash-animation at oldmanhonda.com

You can turn different sections of the (cb 500) schematic on and off.

Amazing stuff!
1974 Honda CB360T Stock
1974 Honda CB550 K0 Stock
1977 Honda CB550 K3 Cafe - never ending build :)
1988 Honda Dax ST50 Cafe
1997 Honda Benly 50S Stock

Check out my "Yamaha R6 fork on a CB550 made easy" thread:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=118983.0;all

Offline 92sc300tt

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 10:12:05 am »
Great links thanks everyone!

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 03:20:05 pm »
whoa...already downloaded seven times...get it offa there...you are losing money 8)

You ain't kidding!  It's up to 28 downloads now.  That's 140 bucks down the drain! :o ;D

Offline Rigid

• She likes a
  • Expert
  • Speak from personal experience, or don't
    • KingCustomCycles
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2012, 05:32:50 am »
Just wanted to "bump" this post and thank you guys.  My website hits, and ebay sales, took an immediate jump after this thread.  Thanks again!  Rest assured, the money is being channeled back into the best and baddest custom SOHC4's around. 
36 years of this stuff, here to help.

Offline seanbarney41

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2012, 07:17:52 am »
here...maybe this will help...

Offline Celco

• Enthusiast
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2012, 03:52:44 am »
Ok, project took a bit of a back burner.  Didn't even check the forums since then either, so sorry I guess from before about the not saying thanks.

Anyways... Got around to sit down and think out the wiring harness and add just the stuff I needed. 
This system I am planning will be running the flowing...
-Pamco Ultimate electronic ignition
-Ultra high performance coils.
-3wire barrel key ignition
-3 phase rectifier (ebay)
-V730 Regulator (autozone)
-LED tail light
-Kick start only (starter removed)
-4 gang fuse block (20a from bat, 15a for head and running, should I use one for the ignition?)
-Balistic battery (I have the 4Pb-eq/Ah version now... is it strong enough? or should I get the 8 Pb-eq A/H version?)
-Hi/Low/OFF switch for headlight on the bucket.
-H4 bulb for now (have the conversion) might upgrade to slim HID kit down the road.

Here is my diagram so far... like the picture shows tying to keep Reg,Rec,Bat, and Fuses under the tail. 

Wondering if I can get a few extra sets of eyes on this and double check everything to make sure its going to work out ok.  The wires from the Pamco to the coils are running in gray sheilds and the Red/Green/Black wires pop out from there to connect to the coils. 

Everything is going to be run through 8mm and 6mm braided sleeving.  Like this stuff, Black with white stitch.

Every stitch of wire is going to be fresh oil/gas resistant stuff... Even thinking of desoldering and resoldering the leads that come from the stator to have 100% known good wires.

I ordered These black connectors and also These white connectors for the plugged connections (6pin stator, 3pin tail, 3pin keyed switch) and a few extra 2/3/4 pin connectors if I need anything else and also for the CT70 project im working on.

Im pretty sure everything is going to work just fine... ive pictured the electric flow through every line plenty of times.... Thing that I am not sure of is that battery.  It is pretty small and I dont know what 4Pb-eq/Ah equates to in normal battery speak.  After reading This post from TwoTired I am thinking I should maybe go with the bigger battery.  Not sure if the wattage draw will be more then what this battery can handle.

Who can help?

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2012, 08:19:54 am »
The regulator isn't connected properly; the switched ignition wire should be connected to the "S" terminal, not the "I" terminal. (The I terminal is used for an Indicator light.)
Also, the wiring at the ignition coils: it looks like you have grounds connected to the ignition wire? Instant blown fuse. ;) 
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Celco

• Enthusiast
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2012, 09:52:03 am »
The regulator isn't connected properly; the switched ignition wire should be connected to the "S" terminal, not the "I" terminal. (The I terminal is used for an Indicator light.)
Also, the wiring at the ignition coils: it looks like you have grounds connected to the ignition wire? Instant blown fuse. ;)

Ill look at the regulator... I think I was looking at an early wired cheat sheet from the thread #$%* using that old f150 regulator, I think it did get changed later in the discussion.

As for the coil wiring, the pamco has a dark grey shield from each pick up running side by side to the coils. From each bundle there is a green, black, and red. Green is trigger to the coil, blacks are grounded, and reds need power 12 volts(or at least that's what the poor directions said on the cb750supply.com site). On my diagram green is continuing straight to the terminal on the coils, the black exit up and ground to the frame, and the reds connect to the dark blue to get their 12 volts.

Ill double check the regulator again, but everything else seems good?

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2012, 07:38:42 pm »
Quote from: Celco link=topic=94912.msg1156491#msg1156491
Ill double check the regulator again, but everything else seems good?
[/quote
Yes, as far as I can tell. Also, the battery you have should work, as long as you don't let the bike idle for 20 minutes at a time, less if you have the headlight on. ;)

Offline luap

• LAWL
  • Expert
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2012, 08:03:39 pm »
why not make it a little easier an eliminate the 3 wire key barrel an power lights off ignition side,
question isn't the 3rd postion on the key switch for just auxiliary, motor off lights on? if so where are you getting the power from for headlight/brake runner in position 3
paul
75-550 ffsc sold, 78-550 diamonte sold, 125s grasshopper sold, 76-550 puma sold, 78-550 tracker sold, 74-550 verde diablo Sold, 74-550 Noemani finished trying to sell. 72 500 hartail in the works
www.cb-town.com
"I dont need a bike covered in paint an chrome I know exactally bout how big my coc( is"