Author Topic: Update - Esprit Rust Remover CONCENTRATE? $38.50 for 5 Gallons  (Read 21172 times)

Offline chewbacca5000

• I polish covers!
  • Old Timer
Update - Esprit Rust Remover CONCENTRATE? $38.50 for 5 Gallons
« on: September 03, 2011, 06:45:10 am »
I have searched the forum and not seen that anyone has tried Esprit Rust Remove?  The 1 gallon concentrate makes 5 gallons of rust remover, and at $38.50 the cost per gallon is only $8 bucks!  Compare that to Evaporust at $20 per gallon and the cost is much cheaper.  I have talked to the suppler on the phone and am heading in his direction next week for work and am thinking of picking up a gallon.

I would really some feedback from some members here before I make the purchase though.  I have a near perfect tank that I scored on Ebay for $20 bucks it has just a couple surface rust spots one near the petcock, and one on top of the tunnel.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 10:21:21 am by chewbacca5000 »

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: Anyone Try Esprit Rust Remover CONCENTRATE? $38.50 for 5 Gallons
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 07:52:57 am »
Go with Evaporust... Not harmful to the interior, reusable and does a great job...
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline zzpete

• You better get an
  • Expert
  • 1969 CB750, 1971 CB750
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 08:26:17 am »
+1 on the Evaporust!! Used it several times with great results!
Don't get dead!

Offline chewbacca5000

• I polish covers!
  • Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 08:50:19 pm »
Thanks!

Offline Esprit Performance

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 01:30:25 pm »
While checking my websites status, I noticed the previous comments.

I own the Esprit Performance rust remover business and websites and wanted to provide some unbiased info.

There is a 3 part article titled "Mustang Boss 302 Restoration' that discusses all aspects of chelant based rust removers. The links can be found on the home page of Rust Depot. Thus far, the author Sven Pruett compared the Esprit rust remover to Safest rust remover. He has thoroughly documented his experiences working on his Mustang. I hope this helps to put the uses and limitations of these rust removers in perspective. Although it is not for every rust removal task, some applications work very well.

I am a bit surprised that the discussion of concentrated vs non-concentrated fluids ended w/o further investigation. The Esprit concentrate when mixed is somewhat similar to the Evapo-rust mentioned; the difference is that cost per gallon is always less and you do not pay to ship water like in pre-mixed fluids (Evapo-rust, etc.).

I welcome any questions or comments.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 01:39:57 pm by Esprit Performance »
More info on chelant type rust removers and their uses is found at http://rustdepot.com

Offline chewbacca5000

• I polish covers!
  • Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 02:04:35 pm »
I might be willing to give it a go.  I have a really nice cb360 tank that I would like to use that has a good combination of rust and varnish it in.  Everyone has their own favorite way to clean tanks.  Some use a toilet bowl cleaner called "The Works". 

I use Degreaser, sand /gravel 30 minutes of shaking followed by a power washer follow by denatured alcohol.  Gotta work fast and sore arms for a couple days, but works great!

This is not so much fun in the winter time as I get soaked pretty good.  If you send me enough to do my cb360 tank I will post the pics here for all to see.  I think the 360 tank is about 3 gallons.  Just PM me and I will give you the shipping address.

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 04:53:28 am »
I tried to click on your username, but access was denied. Send your address to my email which can be found at the top of my website Rust depot. I will send a sample for evaluation.

Did you have a chance to look at the Mustang articles? For more info go to the 'how to' pages on Rust Depot or Rustremoverproducts.com

The only caveat when removing tank rust: If there are pinholes pre-existing in the tank that are sealed by rust and it is removed, the tank will leak. No small surprise, however, some are quick to blame chelant based rust removers when in fact they do not remove metal. The use of acids, ie The Works, is a strong acid and it WILL remove good metal.

I look forward to your results.
More info on chelant type rust removers and their uses is found at http://rustdepot.com

Offline chewbacca5000

• I polish covers!
  • Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 05:08:37 am »
Email sent.

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 05:51:48 am »

I tried to click on your username, but access was denied.

Insufficient number of posts yet to permit access to profile info.
We'll all be someone else's PO some day.

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 07:29:30 am »
I was looking at esprit in regard to cleaning out my tank a while ago. i made a post about the tank and the abuse it had gone through. I used Evaporust and loved it. I read the mustang article but it did make me leary becuase it seemed to good to be true. If someone has used it please respond here to inform us how well it works.... I have another tank I need to clean in the upcoming weeks.

Offline chewbacca5000

• I polish covers!
  • Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 06:18:12 pm »
Tews,

Espirt is sending me a sample and am going to give it a test run on the CB360 tank above.  I will post before and after pics.  I just got to get better pics of the inside of the tank first.  I should have the Espirt in a day or so.  Be patient the pics will come.

I am thinking of doing a general tank flush with boiling hot water and a little dawn dish detergent to break up the varnish followed by more hot water and then the Espirt.

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 07:12:31 pm »
Is that what Esprit recommend you to do? When I did Evaporust I did nothing to prep the tank. It worked wonders. Post an update when you use it.

Offline chewbacca5000

• I polish covers!
  • Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 06:22:52 am »
Tews,

Lee from ESpirt says,

I have no data on the effectiveness of the Esprit rust remover on heavy varnish in a tank. Usually the varnish is removed first. I would be curious to see if the rust remover can remove the varnish; however, I would consider heating the mixed fluid up to 150 degrees if possible. If there is little results, drain the fluid, use a carb cleaner to remove the varnish
then refill the tank with the fluid you drained out. Also use soft or distilled water for the best results.

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 06:38:48 am »
Chewie is on the right track. If you have the old dried up or sticky fuel varnish in the tank rust removers including the more caustic 'The Works' will not remove it or the rust under it.The varnish must be addressed first and removed before you tackle the rust issues. I have had good luck with my nuts and bolts and 1/2 can or so of engine degreaser and a good long day or so soak with some shaking mixed in and maybe another redo with the remaining product with a washout of soapy water at the end. Greased Lightning sold at Menards is some pretty strong cleaner also for varnish,have even seen it remove paint before on other objects.

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 07:02:30 am »
Damn that sucks.. I had the gunk in my tank but maybe not to the extreme you have. ... If you have a camera phone, you can record the inside 360 degrees.

Offline chewbacca5000

• I polish covers!
  • Old Timer
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2012, 01:31:53 pm »
Hi Tews,

Sorry it took so long to get back to this post, but I had to buy a digital camera since my last one got stolen.  So here is some better before pics of the inside of the tank along with a terrible video Derusting a Honda CB360 Tank Before - Espirt  Sorry, Tews first Youtube ever and it shows.  Try to do better next time.

My plan of attack is to boil up a few gallons of hot water which I will use to break the varnish and help the ESPIRT rust remover work quicker.

First I am going to add a gallon boiling hot water with a little dawn dish soap and shake for a minute or two then dump.

I will fill then tank up with the remaining two gallons of boiling hot water and Espirt.

Offline Johnie

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2012, 01:47:25 pm »
I did a CB360 tank last spring with a product called Safest Rust Remover which can be reused. Since the paint on the tank was so nice I did not want to use a caustic. It did a fantasic job, but if you want to get the rust off the top of the underside you will need to do it twice...once with the tank upside down. I did a test with the results and pics on this board: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=90270.msg1010176#msg1010176
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 01:50:21 pm by Johnie »
1970 CB750K0 - Candy Ruby Red
1973 CB750K3 - Candy Bacchus Olive or Sunflake Orange
1970 Chevy Chevelle SS396 - Cortez Silver
1976 GL1000 sulphur yellow (current project)

Oshkosh, WI  USA

Offline chewbacca5000

• I polish covers!
  • Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2012, 03:11:35 pm »
Thanks Johnie!

Those are some cool pics of your 360 tank there.  Sounds like Safest Rust Remover is a good product I am hoping to get similar results with Esprit.  The thing I like about Espirt besides the price is the fact that it is concentrated.  I really like the idea of being able to heat water and combine it with Esprit separately.  The reaction time Chelant based rust removers like Espirt, and Evaporust is improved with heat.

From Rustdepot.com
Will heating the fluid make any difference?
A: Yes, the mixture can be heated up to, but not exceeding 150 degrees F to speed the reaction.

The only way to heat a non concentrate rust remover is on top of your stove, and I don't like the idea of cooking anything in my soup pot other than Caribou Stew!

Thanks Again for the pics!

Offline chewbacca5000

• I polish covers!
  • Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2012, 04:02:14 pm »
Some pics after adding the boiling hot water and dawn.  Also, I am very happy the temperature came out to 160 degree after adding the Espirt to the 2 gallons of boiling water.  My plan is to leave it in there for a few days empty into a 5 gallon pal and see where I am at.  If anyone is dying to see the results I can probably dump it out sooner.

Offline chewbacca5000

• I polish covers!
  • Old Timer
Re: Update - Esprit Rust Remover CONCENTRATE? $38.50 for 5 Gallons
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2012, 10:24:33 am »
Ok so I couldn't wait 3 days so I decided to take a peak and it looks like things are progressing nicely.  Being able to fill to the brim allows the Esprit to come into contact with the entire inside of the tank at once.  The jury is still out, but the top of my gas cap looks great!

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2012, 11:03:38 am »
Ha Ha- Bet everytime you walk past that darn thing it bugs you what's going on in there.  Caps lookin' good-- Are we almost there yet Daddy- ??    ;D

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2012, 04:11:57 am »
I was looking at esprit in regard to cleaning out my tank a while ago. i made a post about the tank and the abuse it had gone through. I used Evaporust and loved it. I read the mustang article but it did make me leary becuase it seemed to good to be true. If someone has used it please respond here to inform us how well it works.... I have another tank I need to clean in the upcoming weeks.

With all the documentation, why would you be leary about using the Esprit concentrate? How did Evapo-Rust convince you to use theirs that is not concentrated and costs a lot more?

The author of the Mustang articles, Sven Pruett welcomes discussion on his blog. If you have any questions just ask in the comments at the bottom of the articles; I'm sure he would be happy to respond.

I would like to thank Kyle for his effort involved in documenting the rust removal process on his tank. He is obviously a trusted member of this community and I look forward to his results.

Other photos of objects in process can be seen on Rust Depot on the photo gallery page

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2012, 08:27:01 am »
I was leary due to the complexity of using it. Evaporust is pour and wait. Plus I couldn't find much evidence on the effectiveness of Espirt.

Offline Johnie

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2012, 08:36:00 am »
Be sure to use a mirror to look at the roof of the tank. Chances are air is trapped in there and you will still have rust up there.
1970 CB750K0 - Candy Ruby Red
1973 CB750K3 - Candy Bacchus Olive or Sunflake Orange
1970 Chevy Chevelle SS396 - Cortez Silver
1976 GL1000 sulphur yellow (current project)

Oshkosh, WI  USA

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2012, 11:15:39 am »
I was leary due to the complexity of using it. Evaporust is pour and wait. Plus I couldn't find much evidence on the effectiveness of Esprit.
Thank you for the reply,

I have always had the non-concentrated version available on my website's order page. It is approx. the same strength as Evapo-Rust and will have similar rust removing results with some minor differences.

I was planning to eliminate it due to the overwhelming price per gallon and shipping cost benefit in the concentrate. Perhaps I should leave it on for those who would prefer not to mix with water.

I would like to hear from anyone who has used Evapo-Rust(or any other chelant-based rust remover); the quantity purchased,  price including shipping, the size of their tank and your results. Maybe I can revisit the premixed market price structure.

I perceive the series of 3) Mustang Boss 302 articles as the definitive information source concerning rust removal regardless of which chelant rust remover brand used; however, I'm not sure how much more evidence is required. There are many pictures on my websites, but once you show rust removed from a few items, there isn't a lot left to see. I have hundreds of pics (many from 3rd parties) of dozens of items showing essentially the same process. I can't post all or it would slow the page load significantly. Photobucket may be of help here. Please let me know what you would like to see as I appreciate all feedback.

Does anyone know if Evapo-Rust recommends heating their fluid?

Thanks