Author Topic: A sandcast restoration....on a budget ? Ridden for the first time since the 80s  (Read 16904 times)

Offline markb

• When I finish my current project I might be a
  • Master
Congrats, nice work!  ;D
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

Offline Skipper

That's nice I'd never paint it original is best sorry i ever painted my original classic suzuki gt550 I hate it now
GSXR1000 K2
GT550 Suzuki 1975 Crank shaft just rebuilt awaiting assembly
CB 550 1976

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
Very nice work! Yes, the HM300's growl like none other. Cliff.

Offline greenjeans

• Industrial strengthed dreamer.
  • Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
Photos always look better than in person.    Plan is to ride it around until the dog days of summer and then blow it apart, paint things, plate things and put it back together to show before selling.   I'm still trying to figure out how to keep it. 
Yep, I'm the kid that figured out how to put things back together...eventually.

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
  • Helmets Save Lives. Period.
Photos always look better than in person.    Plan is to ride it around until the dog days of summer and then blow it apart, paint things, plate things and put it back together to show before selling.   I'm still trying to figure out how to keep it. 

I say keep it..they're not making more of these ya know ;)  Unless you're trying to buy a house, or put a kid through college, why sell it?

Offline bgfootball67

• Hot Shot
What tires did u go with & were did u get them?
Columbus VinMoto
Ohio Cafe Racers website - http://www.ohiocaferacers.com

Offline tweakin

• tear down
  • Master
Nice work greenjeans.  Way to bring back the bike from the dead. ;D

Offline markb

• Master
Or you could always sell it to me.  ;)  ;D

Offline greenjeans

• Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
For tires, I went with the Conti-twins.   They look right on there.    Only have about 20 miles on them - then the rains started.

I'd love to keep it, but there is a house for that is coming up for sale a few doors down from mine that I want to get my hands on.   Hopefully the timing works out.     To do a proper restoration, I still need to get fenders and bits chromed, purchase a new seat cover & foam (or just bite the bullet and throw a grand at Yamiya) re-plate the bolts (that's the cheapest in the equation) and paint things - thankfully, I can do that myself (about $300).    Chrome is going to run me another $500 bucks for the fenders, shock bodies and a few other bits.   So, I'm looking at another $2000 - $2300 to do this thing up nice and shiny.   

So.....my "budget build"  is still a budget - just a bit more than I originally guessed. 

I have no idea what this would go for on ebay in it's current state - I'm guessing maybe 10-12k ?    If I get it all shiney and new again, it seems like the last couple went for right around 20k on ebay.   I think if I got $12k as it sits, I'd have to take it and give someone else the glory of finishing.

Any opinions there ?   My numbers high ?

Offline markb

• Master
It seems to me that the sandcasts haven't gone for as much as they did a couple of years ago, unless it's completely original in great shape or a super nice restoration with all the VIN-correct parts or a real low VIN.  A VIN in the 3xxx range is a plus.  Numbers less than 3950 have the left hand horn frame (my definition of early) and could (should) have other sought after goodies like 2-hole airboxes and finless oil filter covers.  This definately bumps the price a notch.  Knowing what I've learned from this thread I would guess that your guess of $10-12,000 could be in the ballpark.  If you put another $2500 into it I think you could get that out of it too but I don't think you'll hit $20,000.  Really of lot of it seems to depend on the timing.  Some haven't gone for nearly what I thought they would and others have gone way over.  I'm not putting yours down, I think you've got a nice one and you've put a lot of good work into it and maybe I'd be surprised.  Just my opinion.

Offline dhall57

• Old Timer
  • The 70's! SOHC4 Honda's & Marcia Brady of course.
You've got the holy grail of CB750's the 69 sandcast. IMO unless it was a family emergency I would never sell it. If you do Jeans I think you'll hate yourself later for doing it. Hold on to it!!
1970 CB750KO
1971 CB500KO-project bike
1973 CB350G- project bike
1974 CB750K4-project bike
1974 CB750K4
1976 CB750K6
1977 GL1000
1997 Harley Wideglide

Offline greenjeans

• Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
I know I'd hate myself for selling it eventually.   Thing is, I'm not a collector and will likely never be - just me.   If I had it, I'd ride it.  I'd leave it places where I shouldn't and I could see myself worrying about it.     

Good thing is, I really don't have to sell it.   There are just some things that could possibly come up in the next 2-3 months where that money could really help.   Timing.    It's all in the timing.   Who knows, maybe things go differently than I'm predicting - certainly nothing is set in stone, but it will sell one way or the other.   Just have to figure out when and if I will continue the restoration.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:15:08 am by greenjeans »

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
List it on CL and ask $15K!
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline vnz00

Hi Green Jeans, for what you paid for it and what it owes you, Id hang onto it unless you really need the money....

You know that if you ever need the money, within 2 weeks it can be listed and sold on ebay 'as is' and still make good money.  The reality is, it is a clean, original machine, and any restorer/collector knows that the original machines are the ones to start with - no trying to source hard to get parts, at big $$.  When you are buying a 'restored' machine that has had paint or plating work done, gauges rebuilt etc, it is no longer original.  And if not done to the petential buyers standard, can put people off. 

What you have there, in my opinion, will appeal to a larger market.  Make the best of what you have and keep it clean and running regularly.  You can still enjoy it, park it etc.  Just dont damage it ;)

Start spending money on plating, and it makes everything else appear old.  And to do a nut and bolt restoration is exceptionally time consuming and expensive, and in reality maybe only yield you a couple of grand more than what you would get for it now.  Ask me how I know ;)

Hope this helps you.

Offline dhall57

• Old Timer
  • The 70's! SOHC4 Honda's & Marcia Brady of course.
Fix and replace only what has to be so its a safe and reliable bike. Leave everything else alone and just ride and enjoy it. Doesn't have to be a museum piece with ever nut and bolt redone. I would much rather have a close to a original bike and a everyday rider than one your afraid to take off down the road.

Keep it greenjeans it's a sandcast ;) ;)
1970 CB750KO
1971 CB500KO-project bike
1973 CB350G- project bike
1974 CB750K4-project bike
1974 CB750K4
1976 CB750K6
1977 GL1000
1997 Harley Wideglide