Author Topic: How to remove those carbs without the swear words.  (Read 5462 times)

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
How to remove those carbs without the swear words.
« on: May 13, 2006, 09:11:21 pm »
It's a well-known fact that girls like guys who don't swear all the time, so if you want to be "in" with her, try this method of removing the carbs next time: insert a breaker bar or long pipe across the face of the carbs, put a rag around the end where it contacts the head, and pull.

See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline putnaja1

• Hot Shot
  • '77 CB 550k -Was gonna cafe, but looks cool stock!
    • Jason's Wacky Website
Re: How to remove those carbs without the swear words.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 09:40:43 pm »
I've also seen guys heat the rubber tubes between the head/intakes and the carbs with a heat gun to make the rubber a little more plyable.  I gotta try the breakerbar method next time I pull off my carbs!  Now if only there was a trick to getting the V-Four carbs off!  I think a few swear words are still required for those!  :)

Jason
Play Pinball!
My Gallery!
"The world is divided into people who do things, people who get the credit and people who continually criticize.  Try, if you can, to belong to the first class of people.  There's far less competition"

AntiRiceCRX

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 09:43:14 pm »
i usually unhook the fuel lines and cables, wiggle the carbs up and down and they pop right out, you guys sure you loosened the screws for the clamps? haha

Offline chung

• Hot Shot
  • Giddy Up
    • chungfucycles.com
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 09:51:58 pm »
The trick is slipping that bar through the frame to install them. Taking #$%* apart is easy, reinstalling it can be.......
Member#2815
1971/76 CB750 Hack @970cc,
1975 CG750K
1970 CB350,
1972 YDS7, 250
1972 YR5, 350
1977 RD400,
1978 Piaggio Grande/Batavas HS50 Special
1981 XS650 Special II

Offline Jonesy

• Shop Rat
  • Old Timer
  • "Damn! These HM300 Pipes Are Expensive!!!"
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2006, 05:01:55 am »
The 750... HA! THAT'S EASY!!!!

What I REALLY wanna see is how to reassemble the 550 carbs/airbox without swear words! ;D
"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing people out there having a good time on motorcycles; it makes me take another look." -Steve McQueen

Offline 6adan

• Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2006, 05:40:34 am »
If you think removing and installing the carbs on a SOHC 750 is bad you should try it on a DOHC 750 with stock air box, it makes the SOHC seem like a walk in the park.Dannie
1970 CB750 JDM,1975 GL1000, 1979 GL1000, 1979 CBX, 1995 GL1500, 2000 GL1500CT Valkyrie, 2008 GL1800 Trike.

Offline jdpas29

• Hot Shot
  • my bike is 100% sandcast!!
    • My band = white bread
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006, 05:56:50 am »
i have the best trick for getting them back on fellas....  after many swear words and numerous adult beverages i realized that the best way to get them back on was to put two of the intake rubbers on the block and the other two on the carbs.  in other words.  on the left side of the carbs put 2 rubber boots.  and on the right side, put 2 rubber boots on the block.  make sure they are turned the right way to match up to the angle that the stems are at.  this takes a lot of the wiggling and shoving out of the job.
cars are gay.

Offline puppytrax

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2006, 07:35:44 am »
What I REALLY wanna see is how to reassemble the 550 carbs/airbox without swear words! ;D

I managed to get the carbs back on my CB500 without too much trouble...I assembled everything on the bench; carbs, isolators, manifolds & clamps...left the airbox boots off, stuck the airbox over the carb inlets, and pushed/twisted everything in place...snugged up the manifold nuts, pushed the airbox back against the frame, inserted the airbox boots into their respective holes 1 by 1, folding them to get them on the box first, then push over the carb inlets...no cussing, no breaker bars, and a minimum of skin lost (hey -  it grows back!)...not a fun job, but do-able...

Only problem is, now my carbs are slow/sticking again...argh!!!...
...stock 1972 CB500 '500 Four' undergoing re-assembly...
...Stock 1972 CL450 'Scrambler' also being re-assembled...

motorcycleclaude75

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2006, 11:10:09 am »
Hey Puppytrax,

The way you described the procedure is exactly how I put mine back on.  But did I ever swear getting them off.  Now I know the easy way the next time I have to do it.

This way only works if your boots are in good condition (pliable) because if they are dry, they will tear.

Claude

gasguzler

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2006, 11:21:34 am »
Have I missed something here?? I lever off my carbs with a full wooden broomstick - one end on the floor the other end is used to pry that sucker out tout suite my friends... no muss no fuss, no risk to my hand modelling gig....  ;D

Works well for sliding those carbs back into the boots once you're done, after I've hooked it all up and jiggled it into place.

Swearing part kicks in once I realize one of my needles is still *$%k'n jamming....

p.s. my wife STILL sticks around  :P

Offline SuperVel

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2006, 06:28:21 pm »
Since the subject is carbs on the 750, when can you tell the rubber tubes to the cylinders are too far gone to keep?  Mine are somewhat supple but aged.  do they have to feel like stone before you change them? 

Thanks and take care

Marty
Original owner 1977 CB750F

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2006, 06:34:07 pm »
If they are not cracked and still seal well, I'd say they are OK. I don't know if it helps any, but I occasionally spray some silicone on a clean rag and wipe mine both outside and inside (whenever the carbs have to come off).
We'll all be someone else's PO some day.

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2006, 08:47:20 pm »
Now, there's a tip worth remembering!
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline puppytrax

• Expert
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2006, 07:08:52 am »
This is a copy of a post I made in another <gasp!> Forum...

Dis-assembly = CB500/CB550

- Take off the side cover, battery band, and disconnect & remove the battery
- Disconnect fuel lines at tank petcock
- Take off the seat, tool tray, and gas tank
- Unbolt & remove the battery frame and air cleaner box
- Unscrew throttle cable adjusting nuts and remove throttle cables
- Unscrew and remove all 8 carb insulator clamps
- Unscrew & remove all 4 airbox bootie clamps
- The airbox should now be loose in the frame; poke the booties carefully back into the airbox one at a time. Take care not to tear them. Remove them from the airbox as you poke them through.
- Remove 8 manifold nuts & washers.
- Pry/pull carbs & manifold off engine. Push carb inlets into airbox to get extra room to rotate carbs downward to valley and wiggle them out of the frame. Watch for bowl vents lines and fuel lines getting caught while removing.
* - On the CB500, the left manifold has the clutch cable passing through the carb rack-to-manifold space. It's wise to separate that manifold from the carb rack before trying to extricate the carbs. I leave that manifold bolted on and pop the insulators and carb rack off it.

Re-assembly

- Lube carb spigots with silicone or similar lube [I used Vaseline] to make it easier to pop the insulators on. I also use Vaseline to hold the new manifold o-rings in place. Place airbox in frame; wiggle carb rack into frame, placing carb inlets in airbox holes to gain room and lever carbs/manifold up and onto head studs. [For CB550, install left manifold on head and route clutch cable before popping carbs in place]. Replace nuts & washers.
- Replace airbox booties one at a time, starting with either #2 or #3. Silicone spray works well here. Fold the bootie to get it in place, then carefully tug, pull, push, and poke the bootie in place with the lip in the airbox and the mouth over the carb. It's a trial & error process, but the learning curve is quick. Next do the two outer booties. When all are in place, rotate the two outer booties (the angled ones - you did notice that two were straight and two were angled, didn't you?) until the "casting lines" on the bootie are at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock. I do the same for the two interior booties just for uniformity sake.
- Replace all 8 manifold insulator clamps
- Replace all 4 bootie clamps
- Replace throttle cables and adjust.
- Replace air cleaner box, battery frame, battery, seat, gas tank, fuel lines, and anything else that you may have also taken off.

This is all over-simplified, and if I left something out, my apologies.

As noted elsewhere, a light smear of silicone [I used Vaseline] on the spigots will ease their removal next time...

With practice, you can get removal time down to less than 20 minutes. And you will have plenty of practice, I assure you...

I hope this is some help!  ;)
...stock 1972 CB500 '500 Four' undergoing re-assembly...
...Stock 1972 CL450 'Scrambler' also being re-assembled...

Offline grandelatte

• CB750K1-ish Frankenstein
    • Life is Xampericious!
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 09:03:40 am »
It's a well-known fact that girls like guys who don't swear all the time, so if you want to be "in" with her, try this method of removing the carbs next time: insert a breaker bar or long pipe across the face of the carbs, put a rag around the end where it contacts the head, and pull.

mine was stuck so BAD, your method didn't work.  i had to use a motorcycle ratchet tie-down to pull the carb body off.

(sorry this is a real old thread, but i hope someone will benefit from this.)

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2009, 01:51:00 am »
For putting them back on, I lube them with silicone grease, put a 2x4 across the faces of the carbs and insert a pry bar to the board from above through the frame using the frame as a fulcrum. Pull back and they pop right on, I think the grease helps seal them too.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
If you love it, set it free, if it stays it's probably one of my 750's.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2009, 02:03:31 am »
Use a ratchet tie-down and a thin piece of steel like a metal ruler, slide the metal bar in behind the carbs where they hook onto the airbox rubbers now run the tie-down from one end of the bar right around the front of the frame and back to the other end of the bar.
Cinch up the ratchet and the carbs will slide on evenly.
Removal can be done by reversing this method and running the tie-down toward the back of the bike, the carbs will pull off easily. :)
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline KeithB

• Hot Shot
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2009, 03:55:16 am »
I don't get it...what's the fun of wrenching without a few choice swear words now and then ;D ;D
Nanahan Man

Offline TomC

• Hot Shot
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2009, 12:03:58 pm »
Hi Group
     I agree with KeithB.
     For putting carburetors back on I have two wood working clamps. I use them to apply pressure at both ends of the carburetor rack as I wiggle the carburetor rack on.
     I keep several old wood broom handles in the garage. They come in handy.
     This thread will soon be 4 years old.
      TomC in Ohio
I don't get it...what's the fun of wrenching without a few choice swear words now and then ;D ;D
TomC in Ohio
76 CB750 F1 Daily Rider
76 CB550 stalled project
76 CB400F Injured Reserve

Offline sda619

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2011, 08:27:32 am »
wow i know this is an old thread, I've tried everything and i cant get the #*$in things off. I dont want to damage anything but i guess its going to have to get ugly. besides leverage techniques described below is there any other "trick" people use?
1978 CB750F first project ever.

Offline GammaFlat

• Master
  • humanitas, qualitas, quantitas and velocitas
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2011, 08:41:42 am »
You may want to heat the insulators with a hair dryer. 
K6
K7 
Suzuki GN400 - Ignition fixed!
03 KLR650 - Doesn't do anything very well but.. well.. does everything.

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
  • WARNING: Objects in mirror appear to be LOSING!
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2011, 09:15:27 am »
wow i know this is an old thread, I've tried everything and i cant get the #*$in things off. I dont want to damage anything but i guess its going to have to get ugly. besides leverage techniques described below is there any other "trick" people use?

Despite the title of this thread, I'd go ahead and use some swear words.  They do double duty: Releases some of your frustration so you are less likely to reach for the hammer, AND get you in fine form for golf season!
Can I have a motorcycle when I get old enough?
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Lot’s of things. You’ve been watching me.
Will you show me all of them?
Sure.
Is it hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. It’s having the right attitudes that’s hard.

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2011, 09:56:46 am »
Having a mate or your missus (if she's bike savvy) give you a hand helps big time, run a jack handle or some thin pipe across the front of the carbs and both push back, usually frees them.
Using the trailer tiedown was my most successful and non time wasting way to pop mine off.
Squirt some lube onto the isolators as well, they are probably cracked and hard by now.
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline GammaFlat

• Master
  • humanitas, qualitas, quantitas and velocitas
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2011, 10:15:34 am »
I like using the handle of a baseball bat for prying them out.... no padding required.  If that doesn't work out you can always turn around the bat and beat something up with the bat instead of swear. 
K6
K7 
Suzuki GN400 - Ignition fixed!
03 KLR650 - Doesn't do anything very well but.. well.. does everything.

Offline somesuch

• Hot Shot
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2011, 10:51:08 am »
For putting them back on, I lube them with silicone grease, put a 2x4 across the faces of the carbs and insert a pry bar to the board from above through the frame using the frame as a fulcrum. Pull back and they pop right on, I think the grease helps seal them too.

that is what do as well, plus head them a bit with a heat gun.....very easy.

--Nick