Author Topic: Jetting for pod filters  (Read 19111 times)

Offline anotherCB

• Hot Shot
Re: Jetting for pod filters
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2012, 08:41:56 pm »
This gets more and more like politics in the US, airbox vs. pod, republicans vs. democrats....

Why does one side always have to pursuade the other side they are right?

You want that perfectly restored classic with airbox? Good. You want that cool cafe with perfectly tuned pods? Nothing wrong with that. Oh no sorry,..... it doesn't work, how do you want to bring pro-airbox and pro-choice people together  :D
1978 CB750K, 2016 R1200 GS/LC, 1973 R75/5

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2012, 08:48:11 pm »
You want that cool cafe with perfectly tuned pods? Nothing wrong with that.

And there in lies the problem, no such thing using the stock Honda carbs.... They were designed to run with the well engineered velocity stacks...  There is no doubt the airbox will run better, sometimes 30-40 years of experiences and simple engineering principals  out weigh "cool looks"....   Just look at the amount of people here that shared your opinion that are now running the airbox......
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline anotherCB

• Hot Shot
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2012, 08:59:19 pm »
As I said, politics....

If anyone is in the market for an airbox, check the for sale section in the next days ;)

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2012, 09:01:26 pm »
I totally get why some people like the look of podsw but seriously, there's no politics involved if you understand how the stock carbs work.....FACT......now there's something politicians could learn about... ;)  {if they wanted too}   :o
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2012, 11:20:55 pm »
As I said, politics....
"Politics" infers that bargaining will induce some sort of progress.  Unfortunately, the laws of physics remain the same no matter what a political or popular body mandates.  You can't vote for changing the speed of light and make it come true.  It's a physical constant.  Live with it!
Same is true for the way carbs work, on physical principles that were carefully balanced/adjusted to the stock air box characteristics; i.e.
The main jet, the throttle valve, the main air jet, the emulsion tube holes, the slide cutaway, the venturi shape, and the pilot circuit parameters were all balanced to the pressures existent with the stock air box over street operating conditions where all throttle positions are useful (as opposed to the race track where only one or two throttle positions are useful).

Is it folly, arrogance, or ignorance, that makes style mavens believe a cosmetic change cannot effect the physical balance of a well engineered machine?

I'm of the belief that the stock air box is sleek and beautiful for what it represents, and PODs are rather ugly things that make the bike look like a cheap afterthought or a freak of nature.  (See pic of "attractive" external filters below.)

Does installing big boobs, big lips, and big hair on a woman really make a better woman throughout her lifetime?  I suppose if "superficial" is the goal, then the answer is, yes.  But, if you install big boobs on an ballet dancer, Olympic gymnast, or figure skater, her previous career is finished.

There are times when enough engine modifications may demand alterations to induction that the stock setup can't enable.  But then, that's not the stock bike, is it?
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline scunny

• Old Timer
  • don't call me expert
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2012, 02:45:15 am »
"Is it folly, arrogance, or ignorance, that makes style mavens believe a cosmetic change cannot effect the physical balance of a well engineered machine?"

been called a lot worse so thats ok. I'm running pods, under no illusion that I have improved the performance of bikey. it has been a battle to get it running to the point where I'm comfortable with it's overall running thru the rev ranges. is it perfect, well no.
if you want stock, go stock, if you don't....don't. but be prepared to do a lot of tinkering and thinking.
past-cb100,ts250,cb500,cb500,gs1000,gs650g.phillips traveller
present-CB 650 retro
            VTR1000F3
           XL250S riverbed rocket
           TS250[sold]
           TS185[sold]
           XL125S[sold]
           MT50 (white)
           MT50 (red)[sold]
           KN250/XS400 project
           XR/XL250 bitsa under construction
           SL100[sold]
           XL250R
           pedal(pub bike) leaks oil
my gallery http://gallery.sohc4.net/members/personal/scunny

Offline cben750f0

• nothin draws attention like a classic bike!!
  • Master
  • '75 CB750F0 Gladstone NQLD OZ
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2012, 08:40:29 pm »
not polatics, i have an wiseco 836 kitted, free flowing exhaust, was running pods, after a dyno tune, and we could never...i mean NEVER get the thing to run as good as it did with the air box, not to mention, the erratic way it ran with a strong side wind. the mid range was never right, the top end was ok, if you wanted to run 140+ mains jets, with WOT..... and did i mentions the bog we got off the line, we changed slow jets, cleaned the carbs about a dozen times, set floats high, low, factory.... tried different clip positions.... then i put the air box back on with a foam finer filter in it, LOWERed the needle a clip, and put 125 mains in and it runs a tan plug, got rid of the constant throttle hesitation at 3-4k rpm, and have a better mid range...YES pods look fuggen awesome, buti like to RIDE my bike...everyday....

cant see the polatics in that...

sorry

peace

PS yes i spelt politics wrong....twice dammit.. 8)
you are never to old, to act like a kid... be safe
funny thing,chasing someone down hill on a bike 30 years older than theirs..
he said \\\\\\\'it was like watching a 250kg unguided weapon getting stuck up you bum\\\\\\\ http://www.bikepics.com/members/trixtrem/

Offline anotherCB

• Hot Shot
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2012, 09:07:02 pm »
Man I wish I had time to reply, however have to go back to the garage to work on my "fuggen awesome" pods  ;)

Hey what about stacks? Any lovers/haters out there? The box has stacks in it so y'all must love them?

Offline cben750f0

• nothin draws attention like a classic bike!!
  • Master
  • '75 CB750F0 Gladstone NQLD OZ
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2012, 09:11:13 pm »
stacks look cool, have had no experience with them, i wasnt knocking btw, cos i do love the look, just my experience... ;D

apparently they are great, but bricks and small wild;life are the only thing they filter... someone will know though.

peace
you are never to old, to act like a kid... be safe
funny thing,chasing someone down hill on a bike 30 years older than theirs..
he said \\\\\\\'it was like watching a 250kg unguided weapon getting stuck up you bum\\\\\\\ http://www.bikepics.com/members/trixtrem/

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2012, 09:25:51 pm »
Man I wish I had time to reply, however have to go back to the garage to work on my "fuggen awesome" pods  ;)

Hey what about stacks? Any lovers/haters out there? The box has stacks in it so y'all must love them?

It all depends on how you go about filtering them. Straight velocity stacks are designed to run filter less, usually for racing, anything that gets in the way of the incoming air like brass mesh or foam socks screws up how they work by disrupting the air and causing turbulence, which makes it impossible to tune correctly.... Even MotoGP bikes run stacks into a large airbox...
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 09:27:35 pm by Retro Rocket »
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline Rgconner

• Hot Shot
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2012, 10:21:14 pm »
Ah yes, the Lincoln Douglas debates, where Lincoln defended the use of Stacks vrs stocky filters...
1975 CB550K aka "Grease Monkey"