Author Topic: Trying to think of a extra kill switch of sorts. Will this idea work?  (Read 5475 times)

Offline Celco

• Enthusiast
I am building up a CB550 cafe and planning my wiring harness.  The bike is going to be kick only and only have wires for the tail and head lights.  I found the perfect wiring harness today when I was looking to add a master kill switch seperate from the ignition key. 

c/o this site right here!

If I am running my wires more or less like that I was thinking of adding in a little flush mount toggle switch to a relay that will cut power to the coils so it wouldn't be as easy to connect some wires and ride off. And since I want no buttons really shown (think minimal to the extreme) I could also use that toggled relay as a kill switch for the bike too.  According to that wiring above, could you add 12v automotive relay and run it off of one of these to trigger the relay and it wouldn't work unless the ignition was on.  Would that work for what I am trying to do?  Use it as a theft deterrent and a kill switch.  Maybe I could add a small hidden led so you wouldn't know that systems are a go!

Offline Celco

• Enthusiast
Re: Trying to think of a extra kill switch of sorts. Will this idea work?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 07:32:37 pm »
Ill probably be interested in using one of these barrel ignition switches. 
One of These!

Offline phil71

• Master
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 08:30:34 pm »
bikes get put in vans, and anyone who knows anything will just drag a jumper from the battery to the +side of the coil.. down the road they go.
.. make it hard to roll somehow if you want a fighting chance.
I will never understand why someone would take the time to make an 'arty' wiring diagram .. it's halloween-y and all, but goofy to read.

Offline tlbranth

• Master
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 08:34:31 pm »
I am building up a CB550 cafe and planning my wiring harness.  The bike is going to be kick only and only have wires for the tail and head lights.  I found the perfect wiring harness today when I was looking to add a master kill switch seperate from the ignition key. 

c/o this site right here!

If I am running my wires more or less like that I was thinking of adding in a little flush mount toggle switch to a relay that will cut power to the coils so it wouldn't be as easy to connect some wires and ride off. And since I want no buttons really shown (think minimal to the extreme) I could also use that toggled relay as a kill switch for the bike too.  According to that wiring above, could you add 12v automotive relay and run it off of one of these to trigger the relay and it wouldn't work unless the ignition was on.  Would that work for what I am trying to do?  Use it as a theft deterrent and a kill switch.  Maybe I could add a small hidden led so you wouldn't know that systems are a go!
I'm confused. You say kick only, yet the diagram shows a starter and solenoid. I don't see any ignition switch. That said, a single-pole single throw switch between the "starter switch" and the coils would do it. I don't see why you'd need a relay.
Don't own a Vanagon
Don't work at Boeing
Life is good

1970 CB750 K0
1975 GL1000
1999 GL1500
2002 VT750-CDA ACE - Momma's bike
Terry

Offline Celco

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 09:26:02 pm »
Phil... understandable about getting a bike in a van.  Im no stranger when it comes to getting a bike stolen.  If anyone has 1/4 of a brain they can figure out how to get something started eventually.  So maybe don't call it a theft deterrent, just a joy ride deterrent... and mainly in my case just a kill switch.  And yes... the cartoon wiring diagrams are nutso! 

tblranth...  I said more of less.  I will not be wiring the starter solenoid or the starter up.  I suppose just wire RED(w/fuse), RED(from battery), and WHITE/RED(from rectifier) will all just be wired together eliminating the starter circuit. 

After a little more research I found what I want... I just want to know if this will work how I think it will work.  (i.e. do the coils just need a constant 12v to keep them going) 
Here is a site of pretty much what I want to build, just asking the electrical gods here if it will work. 
Here is the picture of what I want to happen.  Go to that website to see the button in action...
So.... would something like that do-hicky work to kill power to the coils and be able to energize everything just fine?

(FYI: I will be using the Pamco super duper ignition kit from cb750supply.com)

Offline phil71

• Master
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 12:02:21 am »
i dunno, the fact that the coils are right under the gas tank pretty much makes all that extra wiring.... just extra wiring. It'll work, but if it were me, I'd drill one hole in that rotor and use a disc lock. Joy ride thwarted instantly.
    If you really wanna make it hard to start, run dirty carbs.

Offline Kong

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 06:11:32 am »
Yes, you are correct.  Coils need a constant power input to operate, power to coils is not intermittent.  Providing your power through a relay and then putting a (kill) switch in either the power-supply, trigger line, or on some relays even the ground will work just fine.  As for hiding the switch that's up to you, but put it in a place where it can be reached; you don't want to have the bike fall over with the engine running and not be able to reach the kill switch.

I started to write up an explanation of what relays are for with an example of a very good use of one, but it got to be too long and it would have bored the hell out of you.  Basically you use them where one of two things has to be overcome.  The first is long wire runs, but we don't have those on motorcycles.  The second is to protect switches from burnout of the contact points due to high power passage, but we don't have that on bike's either.  So there's really no place for one on a bike.

Long Version:

Here is a place where I used a relay for all the right reasons on a boat.  On the boat the batteries were in the back, the controls were in the middle, and a large water pump was in the rear.  The pump used a lot of power but to get power to it through its control switch required a run of wire from the battery to the console and then back to the pump itself - a run of over 30 feet of wire.  Because the wire run was so long and the power requirements of the pump so great a very large ($$$) wire would be required to feed it.  Also, there is a lot of power loss in 30 feet of wire.

In this case the use of a relay was warranted.  By running a heavy power line through a relay in the back of the boat high power to the pump was maintained because the distance traveled was short and then a much longer but lighter gauge wire was used from the console to the relay to trigger it.  In this case the relay did everything a relay is there for.  I was able to use a light duty switch at the console because the trigger amperage was fractional and I was able to use a short heavy gauge wire between the battery and the pump so the pump got maximum power with next to no line loss.  There is no similar power requirement on a motor cycle.  All the power draws are low and the distance from the power supply to any one of them even including the routing to the hand controls and back, is short. 
2002 FXSTD/I  Softail Deuce
2001 Acura (Honda) CL Type-S
1986 Honda Rebel, 450
1978 Honda CB550K
1977 Honda CB550K

Offline Rigid

• She likes a
  • Expert
  • Speak from personal experience, or don't
    • KingCustomCycles
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 06:16:23 am »
Normally the problem is getting them running, not keeping them from running.  I have many bikes that are naturally theft deterrant that way.  If you want to push, on flat tires, knock yourself out.....
36 years of this stuff, here to help.

Hinomaru

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 07:14:52 am »
Is it just an extra ignition theft deterrent you are looking for besides having a real kill switch?

If so, how about incorporating one of those lanyard or tether type kill switches you find on dirt and drag bikes, Jet skis, ATV’s, etc. These are normally used to kill power to the coil. This type of design would act as secondary ignition key – so to speak. Leave it plugged in during normal operation and remove it when desired. Of course, you probably wouldn’t mount it on the handlebars in plain view as they are originally designed. Perhaps located in a more discreet location?