Author Topic: Cb750 K0 -oil gallery plug under shifter cover?  (Read 13915 times)

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
Cb750 K0 -oil gallery plug under shifter cover?
« on: December 15, 2011, 07:06:40 pm »
Another K0 question - my K0 engine is leaking oil from the shifter cover quite badly and after pulling off the cover and tearing the gasket of course, I notice an oil gallery, I think it is, the goes right under the engine through the case. I looked at a spare set of cases I have and there's a plug in that gallery. Should the K0 have a plug there? I honestly didn't notice it there on my other K0's but really dodn't want to take the cover off one of those and tear another gasket.
Plus, after looking at the picture there's a small crack at one of the screw holes for the cover. All the screws do tighten down and it looks like the thread start down in the hole.
Do you use some sealant on your gaskets to help stop this?
Thanks is advance.
Cliff.

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
Re: Cb750 K0 -oil gallery plug under shifter cover?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 07:30:53 pm »
A rubber plug goes in there.
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline mick7504

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 07:58:49 pm »
Those rubber plugs are a trap if they come out unknowingly.
I don't think that they are listed as a part by Honda from memory.

Previously I've machined an aluminium truck brake shoe rivet to an interference step fit in the hole and then sealed it in with 3 bond.
If I was you
I'd be worried about me.

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 08:25:22 pm »
There's no reference to it in my parts book. If I made a plug it better not get sucked back into the engine or is it an outlet hole so the oil is pressured at that point then? Thanks, Cliff.

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 08:29:40 pm »
Cliff I think you will be fine if you stuff in Wrigley's chewing gum,or Beechnut, but do not use the Bubble stuff,she will Blow---------  ;)  Merry Christmas and glad to see your getting those hands,and Dog dirty also,saw that cute pooch in your other video thread  on the start-up  ----  :)

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 08:48:35 pm »
Spearmint or Peppermint?   ;D   Cliff.

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 09:02:55 pm »
I have read on 'other' forums that Cinnamon might be best  ???

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 09:05:49 pm »
yuch!  :(

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 09:09:31 pm »
Did find these pics in an official manual,looks like a gasket goes over that hole.Not much help but we do like the pictures.   E

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 09:16:31 pm »
Yes, the gasket just covers the hole but I guess they figured to stop any problems in the later motors with a plug. The later one has a raised edge which fits into a recess around the hole. As Mick said I guess I can make one up and glue it in there. cliff

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 09:22:53 pm »
Show us some pics for future reference Cliff on your fix as I and a lot of others may have to refer to that sometime.. What year engine are you into right now anyway? 

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 09:26:32 pm »
It's a 12/69 Eric, in the 16000 range.  Cliff.

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 11:09:07 pm »
I could ask the Sandcast guys, there's some fellows there that are scary in the knowledge they have of these bikes. Cliff.

Offline Kevin D

• Old Timer
  • SE Michigan
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 04:54:41 am »
This is a K1, but pretty sure its the same. I think thats the oil line from the scavenge pump to the trans/clutch. I remember reading a thread where the line got blocked when the plug was pushed back in a ways then the trans/clutch was starved for oil. If the plug isn't where it is supposed to be, I'd make sure it wasn't in that line somewhere.

Sorry for the dirty/leaky motor picture:
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 04:59:02 am by Kevin D »
71 CB750 K1
100,000 miles
Original Owner
———past———
70 SL100/125/150
70 Candy BlueGreen CB 750 K0
————————————————-
Former Honda parts kid/counter kid/do all
—————————————————————-
Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right
Genius is 99% perspiration, 1% inspiration

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 05:06:29 am »
Yes, the gasket just covers the hole but I guess they figured to stop any problems in the later motors with a plug. The later one has a raised edge which fits into a recess around the hole. As Mick said I guess I can make one up and glue it in there. cliff
If you do that check the length carefully so you do not block the trans feed galley. As an aside I have seen the main galley plug (under the alternator gasket) missing upon disassemby. Not good.

Offline mick7504

• Old Timer
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2011, 05:26:15 am »
Like Mike said, be carefull not to block the oil feed gallery to the trans bearing.

Here you can see the take off port.

This is the oil pump area.

The next 2 are the cross tube and the plug on the other end of the engine case.
These are on a set of "F" cases but I think that they should all be similar if not the same setup as the "K".

If I was you
I'd be worried about me.

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2011, 05:32:37 am »
Excellent pics as usual Mick. ;) The last pic showing the aluminum plug is interesting as it is just about impossible to bang out of there. In my pursuit of a complete case douching I have drilled into the plug and tapped it for a 6mm Allen head bolt with a copper washer. I safety wire it after.

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2011, 08:14:57 am »
Great information as usual, thanks guys! I found that little gallery just inside the hole with a much more powerful light late last night and checked the pictures of the other motors I have worked on. However all the motors have been apart previous to me working on them. It appears the plug is an upgrade then and the engineers hoped the gasket would prevent any oil leaking.   I though the stator gasket was leaking as well but once I got the shifter cover off the stator gasket was dry in there. I took the precaution of putting a bit of Permatex on the rubber bungs that the wires run through. the oil from the shifter cover leak must have run down the bottom of the engine towards the front. It was a good amount of oil coming out and burning off on the exhaust pipe.
There is a danger then of making a plug that would eventually plug the oil passage just inside the hole and help end the life of a good motor.
Could all this come down to a poor gasket and OE, operator error, a poor gasket install?  :-[ :-[
Hondaman suggests putting a bit of the 3Bond or something like it on the gasket.
thanks again, Cliff.

Offline markb

• When I finish my current project I might be a
  • Master
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2011, 11:58:41 am »
Replying so I can find this thread later.  I gotta check this out on mine.  I don't think I was ever aware of it.   :o
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

Offline CB750F2

• Hot Shot
  • Pat's first Honda 750 F2
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2011, 12:43:19 pm »
The plug is identified in the F2 parts breakdown. Page E14 -Crankcase N0.2 Part No. 11209-300-000 Plug, Sealing Rubber, 8.5mm. Pat
Regards
Pat from Australia

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2011, 01:14:07 pm »
Thanks Mark! It will be interesting to see what yours are like. If there is a plug it's a special one as it's not a round hole, there's a flat spot on one side. In the newer case it as a round hole.
Cliff.

Offline markb

• When I finish my current project I might be a
  • Master
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2011, 08:54:15 am »
This has really got me scratching my head.   ???  I happen to have 3 sandcast cases apart that I looked at, 100, 1490 and 1789.  None of them have a plug!  I ran a stiff wire in the hole all the way to the far side of the case and nothing.  Engine 1490 was apart when I got it and 100 has been hot tanked and ultrasonically cleaned so maybe the plugs fell out.  I just tore down 1789, which didn't show any evidence of previous disassembly and haven't had a chance to clean up the cases yet so I don't think a plug fell out of that one.  When I worked on engines 5491 and 12029 I don't recall seeing a plug and neither one is leaking.  I wonder what the odds are that I happen to lose at least 3 plugs without realiziing it.  Cliff, I wish I would have seen your post about the flat spot on one side before I checked out my cases.  I'm pretty sure all of mine are round but I wasn't really looking for that but I'll go back and check.  In your first post did you say that it looked like the hole was threaded?
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

Offline josephus

• OLD BLUE
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2011, 09:13:39 am »
I have had the same problem with losing the plug . My solution was put a properly sized O ring in and put the cover on. the cover compresses the O ring and stops the leak. as for the bolts going thru the side cover and into the engine case i clean the threaded holes and bolts and put some nail polish on them . my side plate stays dry as a bone.

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2011, 09:25:44 am »
Mark, no I can't see any threads in there. My concern about putting a plug in is the depth of the plug so it doesn't block the oil flow to the trans. It may be that there never was a plug there in the first place. That would be an easy thing to lose during a tear down. It seems strange that an important oil gallery would end just like that and that it is plugged on a later model with an edge on the plug so it will not go in further. It may be one of those thousands of upgrades they did as they went along with production.
Am I chasing a ghost? and getting everyone wound up for no reason? If that's the case I'll go put on a pointy hat on and stand in the corner for awhile.
Cliff.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 09:35:15 am by Magpie »

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2011, 09:49:18 am »
This has really got me scratching my head.   ???  I happen to have 3 sandcast cases apart that I looked at, 100, 1490 and 1789.  None of them have a plug!  I ran a stiff wire in the hole all the way to the far side of the case and nothing.  Engine 1490 was apart when I got it and 100 has been hot tanked and ultrasonically cleaned so maybe the plugs fell out.  I just tore down 1789, which didn't show any evidence of previous disassembly and haven't had a chance to clean up the cases yet so I don't think a plug fell out of that one.  When I worked on engines 5491 and 12029 I don't recall seeing a plug and neither one is leaking. I wonder what the odds are that I happen to lose at least 3 plugs without realiziing it.  Cliff, I wish I would have seen your post about the flat spot on one side before I checked out my cases.  I'm pretty sure all of mine are round but I wasn't really looking for that but I'll go back and check.  In your first post did you say that it looked like the hole was threaded?
  Very, very slim. It appears they did not come on the first bikes. I retract my earlier statement. That being said I would still plug it if possible.