Author Topic: Rotten rusted CB750 aka The Red Rider OUT OF HIBERNATION  (Read 63697 times)

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Re: Rotten rusted CB750 aka The Red Rider UPDATE
« Reply #225 on: April 20, 2013, 11:16:20 pm »
I'll agree that the oil was the culprit Steve. Back in the 80's when I had my Kawasaki Z900 I got sucked into trying Valvoline XLD. I was on a military logistics course at the time, and I had to ride the 200 miles home on the Friday night, and back to the training school on the following Sunday afternoon.

I did an oil change at home on Sunday morning, and took off around 2 pm. I'd noticed that the gearbox felt a little more "notchy" than previously, and the clutch didn't "slip" when I fed it in and out, like it usually did. It was either "on" or "off".

Anyway, at the 100 mile mark I refilled the gas tank, and had a donut and coffee. I finished my snack, and hopped on the bike and hit the button. I "clunked" it into 1st gear, (it usually didn't clunk at all) and went to dump the clutch, and it stalled. Bummer.

I pulled the clutch in, hit the button, went to take off, and same deal, stalled it. Fcuk. I finally fired it up, revved it up to about 5K RPM, dumped the clutch, and wheelied down the road, woohoo!

Next weekend I dumped that Valvoline schidt out of my engine and just put in some cheap Mobil oil, and it was all good again. I've never used Valvoline since. (I think I've used it in a car engine and it was OK though) Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #226 on: April 21, 2013, 02:54:28 am »
Yes, start the oil thread, I'll get the popcorn!

Good to hear that helped the shifting but do you really think the oil was the only issue?

Stev-o,  it is way smoother than it was but not quite as crisp as it could be.  Plan to ride it more to see if there is any improvement.  If not, linkage and oil pump inspection,  probably followed by clutch insp. Popcorn on the burner...Larry

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #227 on: April 21, 2013, 05:48:19 am »
Hey Terry - didn't know you had a Z1.   Like it?
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #228 on: April 21, 2013, 06:01:20 am »

Steve,  I worked on many back in the day.   Get one, you'll love it...Larry

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #229 on: April 21, 2013, 06:20:13 am »

I did!

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=120360.0
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #230 on: April 21, 2013, 07:02:12 am »

I did!

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=120360.0

congrats,  that is awesome and will be even better when you are done with it...Larry

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #231 on: April 21, 2013, 07:04:48 am »
Thanks. Once I get the exhaust on there I might hit you up for some fine tuning hints.
Runs pretty good already...

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #232 on: April 21, 2013, 03:11:07 pm »
Thanks. Once I get the exhaust on there I might hit you up for some fine tuning hints.
Runs pretty good already...

If you really want to fall in love with the 900's Steve, get yourself a copy of the original {first cut} of the Aussie movie "Stone"....   Plenty of inspiration there.... ;D
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #233 on: April 22, 2013, 03:31:56 am »

Yeah mate, I had a 1975 Z900 with only 5000 miles on the clock that I bought in 1985. I rode it for a couple of years and sold it to buy a 1985 Harley Sportster. The Sporty was a better handler with better brakes, but the Kawasaki was super quick, way quicker than a CB750. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #234 on: May 07, 2013, 10:03:49 am »
I have been riding the Red Rider a bit and have to admit the shifting is improving.

I sold my 1972 CB350 yesterday to a fellow employee.  Always hate to see a bike go but I need to sell a few to raise some funds for the oncoming onslaught of real estate taxes :'(  Debating on selling  red bike. I pulled my 400f restomod out of the moth ballls to hopefully finish it up.  The project has been on hold for a year(moving, work, other bikes, customers bikes). I will try and post photos but I have been having a heckuva time with photobucket since they changed it-that should be in the pissed off thread...Larry

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #235 on: August 12, 2013, 10:08:02 am »
Shifting has been improving on the Red Rider, it definitely requires a precise, almost double-tap shift especially from 4th to 5th.  May decide to sell it though, especially if the Price Is Right(where is Bob Barker when you need him?)  Some recent photos of Red Rider and my new PC

All for now, time to go out for another joyride on the PC ;)  I like the term PC because I am the most politcally correct person in the world(maybe that should be in the BS post?)...Larry

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #236 on: August 13, 2013, 12:55:35 am »
What's that thing beside your CB750 Larry, some kinda Golf Buggy?  ???

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #237 on: August 13, 2013, 04:11:47 am »
What's that thing beside your CB750 Larry, some kinda Golf Buggy?  ???

It is the Starship Enterprise, or as those in the know call it, a scooter on steroids.  Actually, it is a fun bike to ride ;)...Larry

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #238 on: August 13, 2013, 04:57:53 am »
Oh, OK mate, tell me more? I've never seen one before. ;D

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #239 on: August 13, 2013, 08:27:30 am »
Terry you could actually be a PCer on one of those as we know you aren't PC. Pacific Coast was a 14000 unit run of 800cc twin that is a very nice bike. A baby GoldWing if you will...
Motorera.com should have some info in their honda mc section...
David- back in the desert SW!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #240 on: August 15, 2013, 02:40:08 am »
Geez, they built them for almost 10 years and only sold 14000? How many Edsels did Ford sell? Just wondering.............. ;D

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #241 on: August 15, 2013, 05:46:21 am »
Geez, they built them for almost 10 years and only sold 14000? How many Edsels did Ford sell? Just wondering.............. ;D

Just over 118,000....Ford lost approx $350,000,000 (in 2012 dollars)  Fail!

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #242 on: August 15, 2013, 01:25:30 pm »

Just over 118,000....Ford lost approx $350,000,000 (in 2012 dollars)  Fail!

If this thing appreciates in value like the Edsel did I'll be one happy camper ;)...Larry

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Rotten rusted CB750 aka The Red Rider OUT OF HIBERNATION
« Reply #243 on: July 02, 2015, 03:02:39 pm »
Wellllllllllllllllllllllll.....................it has been over a year (or maybe even longer) since Red Rider saw daylight.  I decided to pull it out of the shed and get it running so I could sell it(no sense keeping something that is not used ???) .  Installed battery, oil change with Rotella 15/40 and Rislone,  fresh gas and vrroom, vroom , vroom. ;D.  Happy Camper am I.  Went for a quick 20 mile jaunt and all is well.  The 4th gear problem seems to have been solved by using Rotella and Rislone.  Not sure what to ask, thinking of 3500 at least, and do not want to Ebay it.  Price thoughts anyone???...Larry

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #244 on: July 02, 2015, 06:24:33 pm »
G'Day Larry, geez I'm getting old, only two years after the last post I'd completely forgotten about this build thread! Anyway, if you can get 3500 more power to you, what I've noticed here in Oz is that the prices for CB750's is dropping, maybe the bubble has burst?

I'm looking at several here for between $3000 and $6000 AUD (say, $2300 - $4600 US) on eBay, and they're not selling. (probably because it's winter) Minty restored bikes are going for much more, but once again, they're not selling either. I know you don't want to use eBay, but the good thing about an auction as opposed to a fixed price, is that you can start off low to spark interest amongst the "punters", and if you get a couple of bidders who really want it, you might get more money than you'd hoped for?

And what's this business about "no sense keeping something that is not used"? Geez, if that's the case I should maybe sell all my bikes and parts? I would ride them, but it's fcuking cold outside! ;D

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #245 on: July 02, 2015, 07:16:37 pm »
Terry, from Larry's Believe It Or Not-the bike I ride majority of the time is my golf cart.  Still have to sort out the Katana, as it has an erratic, racing idle and my Sabre is for sale(only put 1000 miles on it two years). The S32 turned into a Triumph.  Oh well, I have too many bikes and not enough money to finish the house so they'll be gone one by one.  Hope the CB bubble has not burst , wish me luck...Larry

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #246 on: July 02, 2015, 07:22:43 pm »
Good to hear the Red Rider will ride again!   The CB bubble has def not burst down here. 

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #247 on: July 03, 2015, 01:27:40 am »
Terry, from Larry's Believe It Or Not-the bike I ride majority of the time is my golf cart.  Still have to sort out the Katana, as it has an erratic, racing idle and my Sabre is for sale(only put 1000 miles on it two years). The S32 turned into a Triumph.  Oh well, I have too many bikes and not enough money to finish the house so they'll be gone one by one.  Hope the CB bubble has not burst , wish me luck...Larry

Good luck mate, and I understand your logic, I really don't need 6 or 7 bikes, but I just can't decide which ones to keep. I watch eBay to see which bikes sell well and which don't, and I see lots of CB750's re-advertised because they don't meet the reserve. Some people have unrealistic expectations of what their bikes are worth, but I think $3500 is a fair price for a good running bike in the US. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #248 on: July 04, 2015, 09:19:22 am »
The Cb 750 market is stupid crazy for prices. I mean STUPID! I wish I held onto my K1 until the summer because their prices are looking 5k min for ones in worse shape than the one i had. Not to mention mine was honestly the best running CB I've owned.
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #249 on: July 04, 2015, 12:51:25 pm »
The Cb 750 market is stupid crazy for prices. I mean STUPID! I wish I held onto my K1 until the summer because their prices are looking 5k min for ones in worse shape than the one i had. Not to mention mine was honestly the best running CB I've owned.

thanks tews, I would rather not use Ebay and would accept anything between 3 to 3.5K even though I'd most likely get more on Feebay...Larry