Author Topic: Do I need to use Spray Max Clear if I already used SprayMax 2k?  (Read 2313 times)

Offline robdrobd

• Who? Me?
  • Master
  • Isn't she a beauty?
I ordered SprayMax 2 part auto spray in a can for my build. It is supposed to have the urethane mixed in. If it comes out enough to my liking, does it still have to be clear coated with spray max clear to be fuel resistant? 

Offline camelman

• Man... Myth... Legend
  • Master
Re: Do I need to use Spray Max Clear if I already used SprayMax 2k?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 12:26:13 pm »
I'm not familiar with spraymax 2 part paint, but the issue is usually UV resistance. Paint will typically fade if it isn't coated with a UV resistant clear. Having a clear coat also helps protect the paint from scuffs and nicks.

If I recall correctly, I may have used spraymax paint before, but it was not a two part paint, so it would not be gas resistant. The two part paint systems from spraymax have a button to punch on the bottom of the can that releases the hardener. Without that button, you won't have a fuel resistant paint.

Be careful when you use that stuff. Get the appropriate mask to filter out organic matter. Otherwise you could end up in the hospital, with cancer or nervous system disorders down the road, lose testicle function, etc. The various chemicals can penetrate your skin too, but a long sleeve work shirt will probably limit that exposure.

Camelman
1972 350f rider: sold
1972 350f/466f cafe: for sale
1977 CB400f cafe:sold
1975 CB400f rider: sold
1970 CB750 K0 complete bike: sold
2005 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 rider

We've got to cut it off... and then come down on rockets.  (quoted from: seven minutes of terror)

Offline robdrobd

• Who? Me?
  • Master
  • Isn't she a beauty?
Do I need to use Spray Max Clear if I already used SprayMax 2k?
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 01:31:28 pm »
Yeah, it has the button to activate the paint. Does that mean it should be enough?

Offline USCG_C130

• Enthusiast
Re: Do I need to use Spray Max Clear if I already used SprayMax 2k?
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 04:31:43 pm »
heres a good thread on the spraymax 2k if you haven't read it it might answer some questions i am thinking ill use the same stuff.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=98350.0