Author Topic: Broken bleeder repair  (Read 6696 times)

Offline Flying J

• Old Timer
Broken bleeder repair
« on: March 13, 2012, 10:41:24 pm »
Did you try and bleed those brakes after the caliper sat for years and the thing just snapped off. Well you dont have to buy a new caliper. You can repair the old one.
Caliper repair kit  8.99 at NAPA
Drill bit and tap $13.00 at ACE hardware
not to bad

First you have to run around and buy the parts you need, the package suggest using assembly lube as well.

Using the hole in your snapped off bleeder as a guide, drill it out until you are all the way through the bleeder.

Bleeder is gone.

Use the 1/4" NPT tap to "tap" the hole. I didnt have a tap holder big enough for this one so I just used a socket wrench. Take your time, go at least a 1/2" deep.

Clean your threads out real good.

Use some assembly lube and start threading the brass sleeve. The package says to torque it down to 35 foot lbs.

Now curse and swear. Pretty sure 35 ft/lbs is way to much for this thing. Maybe my torque wrench is jacked but i dont think so.

Drive back to NAPA!

Buy a new repair kit AND an extraction tool. Add $12 to you project total. Use the extractor to get out the old sleeve.

I cleaned the threads, used assembly lube, and put in the new sleeve. This time i tightened it up but did not torque it all the way down. Ill see if it leaks when i get it on the bike.

Thread in your new bleeder and slap it on the bike. I have not put it on the bike yet but if for some reason I have issues I will update this thread with said problems.

I hope this is helpfull and that you will learn from my mistakes and save a few dollars.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 12:56:14 pm by Flying J »

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
Re: Broken bleeder repair
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 02:59:09 pm »
Hmmm, I thought the head was supposed to snap off.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Draw and drawer. Could care less/couldn't care less. Bought/brought FFS.

Les Ross.            Certified by a Professional

Offline Flying J

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 05:23:08 pm »
Nope. with the head snapped off there are barley enough threads for the bleeder to grab. Anyway, I got the caliper back on my bike. Took it around the block and did a few hard stops and things still look good.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 12:57:03 pm by Flying J »

Offline noclutchhonda

• noclutchhonda
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 04:33:04 pm »
I wanted to thank you for the foot work. This worked great for me!!
1977 CB750A

Offline Flying J

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 06:44:55 pm »
Your very welcome.  :)

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 07:58:46 pm »
did you guys try just using an extractor in the original broken off bleeder?...really not trying to be a smart ass but this has never failed for me
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline Flying J

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 11:43:15 pm »
Most of the time the bleeder is broken because its so stuck that the top breaks off before there is enough force to move the threads. The extractors I have used suffer the same consequence and snap off inside. Making them even more difficult to repair. The last one i did i had to mill down untill i could get the extractor out. And that hardened steel is hell on the mill bit. I will never use and extractor again on a caliper. If it snaps im just going to drill it out and replace it.

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 01:33:46 am »
A way to deal with stuck bleeders IF you have't broken them off is to buy some "GULF" wax (paraffin wax) and fire up a grill outside and melt the paraffin wax and the insert the caliper so the bleeder is submergedin the hot oil. Let it cook for 30 minutes and then with some heavy gloves and hot pads pull the very hot caliper outof the oil and on a bench or chucked in a vice see if the bleeder screw will come out. More times than not, it will release. Just dont torque too hard and break it off.  The paraffin wax penetrates the threads of the bleeder and make it come out much easier.
WARNING
The hot paraffin wax is pretty flammable, thus the instructions to do it outside.  Doesn't hurt to have a fire extinguisher or close the hood if you splash it and catch the container afire.
David- back in the desert SW!