Author Topic: Remembering Mr. Wizard..  (Read 3220 times)

Offline toytuff

• "watching the pinheads"
  • Old Timer
Remembering Mr. Wizard..
« on: March 16, 2012, 03:36:49 pm »
I read an article in the recent edition of VJMC magazine. It was an article to clean rust from inside the gas tank.

Being the "rocket scientist" I think I am I wanted to try this on a pair of shock absorbers off my 1977 CB 750 K.

Well, here we go. I'll post progress if the house is still standing.  ::)

This process will take at least three (3) or more days.

1) Go to Lowe's, Home Depot etc and pick up a two (2) foot piece of 3/4 inch PVC pipe. You can cut this to any length but for this application I did not. I needed the length to fit inside a five (5) gallon bucket.

2) Purchase a box of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda. I found this at Ace Hardware.

3) Drill holes as shown in picture opposite of each other. Drill press works great.

4) Mix one (1) cup soda to five (5) gallons of water.

5) Use a piece of rea-bar or other similar steel rod. My piece happened to be the same length as the pipe thus the extra clamp as shown. Put inside the PVC pipe.

6) Using a battery charger connect the Positive lead to the steel rod and the other to ground. Turn the charger on to ten (10) amp setting. The positive lead will not ground to anything when inside the PVC pipe.

The electrical whatever thing a ma bob, current, will react with the soda and eat at the rust.  The rea-bar will draw the rust through the holes in the PVC pipe. 

Remember, it will take some time as this is a slow process.

The rust I'm trying to remove is inside the shock spring.

tt

« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 03:41:32 pm by toytuff »

Offline mono

• Definitely no
  • Expert
  • 1975 Honda CB550, 1978 CB750K (in progress)
Re: Remembering Mr. Wizard..
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 05:50:56 am »
i've seen examples of this technique before and it seems to work quite well.

putting the re-bar into PVC is something i've never seen an example of, but is a great idea to prevent contact.