Author Topic: International Tag Team Project 750 K6  (Read 33154 times)

Offline wixil

• gas passing
  • Old Timer
Re: International Tag Team Project 750 K6
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2012, 06:06:02 am »
If you like the copper color and don't want to deal with the polishing, maybe you should ask about copper powder coat.  I've heard good things in comparison to results with chrome powder coat.  That's just my two cents.  I'm digging the shed setup by the way.

Offline Radam

• taco racer
  • Master
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2012, 02:08:44 am »
Thanks, Andy. I've been leaning toward the powder coating for that reason. I was busy at work, so I didn't get to call those places. I did get the axle out of the front hub though. That being said...anyone have a bearing puller? The bearings look pretty good, but I bet they'd need to come out for powder coating or copper plating. Also, Terry, do you or Cliff have a tool to remove the retainer for the bearing? I think I can make something at work if not. I guess I can try to make something to remove the bearings too, but I just thought I'd ask before I go screwing things up.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2012, 01:55:00 am »
Yeah mate, I've got a tool to remove both of them, so hold off until I can drop them over to you, they won't damage the retainers at all. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Radam

• taco racer
  • Master
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2012, 03:11:57 pm »
Thanks mate! I thought you'd have something.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2012, 07:21:57 pm »
Thanks mate! I thought you'd have something.

No worries Adam, I'm working today, but if it's not p1ssing down rain tomorrow I'll bring them over on my BMW. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Radam

• taco racer
  • Master
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2012, 09:19:05 pm »
Cool. I'd like to check that thing out!

Offline Radam

• taco racer
  • Master
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2012, 10:53:33 pm »
Terry came over yesterday and brought some tools and stuff by. We got the bearings out of the front hub, but the rear was a pain in the....rear. Terry took it home with him, so hopefully it'll all work out. I got to check out his r/100 too. Pretty cool bike, and I'm sure it'll be even cooler when he gets it how he wants it.

I can't seem to get my forks apart, so I'm still stuck there. I'll see if work has some better allens I borrow. I started messing with my battery box a little today.

It's a bit rusty. I can't figure out a good way to get the rubber out of it without messing them up. Is there a good way to do that, or are they just cheap parts you cut off and get new? I knocked a bit of the rust off around the rubber for now.

I started checking out my oil tank next.

It didn't seem too bad so I just cleaned it up a little for now. I almost wanted to keep the NOS sticker/tape on it because I like the way it looked, but it wiped off pretty easy. Not sure if I'll paint it or leave it as is?

I thought about keeping the HD rims chrome because they look decent, but they have a bit of chrome flaking (mainly on the rear). Not sure if you can tell in this pic.

Probably still going with the copper powder caoting.

Other than that I just cleaned up the float bowl Terry brought to replace the one I broke the drain screw in, and started cleaning my clutch cover. Hey Terry, what size tires will I need for those rims? Also, do they need tubes, or can I go tubeless? I may start searching for some rubber. Oh yeah, and can you or Cliff send me a link for the guy you told me about for spokes.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 10:58:27 pm by Radam »

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2012, 05:31:55 am »
On those rubber parts, I pull the metal sleeve and then make sure they are warm and work the small side through. I f needed I use a little screw driver. May not be the best way but that is how I do it. Are the allens rounded or are they spinning in the forks. I always leave the forks together until i get those loose. Not all the way apart but loose. If you pull the caps, theres no pressure to hold the nut inside in place.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2012, 06:17:52 am »
G'Day Adam, Cliff should be close to entering US airspace by now, so I'll answer the question for him, Lightfoot Engineering is where he had his wheels laced up. You'll need to get a car and drive over there, but Lightfoot is probably the best in Melbourne and Phil (the proprieter) will look after you. Cheers, Terry. ;D

http://www.lightfootwheels.com/

maduncle

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2012, 12:05:38 am »
G'Day Adam, Cliff should be close to entering US airspace by now, so I'll answer the question for him, Lightfoot Engineering is where he had his wheels laced up. You'll need to get a car and drive over there, but Lightfoot is probably the best in Melbourne and Phil (the proprieter) will look after you. Cheers, Terry. ;D

http://www.lightfootwheels.com/

(From San Francisco) - correct, I would recommend Lightfoot Engineering.

And I did like the 'NOS' on the tank - great name for a bike!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2012, 01:49:51 am »

Really? I think "Trevor" is much nicer........... ;D

maduncle

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2012, 07:20:59 am »

Really? I think "Trevor" is much nicer........... ;D

And I have named my CB450 engine 'Glenn'.

Offline Radam

• taco racer
  • Master
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2012, 02:23:35 pm »
I was thinking of putting graffiti all over it, hiding guns and knives in it, and naming it "Chopper".

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2012, 03:49:12 pm »
I was thinking of putting graffiti all over it, hiding guns and knives in it, and naming it "Chopper".

Can you get guns there?
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

maduncle

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2012, 10:35:53 pm »

If that's the case - then the bike can't use headlamp 'ears' - they would need to be cut off.

BTW - I can take you to Choppers' local pub in Collingwood if you like, although I hear he isn't too well.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2012, 12:58:08 am »

You want to name it after my poor dead cat, Adam? What a lovely thought! ;D

Offline Radam

• taco racer
  • Master
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2012, 05:57:34 am »
I got to get back in the shop a little this weekend. Brad, you were right with the battery box rubber. It was pretty easy to get them out intact. I got the forks taken apart too. I'm not sure how much pitting is ok for the upper tube? What do you guys think?

After knocking some of the rust off.

I've been thinking about the colours for the bike lately, and I'm starting to second guess all the copper I was thinking of. I think I may leave the wheels chrome, the hubs natural, swing arm black, and figure out what to do with the tank later. It seems like a safer way to go. Maybe sometime in the future I'll do a copper bike.

maduncle

« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2012, 07:24:41 am »

Leave the fork tubes as they are with a clear coat over the top and you are on your way to a copper chopper!

I am kinda glad you are over the copper phase as i like those chrome rims in chrome, you could go with a bare metal tank if you want that industrial look.

Offline Radam

• taco racer
  • Master
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2012, 02:14:52 pm »
I think I'll just go with something to go along with the side covers. If I do a copper bike I'd like to start with the frame. I was looking at the parts in the shop over the weekend and started thinking that the wheels would look better chrome with the pipes. I just need to get some spokes for the front.

maduncle

« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2012, 07:20:06 pm »

Easy job to get the tank painted to match the side covers - I have a mate that can do that.

Blue base, sparkle coat and then several layers of clear - and you could lay some vivid yellow flames down over the blue sparkle before the clear.

Wicked.

By the way - best sight over here so far was the line of modded Harley's outside the local 'Twin Peaks' diner, and the Bud Lite tent with the crew of tanned fit young ladies in very skimpy bikini's offering free bike washes.

Damn I wish I had a bike here!

I love this country.

Offline Radam

• taco racer
  • Master
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2012, 07:36:24 pm »
You should talk to those girls! You'd be surprised how far an Aussie accent can get you in the US. The bike wash usually costs about $5. Enjoy the beer prices while you're there. Try Fat Tire. I think I'll stay away from the flames on the bike.

maduncle

« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2012, 07:41:31 pm »

Hey I have been drinking fat tyre since I got here!

And I am well aware of the power of the Aussie accent after a few days here, but DAMN - I am married!

Offline Radam

• taco racer
  • Master
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2012, 07:46:53 pm »
I forgot you're married. You're a good man. Stick to micro brews while you're there. Maybe Greggo or one of the other guys will let you take a bike out to get washed.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2012, 01:02:55 am »
Geez those forks are manky Adam, Honda went cheap arse and didn't hard chrome the last 10 inches or so, and of course water gets trapped in between the rubber seals, and before you know it rust-o-rama! No biggie though, they'll still work fine.

I'm glad that you're over the copper look, it's not my favorite color, but I do like shiny black hubs and rims with chrome spokes? Just a thought of course, I'm an old fart from the "Black and Chrome" era, but I know you young whipper snappers are more "Colorful" nowadays............. ;D   

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2012, 06:49:07 am »
Mad - no pics of the Bud girls??

Did you make it to Charlies Place?
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........