Author Topic: Need engine rebuilt with performance mods  (Read 2652 times)

Offline thipps

• If you cant build it......Design it
    • hippsdesign
Need engine rebuilt with performance mods
« on: June 19, 2012, 08:47:57 pm »
Hello Everyone (Im the new guy lol) anyway I have a 73 cb500 that was my uncles i rescued from a barn (literally). The last time he was on the bike was in 86 when he ran from the cops, he took it home and sanded the paint off the tank then parked it in the barn until 1995 when the barn collapsed on it! Here i came to the rescue in 2010, I have many many plans for the bike but first i need a business and or someone that can rebuild the motor for me. depending on pricing might even do a big bore kit cams.....on and on, the bike ran when it went away but needs a full rebuild obviously.

Im located in Michigan, cafe ypsi in Ypsilanti wanted to charge per hour at 80 and hour. kinda uncomfortable with engine work per hour (kind of a blank check right?) Im not thinking the job will be cheap. I understand once you crack the engine open things pop up that changes the price.

anyway long story short, it ran when it was put away, it turns over, it has compression. Anyone interested or have suggestions?

Thanks guys, cant wait to show progress and get this old girl running again

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
Re: Need engine rebuilt with performance mods
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 07:28:26 am »
Built for what purpose?  High-Speed ..........Torque............Sleeper motor for street drags...........racing with spare parts for backup...........cafe-style with a cam.........or restored with a fresh motor that sounds like a sewing machine?

What do you expect..........ported, cam, high compression with recognized expert workmanship...........or borrowed BIG parts from 550s and 650s with questionable (maybe great, maybe not) workmanship............and most important, someone to talk to after the build?

Tell us more and we may direct you to the best sources...........
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

Offline lordmoonpie

• Master
  • Feal the Fear and do it anyway...
    • Moonpie
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 08:10:38 am »
I'd say get a Haynes Manual and do it yourself. Tear it down, send the parts like head off to Mike Rieck, get some nice cams and over a period of time you'll get the bike you want built by your own fair hands and learn a boat load of stuff in the process. There's nothing more satisfying than hearing a bike start for the first time when you rebuilt it...
1994 Ducati 888 SP5
1951 Ducati 50cc Cucciolo
1981 Yamaha XV750 SE

Online CycleRanger

• No comment about being an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas Shop Manual Advocate
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 08:26:43 am »
anyway long story short, it ran when it was put away, it turns over, it has compression.

Then why rebuild it?

Restore the rest of the bike and get the engine running as it sits and worry about rebuilding the engine later.
Do you have a copy of the Honda Shop Manual or Parts List for your bike? Get one here:
https://www.honda4fun.com/materiale/documentazione-tecnica
CB750K5        '79 XL250s     CL350K3
CB750K3        '76 XS650      '76 CJ360T

Offline Flying J

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 09:38:56 am »
Im with cycle ranger. Fix it and ride it. Then when you get the balls rip that thing apart and go for it. I was in the same boat as you. I got into bikes and did not have much expierance. I fixed them and rode them for a few years and then I jumped in and went crazy. Big bore, ported, cam, bla bla bla. So unless you have a ton of cash to throw around I would start easy and then go from there.

Offline thipps

• hippsdesign
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 03:13:38 pm »
Hey guys thanks for the feed back, I want the engine done because its just something i dont feel like getting involved with. I could work on two strokes all day but thats a different story.

I cant just get it running because its been sitting for over 20 years, all gaskets are dry as a bone and leak, all seals im sure will be bad. plus i have no clue the condition of the top end (valve train)

@Old Scrambler Really im just looking for a big lumpy cam. i want the sound more than anything, No matter what i do i realize the bike will not be fast as a modern bike but im ok with that just as long as she sounds amazing and runs great,

I dont mind spending money on someone to rebuild it that is an expert with this engine, This is why i joined this site.

Offline thipps

• hippsdesign
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 03:21:12 pm »
Also guys tell me what really works with the 500s. Im sure you guys know more than i do about them. for example are the 550 cylinders a great upgrade? port and polished head make a huge difference on them?

Im open for suggestions, Trust me this bike will be very very cool, modern front end and im looking for a cb 750 super sport tank right now (just love how long those are)...on and on

Offline Motoguy23

• Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 04:20:59 pm »
port and polish, an exhaust where #1 and #4 and #2 and #3 cylinders are paired, dyna ignition with 5 ohm coils and new plug wires, Webcam camshaft or one out of a CB650 (new valve springs too), 550 cylinders and pistons (can do a bigger bore like 605 but then you have to find gaskets and other parts if it breaks), stiffer clutch springs, CR26 carbs (or a set of Vm26's from a kawa kz650). 

There are some suspension upgrades too but it sounds like you are just more interested in the going, not the turning.

I had a 500 motor for a few years and had problems with clutch slip under heavy load and with the shifter missing gears.  Others on this forum have also said they are far from stock and the clutch is doing fine.  I threw a 550 motor in it this winter just in case.
All glory to the hypno-toad.

Offline thipps

• hippsdesign
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 05:32:46 pm »
Hey Motoguy23 Thanks, Several people have said 550 pistons and sleeves so that might be the direction i go, maybe with some higher compression pistons with the port and polish top end, I already have 4 into 1 exhaust and a "race" clutch....

Now i need to find someone who help me out with the build :)

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 06:37:56 pm »
Just get a 550 motor and go from there, better gearbox and clutch set up, 500's are commonly known for having gearbox problems stock, adding HP will only make it worse. Talk to member Dave500, he knows just about everything that is needed to know about the 500-550 bikes.... {his 500/4 has a 550 engine i it}
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Jerry E.

• Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 07:06:02 pm »
Cycle X sells rebuilt motors, from stock to full race. Check their website for prices. They list what each motor has in it for performance parts. They also do machine work, if you decide to do your own rebuild.
"Why jump from perfectly good airplanes? Because the door opens."

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 08:03:13 pm »
Just get a 550 motor and go from there, better gearbox and clutch set up, 500's are commonly known for having gearbox problems stock, adding HP will only make it worse. Talk to member Dave500, he knows just about everything that is needed to know about the 500-550 bikes.... {his 500/4 has a 550 engine i it}

plus 1
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 10:39:54 pm »
Why not get a quote from Cycle-X????

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...