Author Topic: Clutch not fully engaging when cold  (Read 938 times)

Offline Tamothy

Clutch not fully engaging when cold
« on: August 22, 2012, 09:21:47 am »
'77 CB550F
New clutch plates a couple hundred miles ago. . .

When I have just started the bike, if I engage the clutch and shift to first gear the bike lunges forward and stalls.  It behaves like I have put it into gear without engaging the clutch.  After it has ran for a short time, this behavior is not present.

What is the cause?  Improper adjustment?  Is the clutch without much oil at start-up?

If adjustment I will add this info:  the bike is always a bit sluggish when releasing clutch in first gear from a stop.  I have assumed this is due to 1) past due timing tune-up 2) uni pods on otherwise stock machine 3) bench-synced carbs

This bike sat for a long time and I have been working my way through it.  I got to the point of final tuning and got busy with other things.  But, I have been riding it and it is a blast.  So you have an idea of where I am:

-rebuilt swingarm, forks, carbs, brakes
-oil pan and screen washed
-valves adjusted
-new clutch plates
-new throttle and clutch cables
-lots of new OEM gaskets and fasteners ( like all sane minds, I HATE slightly stripped, crummy-looking screw heads)
-new chain and sprockets
-new fuel lines
-new battery
-new Avon Roadrider tires
-stock header w/ new Mac muffler

I need to learn more about points and straighten out the timing.  I should put new plugs in it (why the heck have I not done this simple task yet?) 
I just got new airbox connectors from a mate on this forum who is reproducing them.  I have the stock airbox and need to get it on and sorted.  Then, carb sync.

The bike has about 15k miles on it now.  I know I gave alot of info, but know it is easy to guess at someone's mechanical ills if you can see the picture a bit!  Also, quite the brain knocker for me to recollect.  I should keep notes, but I don't!
Current Bikes:

'76 XL350 - just picked it up, will be my forest road/camping machine
'77 CB550F - going to get it top-notch, like ride across the country top-notch, like it is 1980 and it has 12k miles with a loving, original owner
'82 CB900F - my (sometimes) daily rider

'74 RD350 - 6k miles, straight out of a barn, waiting for restoration

These old bikes are teaching me a big boat load!  I love 'em!

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
Re: Clutch not fully engaging when cold
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 09:27:28 am »
What grade oil are you using?
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Draw and drawer. Could care less/couldn't care less. Bought/brought FFS.

Les Ross.            Certified by a Professional

Offline Tamothy

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 09:30:19 am »
Well Lester, I can't recall at the moment.  Probably what the manual states. . .perhaps 10w-40, 5w-30. . .crap, I don't know!  Lucas Oil. . .nope, still don't know.
Current Bikes:

'77 CB550F - going to get it top-notch, like ride across the country top-notch, like it is 1980 and it has 12k miles with a loving, original owner

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 09:36:52 am »
If the oil is too heavy it will make the clutch drag until it warms up and thins out. Has the clutch been adjusted per the manual?
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Draw and drawer. Could care less/couldn't care less. Bought/brought FFS.

Offline Tamothy

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 09:43:17 am »
I truly think it has 10w-40 right now.  Is that heavy?
Yes, I have adjusted the clutch per manual.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 09:51:05 am by Tamothy »
Current Bikes:

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 09:52:52 am »
That's fine. Has it been like this since you rebuilt it. Ridges develop on the clutch basket preventing proper operation of the clutch. These can be filed smooth.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 09:55:22 am by LesterPiglet »

Offline Tamothy

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 10:12:02 am »
While clutch was disassembled I looked for such signs and the basket looked good.  Of course, it was my first clutch to rebuild so maybe.
Current Bikes: