Author Topic: Stock vs custom 550 pricing  (Read 2487 times)

Offline rb550four

• Master
  • I'm nobody's slave and nobody's master
Stock vs custom 550 pricing
« on: October 29, 2012, 11:52:42 am »
I was wondering what the consensus of resale price between a stock 550 and a customized 550.
Let's say that both vehicles were nicely done
One is  basically stock
The other one is a Hard tail or mono shock

Which would bring a better price
A few Honda 500's, a few Honda 550's, a few Honda 650's, '72 cb 450, a couple 500/550/650 hybrids, and 2001 750. 
  550 Snowbike -Somebody had to do it.
  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,101678.0.html             
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,137317.msg1550907.html#msg1550907

Offline mono

• Definitely no
  • Expert
  • 1975 Honda CB550, 1978 CB750K (in progress)
Re: Stock vs custom 550 pricing
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 12:00:04 pm »
my feeling on this is that unless the build was done "professionally" by a shop or someone who has made many custom/modded bikes, that a heavily modded bike will generally sell for less than a stock bike in comparable shape/mileage.

it's just like cars.  kids spend all kinds of money modding our their cars and the resale value is ruined.  why?  because you assume that all those mods means that they beat the vehicle to death and drove it like it was stolen.

however with bikes, you have the added question of "did this guy do a proper job with the mods?" because if not, you're dead.

Offline mono

• Definitely no
  • Expert
  • 1975 Honda CB550, 1978 CB750K (in progress)
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 12:03:38 pm »
the other side of the coin could be that a savvy buyer may see the value in the work done and any upgraded parts and be willing to pay more for it.  also, aesthetics probably plays a large factor.  i'm sure there are morons who will pay top dollar for a bike just because it's shiny.

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 08:39:20 am »
If a custom bike is done really well you can probably sell it for more, but you'll have to wait longer and work harder to find just the right buyer who is looking for that exact bike in that specific style and who has the money to spend on it.  With a stock bike you're keeping your field of prospective buyers much wider open.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 10:31:37 am »
Recent sales have shown that low mileage original bikes get top dollar.

Exceptions have been over the top cafe bikes selling for more.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

El Taco

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 10:02:41 am »
Custom reads as stripped most often in my experience. Often stripped, wiring taped back, fenders cut, etc.

Actual custom fabrication adds value, but I still believe a clean original would bring more.

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 10:30:44 am »
If I wanted a custom bike it would need to be "my" custom, not someone elses idea.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Draw and drawer. Could care less/couldn't care less. Bought/brought FFS.

Les Ross.            Certified by a Professional

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 01:27:26 pm »
Custom bikes are, for the most part, personalized to suit the owner. 

I pay less for custom bikes, because they were "customized to my style, and 95% of the time were modified by supervised, self taught experimenter's who really have/had no idea what the final machine configuration was to be.  If it was never raced, none of the mods were ever proven to add any sort of functionality to the bike.  If it was raced, it is likely overly worn.  Every single customized bike I have acquired was buggered in some way and required correction or replacement of the "custom" features for either safety or functionality.  However, I am a sucker for a rescue project, and there seem to be no end of bikes screwed up by a PO.  But, I won't let a machine abusive PO profit from their buggery.

That is not to say there aren't buyers, for the latest "shiny thing" that falls into their gaze.  There are usually plenty of people that know less than the current owner, particularly about the machine being sold.  But, those people may not be in your locale, or are distracted by other "shiny things".

The whole marketing of vehicles in general by nearly all media conveyance is based on human base feelings to create desire rather than objective, practical factors.  Such is the superficial value of a vehicle's worth. Being blasted since birth with these sales techniques teaches buyers to value the superficial concepts being offered as opposed to the necessities or practical needs.   

If a vehicle is presented along with a scantily clad and attractive female, the base male human reaction becomes associated with that vehicle and the desire subconsciously or directly transfers/ registers in the observer for the vehicle that was associated.  How many times have you heard about a machine being "sexy".  But, if you announce that you had intercourse with that machine, not many will actually wish to be you (or buy the machine).

This is only one such example of using human basic traits to create a desire for a product or idea.  Pictures associated with the "ruggedly handsome" also foster desire.  As in, "hey if I have the same bike as the guy pictured with the bike, I'll become desirable if I also own such a bike."

How many adds have you seen where the "feelings" about the sold item is touted, rather than the item features themselves.  It's hard to ignore the constant bombardment of misdirection.
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.