Author Topic: I finally, finally got that f!@#$%g rotor off!  (Read 2247 times)

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
I finally, finally got that f!@#$%g rotor off!
« on: May 14, 2005, 04:01:48 am »
Woohoo! As you're all no doubt aware, I've had the mother of all pains in the butt trying to remove the alternator rotor offa my beautiful CB750F2, to the point where Mike Rieck (the patron saint of all CB750 addicts) sent me a brand spanking new Honda rotor remover, only for it to remove the internal thread from the rotor, but the rotor was happy to stay put. Bastard!

Well I woke up this morning (just as well too!) and rang a buddy who owns a tool store to see if he had any decent quality 2 or 3 claw flywheel pullers in stock, he invited me to come take a look (but I had to supply the donuts) and eventually I settled on an evil looking US made 6 inch puller, which he loaned me for the weekend.

I got home and went straight out to the garage and attached the puller. I'd previously "centre drilled" the roror bolt for the tapered end of the centre bolt of the puller, so I greased the bolt a tad, and tightened it up, but the rotor was playing it's old games again, so I took out my "Gas Axe" (oxy/acetylen torch) and heated the centre of the rotors hub while it was under tension, and still nothing!

F*ck it, I turned up the gas and heated that rotor up until it was almost glowing red, then gave it a few wacks with my plastic mallet, and "BANG"! After several weeks and as many failed attempts, it was finally off! Oh happy day!

The rotor was too hot to touch for half an hour or so, in the meantime I ratted thru a box of spares and found an immaculate rotor and bolt, so I stripped and cleaned the starter clutch and replaced the three OEM screws with new high tensile items, then wiped a little anti-sieze compund ito the rotors internal taper, and refitted it onto the crank. I re-assembled the alternator cover/transmision cover, gear pedal, foot peg etc, gave it a kick in the guts, and it ran, with no starter clutch squeal like it had previously.

While I hope that I never experience this situation again, if I do, long before I get to the stage where I tear out the internal threads in the rotor I'll bin the Honda tool and use a monster 2 or 3 claw puller and a lot of heat. Job done. Cheers, Terry. ;D 
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
Re: I finally, finally got that f!@#$%g rotor off!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2005, 05:11:19 am »
and so the saga ends........ ;D
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline Quail "Owner of the comfortable k8"

• Expert
  • Now thats good eaten!!
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2005, 06:18:34 am »
Fire. The answer always involes fire.  You credit the puller, I know in my heart it was the " Fire Wrench"
These wonderful little birds are great flyers, delicious eating, excellent for training your hunting dog, and just fun to shoot,or stuff and keep around the house.  Bobwhites can be put with other types of Quail and have very large penis's.  Quail are very popular with the babes.

Offline dpen

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2005, 11:16:28 am »
The bigger the hammer, the easier the job

don_m

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2005, 12:45:53 pm »
Don't force it--get a bigger hammer!
Cheers, Don (Psycle) Madden.

Offline cben750f0

• nothin draws attention like a classic bike!!
  • Master
  • '75 CB750F0 Gladstone NQLD OZ
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2005, 04:59:30 pm »
just wnodering if there were any seals in there that could have got damaged by too much heat?...sorry to be a worrier..peace
you are never to old, to act like a kid... be safe
funny thing,chasing someone down hill on a bike 30 years older than theirs..
he said \\\\\\\'it was like watching a 250kg unguided weapon getting stuck up you bum\\\\\\\ http://www.bikepics.com/members/trixtrem/

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2005, 05:45:49 pm »
just wnodering if there were any seals in there that could have got damaged by too much heat?...sorry to be a worrier..peace

No Ben, there's no crank seal on that side (oil bathed alternator) but surprisingly, I touched the end of the crank once I removed the rotor, and although warm, it certainly wasn't hot. I'll bet it gets a lot hotter in normal operation.

Fire. The answer always involes fire. You credit the puller, I know in my heart it was the " Fire Wrench"

I take my hat off to your fire gods Terry, if it wasn't for them I'd be cursing the manaufacturers of that beautiful, evil looking 2 claw puller! Cheers, Terry. (the victor, enjoying the spoils of war)  ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Hop on a Honda

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2005, 08:31:16 pm »
Terry.
I'm pissing myself laughing as your face appears in my mind as you are rolling on the deck of the #$%* heap you call a shed! ;D.
The glee would have made Walliy Mellish blush!
Have a beer on me .VB of course.
I have  a fridge full as my baggage weight will not allow me to take some to USA!!

Don't tell the yanks I'm off yto USA on Friday to poach every thing a Honda fan needs.
Dave the Pirate.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2005, 08:43:45 pm »
So Dave, you're leaving the country with a fridge full of VB? Hmmnn, what was that address again mate? Ha ha, have a safe trip, and be nice to those American girls, they may well be SOHC4-guys sisters! Cheers, Terry. ;D

Ibsen

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2005, 06:48:45 am »
Finally we got a new headline. ;D