Author Topic: Road racing question (very basic)  (Read 7776 times)

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Road racing question (very basic)
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2014, 08:14:52 am »
Looks good. The 450 drum up front will help. Have you decided on the CB/CL frame afterall?

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2014, 09:33:02 am »
I think for my situation where I am just out to learn I think the standard frame will be sufficient for my skill level. I also see cl cb frames on all the stock race bikes and I will bet money that if the sl was better that they would all be using them.

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2014, 06:17:29 pm »
I think for my situation where I am just out to learn I think the standard frame will be sufficient for my skill level. I also see cl cb frames on all the stock race bikes and I will bet money that if the sl was better that they would all be using them.

Makes perfect sense. If you haven't already addressed fork springs might I suggest you contact RaceTech. You can get specific to match springs with bike/rider weight. It then gives you the chance to set preload, sag, etc. (do the rear to). TimV has been using Heidenau race tires and likes them on his 350's. They are a little less $ than the Avon or Dunlops.

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2014, 06:25:16 pm »
I have an old set of adjustable konis that I am planning to disassemble and clean up. I will definitely check with race tech for the front end when I get a little further. Are race tires a no no on the street? I am wanting to put some shakedown miles on it when I get it together. I was considering a set of street tires to spend some time getting familiar with it as I have never put any miles on a 350. My riders are bmw airhead 750's, cb750, and an old guzzi ambassador so I imagine this will feel peculiar to me. Thanks for the help, I really do appreciate it.

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2014, 06:37:49 pm »
you would  probably be appalled by how bad the stock suspension is compared to your other bikes.  Koni's are a good start in back for getting used to the bike, at least.  However, you will be amazed at how tossable these are, compared to your other bikes.
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2014, 06:40:10 pm »
I did a little tire research and it looks likes street tires are street tires and race tires are, well you know. I think I will snag some decent street tires to ride around on.

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2014, 06:42:28 pm »
Thanks for the advise SB. I am guessing it will be a bit to get used to

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2014, 06:49:53 pm »
Yeah get a good set of street tires.

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2014, 06:54:59 pm »
I am looking at the avon am26. 90/90 and 110/80

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2014, 04:53:38 am »
Good choice.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2014, 06:23:35 am »
Good choice.

+1.  Bought some last year and really like them.

Maybe get extra rims for your race tires?
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline NobleHops

• Don ya be callin' me no
  • Expert
  • Misfit - Tucson, Arizona
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2014, 07:23:16 am »
Roach, good on ya. I also took up road racing at the tender age of 39 (CCS) and while it is undoubtedly one of the riskier endeavors in life it was one of the most intense, awesome and all consuming things I did in my life too. I only raced two years, so take this with a grain of salt, but here's what I'd do if I were doing it over:

Race a "sportsman" class where engine mods are limited. Stay out of an engine arms race.

Optimize your chassis/wheels around the best tires available and legal for your class

Spend your money on suspension, definitely get it sprung correctly for you of course.

Vanson leathers that fit. The end.

Make friends. Go meet all your class competitors, check in on them after they crash, swap parts and help. The camaraderie among racers is pretty awesome.

GET FIT. This is the biggest variable, all other thing being equal. Being fast and smooth and safe takes great core and leg strength.

I hope you will take us along on your journey, I'd love to re experience this vicariously through you. Have a ball
Nils Menten * Tucson, Arizona, USA

I have a motorcycle problem.

My build thread: NobleHops makes a 400F pretty for his wife: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=131210.0

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2014, 09:44:17 am »
Good choice.

+1.  Bought some last year and really like them.

Maybe get extra rims for your race tires?

I am not counting but I think I have 5 cb/cl/sl bikes currently not counting my wifes which is hands off. I plan to do exactly what you described and mount up more than 1 set of wheels and tires at least for the rear. The front is off of a cb450 and I only have one. I dont plan to buy another till I try this one. If I like it I will scrounge around for another one or two.

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2014, 09:55:59 am »
Roach, good on ya. I also took up road racing at the tender age of 39 (CCS) and while it is undoubtedly one of the riskier endeavors in life it was one of the most intense, awesome and all consuming things I did in my life too. I only raced two years, so take this with a grain of salt, but here's what I'd do if I were doing it over:

Race a "sportsman" class where engine mods are limited. Stay out of an engine arms race.

Optimize your chassis/wheels around the best tires available and legal for your class

Spend your money on suspension, definitely get it sprung correctly for you of course.

Vanson leathers that fit. The end.

Make friends. Go meet all your class competitors, check in on them after they crash, swap parts and help. The camaraderie among racers is pretty awesome.

GET FIT. This is the biggest variable, all other thing being equal. Being fast and smooth and safe takes great core and leg strength.

I hope you will take us along on your journey, I'd love to re experience this vicariously through you. Have a ball
Thanks for the advise. I turn  the big four zero this year so I know what you mean about the fitness issue. If you think of anything else I am all ears. Thanks!

Offline NobleHops

• Expert
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2014, 10:25:55 am »
Thanks for the advise. I turn  the big four zero this year so I know what you mean about the fitness issue. If you think of anything else I am all ears. Thanks!

"Worse than crack".

Looking forward to your impressions of your first races.

My build thread: NobleHops makes a 400F pretty for his wife: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=131210.0

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2014, 12:01:17 am »
AM26 (in race compound, wont hurt to add) are indeed a good choice, not sure you'll like their price ;)

Ari Hennen has been doing quite a lot of winning with the Conti RoadAttack II CR. I think he was running a 100 at the front + a  110 FRONT on the back of his CB350 with good results.  I am switching to them this year too, albeit in 110 + 130 size on my GPZ750

try to search for Heidenau race rubber too
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 12:03:05 am by turboguzzi »

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2014, 08:16:33 am »
Tires are ordered. The beginning of a multitude of ben franklin portraits I will wave bye to. I did not order the race compound tires. just the street versions. They were a tick over 200. when I get done with them I will put them on my wife's bike. The race compound was 200 for the front and I could not even find the rear.

I also ordered new spokes for the front, stock versions.
Just how important is it to purchase stainless spokes. I have read that it is quite common but if the stock spokes are torqued properly will they be okay for a while?

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2014, 09:14:46 am »
It's not so much SS vs stock, but the gauge.  Stock spokes are generally the same gauge wire from one end to the other.  You can get spokes (SS or steel) that are 'swaged', meaning the gauge changes - eg 8-9 / 8-10 / 9-10.  These are stronger than stock spokes.  Buchanan makes these - http://www.buchananspokes.net/categories/custom_spoke_sets.asp  Their only a few more 'Franklin's' in cost over stock, but well worth it.
1977 CB550/4 Cafe - Speed Warrior / BOTM 03/11
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
1976 CB400 SS - stock / BOTM 04/11 (SOLD)
1973 CB750 K - basket case (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2014, 09:51:10 pm »
Tires are ordered. The beginning of a multitude of ben franklin portraits I will wave bye to. I did not order the race compound tires. just the street versions. They were a tick over 200. when I get done with them I will put them on my wife's bike. The race compound was 200 for the front and I could not even find the rear.

I also ordered new spokes for the front, stock versions.
Just how important is it to purchase stainless spokes. I have read that it is quite common but if the stock spokes are torqued properly will they be okay for a while?
dont hate me for saying this, but street tires on track are not a good move. IMHO of course... on a more positive note :) i actually prefer stock spokes, good old steel has better fatigue strength than SS.

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2014, 04:09:02 am »
No worries. I am using them to ride on the street a bit. When I get some miles on it I will get some race tires.

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2014, 04:11:13 am »
I'm still surprised that between OK, KS, AR, and TX there aren't any vintage races sanctioned by the bigger clubs.
i suppose there just aren't any decent tracks. I think there is one in New Orleans.

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2014, 01:06:28 pm »

Not a lot to report but I did get a stock motor in it to test out. Tires are in so hopefully by next weekend I will have the wheels and tires sorted. Going to go through the forks and clean and replace seals.

Offline NobleHops

• Expert
« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2014, 11:32:09 pm »
A lower, firmer seat will save weight, get your COG lower, and let you hang off and transition side to side a lot easier. Sell that stocker and see what the fast guys are using.

What's legal to do with the fork? Can you put gold valves in there?

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #73 on: February 02, 2014, 05:06:47 am »
I need to check on the gold valves. I am pretty sure it is ok.

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #74 on: February 02, 2014, 10:39:30 am »