Author Topic: Anyone land speed racing at Loring, Maine or the Ohio mile  (Read 8291 times)

Offline jweeks

• Hot Shot
Re: Anyone land speed racing at Loring, Maine or the Ohio mile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2013, 07:09:34 pm »
No Sam, hell is 500 rpm higher...... ::) :o

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2013, 10:45:29 pm »
No Jon, hell was when the throttle stuck open and it pulled to 13,500 in top....... which goes to show just how low geared it is.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline jweeks

• Hot Shot
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2013, 03:58:36 am »
It held together didn't it? Try to add another 500 rpm to what you did rev to and imagine the motor coming apart at 14,000 rpm. Oil coming out of it onto the rear tire..... To quote a friend of mine "Oh  bloody Hell" being muttered just before going down... ;)

Offline POPS 911

• Expert
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2013, 04:20:15 am »
GEO SCHULD : Come over to OHIO and I will let you run Wilmington, CLINTON COUNTY AIRBASE on one of my 750,400 and 450cc stock HONDAMATIC'S I live about 50 miles from the airfield and you could set the records in the classes. I have many gear set ups for all bikes........ for the mile. You will need your leathers and current certified helmet, we have a nice motorhome and awaning and my girl friend can fly down in the plane. We can bring all three type bikes 400,450,750cc for you to make a pass on on this fine long smooth landing strip.

POPS BK911

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2013, 09:44:00 pm »
Pops,

Wow, generous offer :o.  But I have a thing about pushing a bike hard that I do not own...

Thanks for the offer though.

George

Offline Powderman

• Master
    • Creative Candy Powder Coating
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2013, 09:55:25 pm »
108 MPH is beatable guys, go to it.... 8)

Why go to Ohio when I have a ticket with 116mph on it.  ::) after 1320 feet. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Because it doesn't put you in the record books as a world record holder. It's all about the bragging rights. The car I helped build in 2011 has set class record at B'ville in 2011 and then again in 2012. It also set class record at the last Maxton Mile and the first Ohio mile as well as being the first car in the 200mph club at Ohio. Our car is pictured in the SCTA rulebook heading the Comp Coupe class and the ECTA web site for car schedule. Bob (owner/driver) gets all the bragging rights. That's why I pulled out the old XR1327 to make an attempt this year in a class that has no existing record. Now if I could just get my motor back.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2013, 10:36:09 pm »
108 MPH is beatable guys, go to it.... 8)

Why go to Ohio when I have a ticket with 116mph on it.  ::) after 1320 feet. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Because it doesn't put you in the record books as a world record holder. It's all about the bragging rights. The car I helped build in 2011 has set class record at B'ville in 2011 and then again in 2012. It also set class record at the last Maxton Mile and the first Ohio mile as well as being the first car in the 200mph club at Ohio. Our car is pictured in the SCTA rulebook heading the Comp Coupe class and the ECTA web site for car schedule. Bob (owner/driver) gets all the bragging rights. That's why I pulled out the old XR1327 to make an attempt this year in a class that has no existing record. Now if I could just get my motor back.

He was joking mate.... ;D ;)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2013, 09:07:50 am »
Yes Mick, thanks for that  ;D

Sorry Marc, my real name is Bill Benton and I live just a few minutes away in Cumming.
Call in for a chat sometime, might find something for you to paint.

http://youtu.be/NxpCWkkO7wE

Sam/Bill. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2013, 05:08:06 pm »
No Jon, hell was when the throttle stuck open and it pulled to 13,500 in top....... which goes to show just how low geared it is.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Samauto,proper gearing and tuning....break 150 mph! Tiger....160-170mph!Pena chassis and BIG motor? Looks like LSR in the future!!!K. Bill
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2013, 05:10:47 pm »
check your PMs Billy, off to bed now.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline Powderman

• Master
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2013, 10:59:48 am »
Samauto,proper gearing and tuning....break 150 mph! Tiger....160-170mph!Pena chassis and BIG motor? Looks like LSR in the future!!!K. Bill
Just remember when you go big motor it puts you in a different class. The CB750 would run in a 750 class, any thing over 750 goes into the 1000cc class. So your "big" 850 may not hang with the "big" 1000cc bikes. This was a concern for me when I thought I had a 1032cc motor that would have put me in the 1350cc class. I didn't think there was a record setting chance with my motor so I had no plans to go to B'ville with it and try for 173mph. I later found my builder had snuck in a big stroker kit on my motor that actually bumped me to the 1327cc point putting me into the territory where records are conceivable.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 10:07:00 pm by Powderman »

Offline Powderman

• Master
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2013, 10:07:42 pm »
Still no results from the Ohio Mile 2 weeks ago, unbelievable.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2013, 07:28:24 pm »
I think there were weather issues.

Offline Powderman

• Master
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2013, 08:25:21 pm »
I think there were weather issues.
Weather issues with what?

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2013, 08:34:43 pm »
I'm not positive, some venues in the area had wind or rain. Most of Illinois and Indiana were rained out. The list appears like there weren't many passes, most got one many got none. But I'm only speculating.

Offline Powderman

• Master
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2013, 09:14:05 pm »
There were 290 passes listed. Some got as many as 6 passes. I don't see how some could have gotten 6 when some got none due to weather. I think list may have listed all entrants but not all showed up. I didn't hear of any weather issues or delays at Ohio.

Offline johno

• Expert
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2013, 03:51:07 am »
sufferin catfish, everybody went 200mph, oooooh thats fast for an ol timer like me ::)

I couldnt find any MPG 750  or MPF 750  ???    glad really , just in case they went 200 ;) make me feel like Ive done my dollars. ;D                     wonder what the record is in those classes ?
johno
GRASSHOPPER SOHC HONDAS ARE THE MEANING OF LIFE.

Offline Powderman

• Master
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2013, 09:55:36 am »
sufferin catfish, everybody went 200mph, oooooh thats fast for an ol timer like me ::)

I couldnt find any MPG 750  or MPF 750  ???    glad really , just in case they went 200 ;) make me feel like Ive done my dollars. ;D                     wonder what the record is in those classes ?
johno
Did you look for them? They are on the ECTA website. The MPG 750 record is 129.768, the MPF record is 119.693. This is another case I don't understand. You would think you would make more power and be faster on fuel than gas. The same bike set both records and was 10mph slower in fuel than he was in gas. I say "in" because I don't know if he actually was running fuel on that run. You can't run fuel in the gas class but you don't have to run fuel in the fuel class. If it were me I would set record in gas on gas and then just bump to the fuel class still on gas and set an equivalent record in fuel.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2013, 10:49:17 am »
The fuel run might have been into a strong head wind. Don't forget, these are only one way flash readings at the end of a 1 mile run up.

Sam. :)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline POPS 911

• Expert
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2013, 04:31:06 am »
gschuld: You can push [ RIDE ] my laydown 1982  72" KZ LTD J-MODEL down that mile with no problem and I will go pick up the 2009 72"  10mm stroker BUSA that will take your weight just fine down the mile = the guy we built it for to run 1/4 mile weight 245 lbs. and we got many gear set ups for the long haul. These bikes unlike some bikes I see has a kill lanyards and safety wires, belly pans, stearing stabilizers,shocks,shift lights [ you do not have time to look at a tach ] slammed on the ground [ not dirt bikes ]  butt seats to keep you in place, quick throttle.................... come on over I live 5 minutes from I-71 SB and 47 mile from this long flat airfield............... If you want my business partner can fly you down from COLUMBUS...
We got motorhome trailer tools ,food,TV,WEATHER STATION, RUN PREDICTOR.

POPS BK911

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2013, 05:02:03 pm »
Thanks again for the offer Pops, but I have a thing about riding other peoples bikes, never mind pushing them hard.  Chances are if you see me doing a run on a track, be it drag strip, road race, of land speed course, it will be on a bike that I own and know well.  It's just a personal thing.  Few things would bother me more than breaking someone else's ride ???.

George

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2013, 07:07:02 pm »
I feel the same way George; I've crashed others bikes before, as well as chewed them out; "Why the #$%* didn't you tell me the rear brake didn't work, you idiot" ;)
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline POPS 911

• Expert
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2013, 04:29:12 am »
SCOTTLY, In 25 years of drag racing I BROKE ONE CHAIN AND ONE FIRST GEAR  on KZ'S that I made hundreds of passes on yearly. My bikes have new slicks or tires, chains,clutches, tires, cables and shift light bulbs. I used only grade 8 bolts in every hole and lock tight or anti sieze on every thread.    I see these guys with no kill lanyards, struts,hard street tires, no shift light bouncing down the track over reving bending valves or worst slamming down and breaking their oil pan and spraying oil all over the track.....................  if GEO broke a bike I let him ride I could afford it as these bikes paid for themselfs a few years back in winnings.

POPS BK911