Author Topic: I believe the CB450 is the most impressive bike ever made.  (Read 182042 times)

fendersrule

Re: I believe the CB450 is the most impressive bike ever made.
« Reply #150 on: June 29, 2013, 09:18:32 am »
I like those wheels.

The thing is, my spoked wheels are in really really good shape. I'm a little surprised by it.

It appears that guage rebuild services are really expensive. Even just opening one of these gauges up to replace the faceplate seems like a job.

http://www.partsnmore.com/parts/honda/cb450/?filters%5Bcategory%5D=controls&filters%5Bfitting%5D=universal

Starting to wonder about those minis....

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #151 on: June 29, 2013, 04:10:58 pm »
Lester Gibsons I think are crap, IMO. My Gibson VOS '58 RI on the other hand is a true classic and is absolutely stunning. Fender RI axes run Gibson around in circles in build quality for an instrument under $1500. When I look at my 52 RI Tele and my 58 VOS Gibson, though a different sound, I really can't tell you that one is better as far as build quality as they are both high quality instruments.

So your example is poor. I never said the CB750 is crap. Just like I would never say "Gibson" is crap, or "Fender" is crap. You sort of defeated yourself by your own example. Gibson makes crap instruments, just like Fender too.

You said "Lester Gibsons I think are crap" the you said "Just like I would never say "Gibson" is crap"     :o   {that would have been Norlin era Gibsons, ALL LP's are referred to as "lesters"}

You off your meds mate... :o No where did i say anything was crap at all, as far as i can see, you are the only to use that word, stop putting words into my mouth to feed your insecurities dude... ::)  Besides you totally missed the point, i said that "  thats just my opinion", are you smart enough to comprehend that..?

I "come into a single cam forum". Another lie. I'm in the "Other Bikes" forum. Besides, shouldn't we be a little above the "eww, you have a DOHC so it SUCKS" nonsense?

Wrong, you are on the SOHC forum and you are in the "Other Bikes" sub forum.... And again, no one said that the 450 sucks, once again its you twisting things.....

I don't think people have a valid opinion on a CB450 when they haven't ridden on a CB450. Just like I don't think people have a valid opinion on the CB750 if they haven't ridden on one. Only thing you "KNOW" about is how it looks. Fair enough?

Really, nice assumption again dude, I have owned over 40 bikes from a ct110 to gsxr1100's, I worked in bike shops in the 1980's and have ridden every make of bike available in Australia including {i've already said this.. ::)} a really nice K2450 i owned for about 2 years, A lot of my friends in that period raced and i crewed for them , My first registered road bike was a CB750 {i was 16 1979}} and I never got my car license until i was 40, road bikes all my life.  I also CLEARLY stated that " thats just my opinion"  so instead of getting your panties in a twist about your friggin 450, try reading EVERYTHING, and stop blowing up like a fool, most everything you just posted in that stupid reply was bullsh1t..... I just went back and read the whole thread, NO ONE IS ATTACKING YOU, or saying half the things you claim,  unless you are paranoid delusional..... Yes you have pissed me off, putting words into my mouth and calling me a liar, suck it up princess, add some cement with your meds.... ::)  Would you be happier if i posted pictures of me doing wheelstands and burnouts to legitimize my comments.....FFS  ::)
You are a overly defensive to the point where you are not reading anything, just getting your back up because you see everyone else's opinion as an attack, thats not what happening here even if you want it too, pull your head in, read everything and give a balanced reply, I have tons of experience with motorcycles over a 35 year period mate, when i offer an opinion its based on what i know, not made up.....So, stop making things up..... ;D :o  Go back to the start, have a read, see your over reactions and comment appropriately, hissy fits are for girls....
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

fendersrule

« Reply #152 on: June 29, 2013, 04:48:01 pm »
You said "Lester Gibsons I think are crap" the you said "Just like I would never say "Gibson" is crap"     :o   {that would have been Norlin era Gibsons, ALL LP's are referred to as "lesters"}

Anything that isn't produced in the custom shop from Gibson is in my opinion overpriced and not an "authentic" Les Paul (especially when you see dissected pictures of the build quality). I would never make such a general statement like you did, which just goes to show how much you know about Fenders and Gibsons. That was my point.

Wrong, you are on the SOHC forum and you are in the "Other Bikes" sub forum.... And again, no one said that the 450 sucks, once again its you twisting things.....

There is no excuse for intolerance. I don't care if it's a SOHC or DOHC forum. I don't care to hear you defend intolerance or ignorance by what forum "type" we are discussing Honda on. As I've said, I don't segregate or billittle bikes just because there is one or two camshafts inside, which you clearly do judging by your last post.

The rest of your post is filled with Ad hominems. It's probably not even allowed here to be honest. I really don't care to reply to the rest, so I'll just not bother with you. If you want to see what you call a "balanced" reply, take a look at Ichiban 4's post. If you want to talk about facts and evidence, I'll be happy to reply back. Go ahead and be upset; I never was upset.

Ride safe friend. I'm also a huge fan of Mad Max. It seems like that film was full of Kawis.

Now, who's got a CB450 and a CB750 that they can race together to 60 MPH :)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 05:04:09 pm by fendersrule »

fendersrule

« Reply #153 on: June 29, 2013, 04:59:52 pm »
Don't know if you have seen this already, but here's a nice little video. Enjoy Fender ;)
Honda CB 450 1973, Restoring Project, Part 2

I literally had to wipe off my screen from spewing a drink all over it. This was hilarious. That guy obviously loves his bike. I think that's what counts.

fendersrule

« Reply #154 on: June 29, 2013, 05:05:00 pm »
I like my 450..... It's just not my favourite.

But hey....I fall in love with every new type I buy......

I've never been a huge fan of twins.....if I was I'd probably have more of them.

I like multiple cylinders......catch a ride on a CBX if you can...a first year w the twin shocks....good fun.

I will hate on you if you keep calling the 400F pipes names tho lol.

One of the prettiest pipes honda ever built.

Can't they just be....bent back straight? :)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 05:25:56 pm by fendersrule »

Offline toytuff

• "watching the pinheads"
  • Old Timer
« Reply #155 on: June 29, 2013, 05:09:04 pm »
I like my 450..... It's just not my favourite.

But hey....I fall in love with every new type I buy......

I've never been a huge fan of twins.....if I was I'd probably have more of them.

I like multiple cylinders......catch a ride on a CBX if you can...a first year w the twin shocks....good fun.

I will hate on you if you keep calling the 400F pipes names tho lol.

One of the prettiest pipes honda ever built.

+1

I said the same thing in post 31.

tt
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 05:10:42 pm by toytuff »

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #156 on: June 29, 2013, 05:37:57 pm »

Anything that isn't produced in the custom shop from Gibson is in my opinion overpriced and not an "authentic" Les Paul (especially when you see dissected pictures of the build quality). I would never make such a general statement like you did, which just goes to show how much you know about Fenders and Gibsons. That was my point.

Wrong , you are on the SOHC forum and you are in the "Other Bikes" sub forum.... And again, no one said that the 450 sucks, once again its you twisting things.....

There is no excuse for intolerance. I don't care if it's a SOHC or DOHC forum. I don't care to hear you defend intolerance or ignorance by what forum "type" we are discussing Honda on. As I've said, I don't segregate or billittle bikes just because there is one or two camshafts inside, which you clearly do judging by your last post.

The rest of your post is filled with Ad hominems. It's probably not even allowed here to be honest. I really don't care to reply to the rest, so I'll just not bother with you. If you want to see what you call a "balanced" reply, take a look at Ichiban 4's post. If you want to talk about facts and evidence, I'll be happy to reply back. Go ahead and be upset; I never was upset.

Ride safe friend. I'm also a huge fan of Mad Max. It seems like that film was full of Kawis.

Now, who's got a CB450 and a CB750 that they can race together to 60 MPH :)

Wrong again, Every time you open your mouth and make assumptions about me you make a complete tool of yourself, I used it as an example of an opinion but i see you are totally devoid of understanding.... You think i don't know that Gibson fill their standards with holes to lighten them because they use cheap Brazillian Mahogany, do you think i don't know that Gibson put a small piece of timber in front of their dodgey rocker style neck joints to hide how bad they are...? You assumptions are about as good as your comprehension skills and changing track to guitars is grabbing at straws. The real facts are that ALL my LP's are custom made in Japan, I have 2 Tokai LP's that are both exquisitely made {1 one off and the other is one of six, I have imported guitars out of Japan for over 10 years due to the poor quality of the American product from both Gibson and Fender}, Both have long tenon neck joints {the tightest neck joints i have ever seen}, hand wired pickups, Canadian rock maple tops and are both made of Honduras Mahogany, neck and body one has Madagascar ebony for fret board and the other had Braz rosewood, {yes jacaranda as its referred too}, you can't even get that in the Gibson custom shop, My only Fender copy is a very rare and immaculate Tokai st70, makes most Fenders sound cheap, My Greco, Bacchus and Burny LP's all have long tenon neck joints and my Greco LP custom has sustain and tone for days, its a real Gibson Killer, so like everything else you are wrong with your assumptions mate....Your doing well.... ::)

Thats more bull#$%* mate, just your stupid opinion with another good twist, there has been no intolerance or belittling of the 450 shown here or any defending of such behavior , only in your small mind or the intolerance shown by your poor reactions to anyone that disagrees with you, you have shown a major intolerant for others opinions and possessing the ability to turn everything into a "poor you"  scenario. Get your sh1t together man..  Don't give me lessons on balanced mate, your one sided approach is funny at best and ridiculous at worst. Go look up intolerance and Ad hominem , you are very good at it.... Like i said earlier {a few times} I liked my 450 but it was too slow, my 20 odd 750's weren't, well some were to start with but thats another thread altogether....Oh, up to 60MPH the 750 will eat the 450...... 8)  Why don't you tell us what other bikes you've owned Fenders..? I will willingly give you a list of all mine...?
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #157 on: June 29, 2013, 05:41:34 pm »
is a cb450 as fast as a late eighties suzy gs450 twin?

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #158 on: June 29, 2013, 06:00:58 pm »
is a cb450 as fast as a late eighties suzy gs450 twin?

The GS450 has been around since the late 1970's Dave, and while it was only really ever a mid sized commuter, it was a good handler and very robustly built, if not a little heavy. A much nicer bike than Yamaha's XS400 of the same era, I had a loan of one for a couple of weeks in 1983 and a workmate had the Yamaha, and the Suzy would kick it's arse. I never had a race with a CB450 though, so I couldn't compare the two. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
  • www.facebook.com/RetroMecanicaAustralia
« Reply #159 on: June 29, 2013, 06:20:06 pm »
Gs 400 1976 - 1980ish

Followed by the GS450 in 1980-1987.

Similar but I always thought the earlier CB450 peppier and more sporting. The Suzuki is easier to work on and simpler.

The gs/gsx was a direct competitor to the Honda cm series....and better than.

Late 70's early 80's? I'd put my money on a Kawasaki. Z400/440 to be exact.

I'd still take the Honda cb450 1968-1974 first.
Stranger in a strange land

fendersrule

« Reply #160 on: June 29, 2013, 08:36:39 pm »
Finally added an Avatar photo (after more than 7 months).

I thought this one would do great:

Just damned mean. That was the last day I sat on my CB450....

Yes, my jacket is made of Hemp. ;)

Bill Lane has an phenomenal color scheme. Because I'm going to have to paint my fenders (the chrome is wearing), I think I'm going to have to photoshop some options.

Option A: Repaint Black (White Decals) w/ Silver Fenders and Chrome Rims. Problem: Makes the bike look small (being 6'4, that's not a good idea) but mean.

Option B: Repaint CB750 Orange (White Decals) w/ Silver Fenders and Chrome Rim. My initial choice.

Option C: Repaint White (Black Decals) w/ Silver Fenders and Chrome Rims. Pros: Makes the bike look big, but does it make it look "mean?"

I'm not able to rechrome these fenders because that's just too expensive. Plus, if I repaint them, then I can do bodywork to fix a couple dings.

What do you guys think? What speaks of "mean", but also classic with a bit of "contemporary"?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 09:15:13 pm by fendersrule »

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #161 on: June 29, 2013, 10:22:12 pm »
I think you've pissed retro off.......

And probably a few others.....

Paint it whatever color makes you happy.

Checkerboard or stripes add 10 mph

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #162 on: June 29, 2013, 11:21:01 pm »
that wont be enough to keep pace with my 550 im afraid,itll stay with me halfway through 1st gear then its bye bye 450!

Offline dhall57

• Old Timer
  • The 70's! SOHC4 Honda's & Marcia Brady of course.
« Reply #163 on: June 30, 2013, 05:08:38 am »

I believe your right.  But maybe in his next post Retro want hold anything back and will let us know how he really feels ::)
1970 CB750KO
1971 CB500KO-project bike
1973 CB350G- project bike
1974 CB750K4-project bike
1974 CB750K4
1976 CB750K6
1977 GL1000
1997 Harley Wideglide

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #164 on: June 30, 2013, 06:07:33 am »

I believe your right.  But maybe in his next post Retro want hold anything back and will let us know how he really feels ::)

I've met retro....he's a good bloke and straight up.

Offline Killer Canary

• Master
  • Typical Bran Muffin
« Reply #165 on: June 30, 2013, 07:10:27 am »
Rickenbacker 4001 flattens Fender and Gibson! Ooops, I meant all guitars are worthy of love. ;D ;D ;D
If it's worth doing at all it's worth over-doing.
Honda MT250, CB400F, CB450K, CB550, GL500, CBR929
Kawi GPz900, H1

Offline toytuff

• Old Timer
« Reply #166 on: June 30, 2013, 09:36:25 am »
Rickenbacker 4001 flattens Fender and Gibson! Ooops, I meant all guitars are worthy of love. ;D ;D ;D

Had several Rickie's myself. Even special ordered a fretless 4001. Took 13 months to get it.

I have had a total of 22 bass guitars thru the years. Sold all of them but one. My favorite is the G&L ASAT.

tt

Offline dhall57

• Old Timer
« Reply #167 on: June 30, 2013, 10:02:31 am »
Toy is that Rickenbacker 4001 a sohc or a dohc. Just want to make sure your posting on the right forum. Hahaha ;D
1970 CB750KO
1974 CB750K4
1976 CB750K6
1977 GL1000
1997 Harley Wideglide

Offline toytuff

• Old Timer
« Reply #168 on: June 30, 2013, 10:08:14 am »
Toy is that Rickenbacker 4001 a sohc or a dohc. Just want to make sure your posting on the right forum. Hahaha ;D

Did I have a Senior moment? Again?

I thought I saw Gibson and Fender being discussed. My bad. Sorry.

Well, it might "cool down" this thread a bit.  ;D

tt

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #169 on: June 30, 2013, 10:20:04 am »
Can the Rickie beat the Gibson in 0-60...i mean the CL version Rickie..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline Killer Canary

• Master
  • Typical Bran Muffin
« Reply #170 on: June 30, 2013, 10:48:23 am »
Depends on gearing and string gauge.
And pickup. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
If it's worth doing at all it's worth over-doing.
Honda MT250, CB400F, CB450K, CB550, GL500, CBR929
Kawi GPz900, H1

Offline dhall57

• Old Timer
« Reply #171 on: June 30, 2013, 10:55:50 am »

Had several Rickie's myself. Even special ordered a fretless 4001. Took 13 months to get it.

I have had a total of 22 bass guitars thru the years. Sold all of them but one. My favorite is the G&L ASAT.

tt
By the pic it looks all original. I bet it was running when parked too uh ???
1970 CB750KO
1974 CB750K4
1976 CB750K6
1977 GL1000
1997 Harley Wideglide

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #172 on: June 30, 2013, 10:59:03 am »
What's the best oil to use on that Rickie?!
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline toytuff

• Old Timer
« Reply #173 on: June 30, 2013, 02:07:54 pm »
Well I see we now have..

tt
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 02:22:54 pm by toytuff »

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #174 on: June 30, 2013, 02:14:42 pm »
Gretsch #$%*es

Pre fender btw