Author Topic: Turn signal relay question  (Read 1506 times)

Offline Gchatley

Turn signal relay question
« on: June 28, 2017, 10:07:42 am »
So in the process of taking apart the bike for the first time I neglected to take good pictures of the wiring connections beside the battery on my cb350f. That being said, everything is put back together and all the electrics work except for the turn signals flashing. I have a green wire which looks like it connects to the relay(according to the wiring diagram) but the relay only has 2 connection points for which i have a black and grey connected. Trying to attach a picture, so hopefully that will help but basically, where does this green wire connect to?

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Turn signal relay question
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 10:09:37 am »
If you use a three terminal flasher, you'll need that green wire.  Honda left the option.
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline Bodi

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 10:32:22 am »
Do the signals work otherwise - come on but don't flash?
Yes? - Pull either flasher wire off and see if the signal light goes out. No? - wiring mistake, they are getting power from somewhere other than the flasher. Yes? - the flasher is dead ... or you installed LED signals or bulbs, these don't pull enough current to flash the flasher.
No? - wiring mistake somewhere I think.

Offline Gchatley

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 04:31:38 pm »
When i press left blinker the left lights come on but do not flash. Same for the right side, right now i sadly click it on and off to flash it. I pulled the black wire off the flasher and put the green one in its place, nothing came on. Then i put the black back on and put the green where the grey was, nothing came on buuut i heard something clicking. I'm thinking the flasher is bad, but I'll play with it more.

Online RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 05:03:36 pm »
If not running and at revs where regulator is working and getting enough to charge the battery, then there are a few bikes, very early Hondas or small Hondas the signals will not flash at idle...

Your bike should not act like that if it is running and it was working before.
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline Gchatley

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 05:35:46 pm »
I'm not sure that the flashers were working before i rebuilt it, so I'm just working from the ground up. The flashers don't work at any revs or speeds, was trying it around 40mph and same result. Anyone have a picture of another cb350f electrics to compare it to? Flashers aren't expensive i might end up purchasing one

Online RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 06:02:38 pm »
May want to consider an electronic unit if you consider putting LED bulbs in, save you the expense later.  Superbright LEDs is a good source for good quality very bright LED bulbs.  Seen several at auto parts store that were junk because of narrow viewing angle and low light output.

David
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 09:23:00 pm »
As TT said the green wire is extra, leave it unconnected. Try reversing the black and grey wires.  if that does not work, you need a new flasher as long as the signal lights come on but do not flash....Larry

Offline Gchatley

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 07:25:03 am »
Well, update it's flashing fine now. All that was wrong was that the grey and black wires were switched, thanks all for the input! I guess i was overthinking it because of the extra green wire but we're all good.