Author Topic: CB750 K1 project  (Read 49370 times)

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: CB750 K1 project
« Reply #75 on: October 13, 2013, 06:58:28 am »
Not sure but I think your boots are on upside down... It looks funky unless it is just the angle of the pic... Also the grab bar looks to have  awkward bend in it... Your project looks great... Absolutely diggin' the tins..... I may need to order me a set....One day
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2013, 07:08:36 am »
Here is my grab bar.... Not as much bend in it.... fork boots as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #77 on: October 15, 2013, 11:26:15 pm »
Not sure but I think your boots are on upside down... It looks funky unless it is just the angle of the pic... Also the grab bar looks to have  awkward bend in it... Your project looks great... Absolutely diggin' the tins..... I may need to order me a set....One day

No mate, his gaitors can only go on one way, and they're the right way up. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Dunk

• Expert
« Reply #78 on: October 16, 2013, 11:44:47 am »
Yes mine are the same orientation as on Tews bike. They seem a little tight on the bottom over the fork lowers giving a little bulge. Hopefully that opens up a bit after they've been on a while. I forget where I got them but perhaps there are better reproductions available.

I got a new DID stamped rim for the front. Not really satisfied with the quality. There is something loose inside that I can hear while rolling it. Maybe some slag from the weld, doubtful that it's enough to affect balance. There is also one spot where the chrome is blemished. Not very happy about it but I don't know that there is much else available. The rear wheel is the same DID stamped wheel though older and has a few minor scratches from previous tire mountings so I guess I'll have to settle for less than perfection. Doesn't make me happy about it though.

Offline Dunk

• Expert
« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2013, 05:54:27 pm »
New front rim laced and now truing. So boring and tedious.

Caliper bracket disassembled and need to polish...

Offline Dunk

• Expert
« Reply #80 on: October 17, 2013, 06:01:28 pm »
And a teaser because I don't feel like truing this wheel and certainly don't feel like mounting a tire after it's done... So why not kill a few minutes with another picture?  ;D

Offline cheftuskey121

• Super Newbie
  • Expert
« Reply #81 on: October 17, 2013, 06:17:47 pm »
coming along nicely :D love seeing the truing. it takes me back to that fun day. very satisfying knowing you are controlling your own tolerances.

what exhaust system is that? looks pretty clutch

Offline Dunk

• Expert
« Reply #82 on: October 17, 2013, 07:55:38 pm »
Yes it is satisfying to know I control the tolerances. If spec is .040"+ maybe that's as good as a mechanic would do if I hired it out. i got it within .008" radial and .006" lateral. I think I could do better but I'm not in the mood to be a perfectionist tonight. Maybe a sign I should call it quits soon.

Anyhow, got Yamiya front fender bolt kit. Yamiya on left, what came off the bike on right. Yamiya calls these K0-K2 front fender bolts. No idea if what was on there is original or from a later bike. Which is correct for a K1? I'm using the Yamiya bolt since they're nice and shiny but will bag and tag what came off for another bike or if I ever want a more perfect restoration.

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #83 on: October 17, 2013, 08:05:01 pm »
Nice exhaust! I really like mine.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #84 on: October 18, 2013, 10:41:45 pm »
I don't like the Yamiya "faux Yoshimura" pipe, I'm sure they work well, but I don't like the sharp corners, it reminds me of a redneck's stovepipe. Anyway, if it works well, no biggie. Yamiya is a great shop, I bought some parts from them this week for the two CB750 engines I'm rebuilding, and I'm looking forward to receiving them next week. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Dunk

• Expert
« Reply #85 on: October 23, 2013, 04:53:36 pm »
Yeah I didn't realize it had the sharp bends before ordering. Not crazy about that but I still like the pipe overall.

Getting some more work done tonight. Bouncing around between this and another project. Got the caliper and rotor painted. New caliper piston and misc parts arrived so ready to assemble that soon. Took a picture of the red inspection dot before blasting in case I want to try to duplicate that.

Blasted the bracket and got the easy piece polished. Not going nuts on these but just enough to look presentable and not out of place next to the more nicely polished fork lowers.

If I'm ambitious maybe I'll have this on the bike tonight.

Offline Dunk

• Expert
« Reply #86 on: October 23, 2013, 07:47:13 pm »
Bracket is on and I was going to put the wheel on but apparently my front wheel bearings are screwed up. New bearings turned freely before lacing the rim and mounting the tire. Now tight and won't turn. Tapped non retainer side bearing a hair out and both are sort of stuck where they are even without a snug fit on the spacer. Not sure what happened here, but apparently I'll be ordering new front wheel bearings... Again.

Offline Dunk

• Expert
« Reply #87 on: October 25, 2013, 08:08:05 pm »
New front wheel bearings ordered and should arrive next week. A little bummed with the delay. Best I can figure is I put these bearings in before polishing the hub and later decided to polish. After polishing I cleaned with soap and water, though took care not to soak the bearings. Maybe some managed to get in and started rusting. Oh well, not sealed as well as I would have hoped. Wheel with bad bearings and rotor painted.

Caliper needed another coat of paint as it was a bit thin in spots. Two more coats...

I put the headlight bucket and front turn signals on. Little stuff to keep me motivated.

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #88 on: October 25, 2013, 08:44:45 pm »
Looking great.. Love the tins! Can we get a teaser with the tank and side covers mounted pic?

Offline Dunk

• Expert
« Reply #89 on: October 25, 2013, 09:37:02 pm »
Best I can do for now...  8)

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #90 on: October 25, 2013, 09:38:19 pm »
Oh man thanks! That is sweet!

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #91 on: October 26, 2013, 07:43:41 am »
That poor Cougar has to be wondering what it needs to do to get some of the love and attention you are giving your 750. LOL
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #92 on: October 26, 2013, 03:48:00 pm »
It looks great mate, but that seat must be bugging you? There are heaps of NOS K1 seats on eBay, but the prices are scary, anywhere between 300 and 600 bucks.

I bought this excellent repro for $150, and even though I haven't installed it yet, it looks great. Unlike my previous repro seat, this one has a steel base, and if I didn't know it was a repro, I would have assumed that it was the real deal. Cheers, Terry. ;D

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HONDA-CB750-FOUR-1969-1971-SANDCAST-DUCK-TAIL-BRAND-NEW-SEAT-/190943578667?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c751fca2b

Offline Dunk

• Expert
« Reply #93 on: October 30, 2013, 05:20:46 pm »
That poor Cougar has to be wondering what it needs to do to get some of the love and attention you are giving your 750. LOL

It's actually a Galaxie, but yes I'm sure it's feeling jealous! Was my grandmothers car originally so I have all the original paperwork and history. It was my second car and daily drove it and must have put 70k or 80k miles on it. I remember the odometer rolling over on the way to a car show where it won in that class. Swapped the original 302 for a 460 I built and a few years later started body work. New floor pans, new quarter panel in on one side, then life got in the way and it went on the back burner. At the time I had a '66 Galaxie convertible so didn't need two Galaxies, ended up selling the convertible even though I liked it more since this one has been in the family since new. Anyhow, it's next on the project list.

Offline Dunk

• Expert
« Reply #94 on: October 30, 2013, 05:22:46 pm »
It looks great mate, but that seat must be bugging you? There are heaps of NOS K1 seats on eBay, but the prices are scary, anywhere between 300 and 600 bucks.

I bought this excellent repro for $150, and even though I haven't installed it yet, it looks great. Unlike my previous repro seat, this one has a steel base, and if I didn't know it was a repro, I would have assumed that it was the real deal. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Yeah I have been looking at some of the ebay seats but there are a few different ones and I wasn't sure on quality. I'll need to order one soon and it's good that you can vouch for the quality of this one. Thanks for the tip!

Offline cheftuskey121

• Super Newbie
  • Expert
« Reply #95 on: October 30, 2013, 07:02:33 pm »
I can vouch for that seat too! metal pan and great quality seat. very good cush for my tush. looks fantastic with the little ducktail too. highly recommend if you want an all-in-one deal that bolts right up

Offline Dunk

• Expert
« Reply #96 on: October 30, 2013, 08:44:18 pm »
Lost a fastener for the front wheel. I was trying to rush it to get it on tonight so serves me right. Ordered new so they'll be shiny and such. Gives me time to clean and polish more parts.

Offline Dunk

• Expert
« Reply #97 on: November 17, 2013, 04:55:37 pm »
It's been a while since I had a chance to work on the bike, but anyhow a little update. Got the front wheel together and balanced. Caliper assembled, installed and adjusted. Misc. other things. Here is how it sits now. Sorry for the low quality cell phone picture, camera is inside. Hopefully I'll be able to get another night or two in later this week.

Offline mwvachon

• Hot Shot
  • The Family Heirloom
« Reply #98 on: November 22, 2013, 08:15:35 pm »
Damnit!Damnit!Damnit! So YOU'RE the one that got the Polynesian Blue kit from Yamiya! I ended up settling for the ruby red kit; which actually looks quite nice now that I have them in front of me! I'm also doing a K1 right now (my second - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=108498.0) I noticed you managed to find a tail lamp bracket - can I ask where? Also in looking at the images, it's quite possible that this is a reproduction part - but it still looks nice. I know when I did my first K1 and had to replace the rear fender, there was just no way the original tail lamp bracket could go back on, no matter how much I tried to clean it up! Thanks and keep up the good work - you're a lot further along than I am!
M.W.Vachon
2014 CB1100 Deluxe
1999 Valkyrie I/S
1971 CB750-K1 (Candy Gold)
1971 CB750-K1 (Candy Red)
Project link: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=108498.0]
1965 Honda S90
1976 GL1000
1975 CB400F

Offline Dunk

• Expert
« Reply #99 on: November 24, 2013, 02:37:22 pm »
Yes that would be me who got the polynesian blue metallic. I was trying to decide between that and valley green metallic but Yamiya didn't have the green so that sealed the deal on polynesian blue.

Tail lamp bracket was ebay, came from overseas and appears to be a foreign market bracket that is slightly different in size. Without seeing it next to a correct US K1 market bracket I think it would be very difficult to tell apart. I'll be having a look at your thread. I'm always glad to see other bikes resurrected and see how others do things and if there's anything I could do better.

Anyhow, got some more progress...

Master cylinder rebuilt. Not sure if this pic was before or after cleaning. What finish did these have originally and what are people doing to finish them? Looks like originally black anodized. I am hesitant to paint it as I worry about slight brake fluid spills damaging the paint and having a much worse looking master than I have now. Should I leave it as is? Paint it? Polish it (does have a few minor scratches in the front of the bowl exterior)? This is easy to remove nad do any time so for now it'll probably go on as is unless someone has a better idea.

Also got the petcock cleaned and reuilt. What a pain scrubbing overspray off. Wasn't sure on original finish and it looked a loittle dull to me after all the scrubbing so I lightly polished. Doesn't show well in these pics (cheesy cell phone pics, forgot to bring the camera out), but it looks pretty nice.

Also I think I forgot the outside o-ring on the rear hub/drive flange joint. I see two in my old parts box and can't find a receipt for buying a new one. Quick and easy, but still annoying to have to pull the rear wheel. I believe at this point it's mostly a lot of little detail parts and soon I'll be working on the engine. Engine will likely just be replacing a few gaskets, polishing covers, and otherwise making it look good, as it didn't seem to be work out or have any issues.