Author Topic: hitch mounted towing  (Read 1665 times)

Offline wardenerd

• Expert
  • '77 550F '81 650C
hitch mounted towing
« on: November 05, 2013, 04:47:54 am »
Any hints on using one of these hitch monted tow bars?  I just need something to get my bike around town when I have a breakdown.  Low speed low stress.

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: hitch mounted towing
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 04:52:21 am »
Any hints on using one of these hitch monted tow bars?  I just need something to get my bike around town when I have a breakdown.  Low speed low stress.

Do not know what you are talking about. Do you have a photo?

Offline wardenerd

• Expert
  • '77 550F '81 650C
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 04:54:51 am »
It is a semi circular mount that holds the front tire and plugs into a 2in by 2in hitch point.  It has adjustable height and the rear wheel rolls across the ground while the front whell is held off the ground by the hitch point.

Offline Dream750

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 06:06:38 am »
Any hints on using one of these hitch monted tow bars? 

On the CB750, you risk transmission final drive bearing failure by using the hitch mounted towing method unless the drive chain is removed. This is because the final drive bearing is spinning without any lubrication. It’s a doable towing method, just be aware of the final drive bearing restriction.

Black 750K8

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 07:10:34 am »
If going over a couple of miles maybe five at the most you should take the chain off.

Offline Duanob

• Bold Timer
  • Old Timer
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 01:06:26 pm »
Probably safer and possibly cheaper to go this route:

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=131161.0
"Just because you flush a boatload of money down the toilet, doesn't make the toilet worth more",  My Stepfather the Unknown Poet

1974 CB360T
1976 CB550K2 Resurrected
1976 CB550F2 Barn Find
1979 CX500 VG "HONDA-GUZZI"
2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie
2015 BMW F700GS
Another 1976 CB550K Cafe?

__o
_- \_<,
(*) /' (*)

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 01:25:57 pm »
I have always thought it was strange that none of the big box stores offer motorcycle trailers when so many people need them.
We always have to convert something or make it ourselves.

Offline wowbagger

• Not much of an
  • Expert
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 04:20:46 pm »
I've always just gone the U-Haul route. $15 for 24 hours gets a full motorcycle trailer that you don't then have to store when you aren't using it.

Offline Xnavylfr

• Expert
  • Beers, Babes and bikes since 1965
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 04:34:39 am »
If you just haul a short distance= less than 10 miles, you shouldn't have any problems.  If you remove the chain you could haul it across country but be aware that those miles won't show on the speedo but will wear on your back tire and wheel bearings..
I hauled a RD305 Big Bear in the same manner from Key West to NM AND back!!! in 1970. Found out real quick "DON'T BACK UP" and compress/strap the forks down as tight as possible!!!
I welded together a "U" channel bracket from 2" angle, I drilled a 3/4" hole in the base to attach where trailer ball would be and approx. a 1/2"(17mm) hole on vertical legs, removed front wheel and attached M/C with axle to hitch with axle through 17mm holes.

Xnavylfr(CHUCK)

Offline wardenerd

• Expert
  • '77 550F '81 650C
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 04:59:40 am »
My single car garage is full of parts and motorcycles I do not have room for my Kraut Koffin much less a trailer so I thought this was a good choice for short trips when the damn things break down like my blankety blank 650.   Old bikes can be tempremental.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 05:37:35 am »
Sounds like no one has done it with two wheels,  maybe you can be the guinea pig and report back.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline Xnavylfr

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 07:36:23 am »
If you just haul a short distance= less than 10 miles, you shouldn't have any problems.  If you remove the chain you could haul it across country but be aware that those miles won't show on the speedo but will wear on your back tire and wheel bearings..
I hauled a RD305 Big Bear in the same manner from Key West to NM AND back!!! in 1970. Found out real quick "DON'T BACK UP" and compress/strap the forks down as tight as possible!!!
I welded together a "U" channel bracket from 2" angle, I drilled a 3/4" hole in the base to attach where trailer ball would be and approx. a 1/2"(17mm) hole on vertical legs, removed front wheel and attached M/C with axle to hitch with axle through 17mm holes.

Xnavylfr(CHUCK)

The only difference is I used the axle to mount bike to hitch and not cradle the front tire,   What's the difference????

Offline Mo

• Hot Shot
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 08:57:44 am »
I've always just gone the U-Haul route. $15 for 24 hours gets a full motorcycle trailer that you don't then have to store when you aren't using it.

Rates must be cheap by you. It costs be $40 for 4 hours to rent the damn trailers...

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2013, 09:05:45 am »
Sounds like no one has done it with two wheels,  maybe you can be the guinea pig and report back.

Just curious, what is meant by "with two wheels?"
We'll all be someone else's PO some day.

Offline CoachDoc

• Hot Shot
  • 1974 CB550, 2005 GL1800, 1997 Valkyrie Standard
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2013, 10:14:51 am »
+1 for the U-Haul motorcycle trailer. Here in SoCal where everything is expensive the UHaul mc trailer is indeed just $14.95 per day. Nice little trailer too...... Tows easily and we've pulled it all over the west coast.  Far more economical than buying, and storeage is no longer an issue.

Offline wowbagger

• Not much of an
  • Expert
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2013, 10:33:56 am »
Yeah, the U-Haul motorcycle trailer should be $15 for the day anywhere in the US as long as you pick up and drop off at the same location.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2013, 07:52:03 pm »

Just curious, what is meant by "with two wheels?"

I was thinkng someone posted he did it with a 3 wheeler.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline Xnavylfr

• Expert
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2013, 04:30:48 am »

Xnavylfr(CHUCK)

The only difference is I used the axle to mount bike to hitch and not cradle the front tire,   What's the difference????

I guess nobody has read this!!I towed a MC over 2000 miles(one way) with the front forks attached to a trailer hitch I'd built for the MC. Removed the front wheel and attached the forks to the hitch, as I said before ,short distance ,the chain can stay on but long haul pull the chain and haul it coast to coast!!!