Author Topic: Aluminum fabrication for Dummies  (Read 15842 times)

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
Re: Aluminum fabrication for Dummies
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2015, 02:46:20 am »
I realize that there is an arm that slips into the part tbat moves but I can't figure out how that device works...
Does it do 90 bends or other bends?
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline FunJimmy

• Who you calling
  • Old Timer
  • Vancouver
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2015, 08:15:48 am »
I realize that there is an arm that slips into the part tbat moves but I can't figure out how that device works...
Does it do 90 bends or other bends?

David,

There are two clap downs (stacked) shown in the pic. These are clamped (bolted) across the line to be bent. The main one is the large, flex free rectangle section. The other is a piece of angle with the chamfered leading edge. When these clamp downs are removed from the bender the bed is flat. I have a piece of white plastic on one side of the bed. There is another (not shown) for the exposed side. The plastic acts like soft jaws in a vice and reduces scuffing of the aluminum. Look closely and you'll see a series of bolt holes to fasten the clamp downs. I select the closest bolt holes to minimize flex and ensure a clean, tight bend. That isn't a big deal when bending thinner gauge aluminum, but helps on the heavy stuff. The large clamp down is perfect for all bent from 1°-90°. Anything from 90°-125° requires the angle clamp. I didn't bother making the lever arm used to operate it because I typically only bend aluminum and a couple of crescent wrenches work just fine to operate. What I like most is the compact size. When not in use I hang it on the wall until needed again.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 08:19:32 am by FunJimmy »
You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office!

CB550 Cafe Interceptor a Gentlemans Roadster
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=27159.0

Offline RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2015, 09:09:32 pm »
Thanks FJ!

Offline FunJimmy

• Who you calling
  • Old Timer
  • Vancouver
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2015, 08:54:51 am »
This video was posted in another SOHC thread and I thought it was a great addition to my " Aluminum fabrication for Dummies" thread. Hope you find it valuable.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office!

CB550 Cafe Interceptor a Gentlemans Roadster
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=27159.0

Offline RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2015, 01:29:24 pm »
I was trying to figure out, how does that fit the SOHC/4 until I backed out of the link and looked at it on YouTube and saw it was for a 2.3L Turbo 4 Ford powerplant...

Was that a woodworking router the guy was using? and woodworking bits? Or were they bits designed for metal?
Granted, routers don't really care as long as they don't get metal bits into their motors...or sawdust...
No cutting fluid needed.

Pretty cool, eh?

David

BTW, I have seen a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office. But, there was also a dental clinic there, and massage place/spa, and plumbing business. (wasn't visiting the later, as I knew the owners there...) Knew the psychiatrist and he rode a Triumph (newer model but, he rarely rode)...wasn't his bike either...wasn't my bike.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 01:34:05 pm by RAF122S »