Author Topic: master cylinder C-clip removal  (Read 9466 times)

Offline gto_ron

• Enthusiast
master cylinder C-clip removal
« on: February 26, 2014, 08:22:20 pm »
I've tried everything imaginable to remove the c-clip from a master cylinder I'm rebuilding.  I have the correct tools but they can't reach down into the recess where the c-clip resides.  Is there a trick I don't know about?  I've been stuck on this for a week.  The NC is off a K5 750.

Any tips are appreciated....
Ron

76 CB750K
72 CB350F
64 GTO

why yes, I am old-school, so what? 

These are the good old days.

Offline Ford40

Re: master cylinder C-clip removal
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 05:33:52 am »
You can try pushing the plunger down with your finger and using a small pick to grab the circlip and twist it out.

Offline kerryb

• Not a very
  • Expert
  • 78 750k 74 cb550k, '83GL1100 FXSTC, 1979 Wilmac
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 10:18:25 am »
I got a set of c-clip pliers from Harbor Freight and they were just long enough to reach the circlip when pointing straight in (parallel to the MC centerline) 
intrigued by the wail...seduced by the scream.

Offline Spaceman49

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 08:54:48 am »
HI Fellow's.  I had a serious problem with the c-clip in my master cylinder.  The bike had been in storage for about 25 years and the clip was rusty.  When I put the c-clip pliers on it the ends they both broke off the clip ( Screwed Big Time Bro. ).   After crying, screaming, throwing things I decided to get a Dremel tool with a tiny diamond bit and used it to cut the c-clip.  Yes I went through the clip and into the piston.  But the piston had to be replaced anyway.

I realize this may not help anyone form previous post.  But it may save someone heart burn in the future.  Good Luck

Offline 7T1Burb

Re: master cylinder internal snap ring removal
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 07:25:43 pm »
Having struggled (along with many others) to get that dam* internal snap ring out of the front brake master cylinder, I finally found what appears to be the "real deal tool" for this job.  Purchased from VintageCB.com they are 90 degree LONG reach (2" reach) and labeled "Internal Snap Ring Pliers Long Arm" / Part Number 35-0009 and work great for getting deep down into the front brake master cylinder "sleeve" to grab the ends of that always bothersome internal snap ring.  I've done 4 front brake master cylinders over the past two months and this tool has proved invaluable.  If I recall correctly they cost about $20 and IMO well worth the price.

I'm not associated with nor do I have any interests in VintageCB and pass this along as a tool that has made my front brake master cylinder rebuilds far less painful.

Hope this helps others!   

Offline Twowheeler

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 05:53:06 am »
So I struggled also.  Then I saw the light!   After fumbling for what seemed like all friggin day on a single little c clip I got that booger out.   So put the lever bolt back in and use it for leverage to push plunger down so that your pliers can fit down in there.  I hope this helps a lot of people.  The attached pic should help.