Author Topic: Am I going to ruin something?  (Read 523 times)

Offline Dr. Noisewater

• Hot Shot
Am I going to ruin something?
« on: March 09, 2014, 08:35:33 am »
Hey guys, did some searching but couldn't find anything conclusive.

The bike's a 75 CB550f (069a carbs), factory airbox with Uni foam filter, and Mac headers with open Cone muffler. No backpressure.

I put this bike together over the last year and I've only really ridden it a few times now that it's "complete". I've noticed a good amount of popping on deceleration when riding in about 40-50 degree weather. We had a warm day a couple weeks ago and it ran GREAT in the warm, I don't remember the popping.

Is popping due to a lean condition? Would an open exhaust cause lean or rich? Could I compensate by adjusting the air/fuel screws?

BTW, the carbs were rebuilt and have all stock jets, the plugs are new and properly gapped, and I did a carb sync yesterday. Thanks guys!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 08:55:25 am by Dr. Noisewater »

Offline Dr. Noisewater

• Hot Shot
Re: Am I going to ruin something?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 08:53:39 am »
Did a little more searching and found something about loss of backpressure causing valve slapping - Can anyone expand on that?

Offline FunJimmy

• Who you calling
  • Old Timer
  • Vancouver
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 10:13:49 am »
I can't comment on the valve slapping, cause I've never heard that before, but free flowing mufflers will contribute to a lean burn. As an engine breathes better, more air flows and therefor requires more fuel. Try adjusting the sir screws first.
You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office!

CB550 Cafe Interceptor a Gentlemans Roadster
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=27159.0

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 10:17:05 am »
The popping on decel is most likely caused by the lack of back pressure.  My K4 does it in all temps. 

What do you plugs look like?
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Dr. Noisewater

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 07:38:21 pm »
Thanks guys, I rode it a little more today and it seems the carb sync actually cured the popping on deceleration. So it seems to be running fine as is, I guess I'm just scared to put a hole in my piston after spending a year putting the bike together.