Author Topic: Alloy rims... Yes? No? Maybe?  (Read 15984 times)

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: Alloy rims... Yes? No? Maybe?
« Reply #75 on: July 17, 2014, 07:04:04 am »
I'm selling a brand new 18" aluminum rear.
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #76 on: July 17, 2014, 08:20:46 am »
Excel or Sun rims seem to be the most popular aluminum rims. They can be ordered from Buchanans directly with spokes, or thru Cognitomoto.com. I'd discourage you from 18-18 as this will effect the handling of the bike. 18-17 or 19-18/19-17. If you think in the future you may truly want a GSXR front end, or modern equivalent, those are often best suited to 17-17. So bear that in mind. There are builds where members use modern front ends with 18-17, but don't recall a lot who go 18-18.

For a 550 rear, you can fit a 130 comfortably and squeeze a 140 in sometimes, depending upon swing arm. Generally speaking, a 140 or better rear wants an offset sprocket to move the chain outboard to clear the leading edge of the tire from the chain.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 10:57:53 am by calj737 »
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline DavePhipps

• Expert
  • Reading the entire Hi-Perf forum
    • Hillside Technology
« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2014, 09:30:31 am »
I  believe if you search through the HiPo section you will find that most racing applications use the 18,18 combo, but then you need to modify the triple or fork length to get the geometry correct. If you want a bike that handle like stock then go stock sizes.
Bikes:
90 FZR600 RA
74 CB550k
78 GL1000
72 CB500K

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2014, 01:12:53 pm »
The rear rim on the K3 has had a flat spot since I bought it.
Plus it looks ratty - the PO gnarfed it good with tire irons.

So, I've been thinking about replacing it w/ an aluminum rim (because alu is lighter).
I assume aluminum isn't as strong as steel - but my rim is at least 41 years old so maybe modern alloys are better?
I know guys here build wheels with alloy rims but I can't find any discussion of the pros/cons
Any advice?

The CB750A had high quality aluminum rims.
Each wheel will be 6lbs. lighter.

The older rims would be the ones I would prefer.

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2014, 03:50:27 pm »
Each wheel will be 6lbs. lighter.
The weight difference between stock steel rims and aluminum is not 6#. Someone is smoking crack. And a cheap brand of it from the looks... The stock rims don't even weigh 6#. All the weight is in the hub, and that's not changing.  :o

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Vinhead1957

• Expert
« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2014, 04:29:31 pm »
Crack is wack

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2014, 04:32:17 pm »
I will put my rim on a scale... weight report coming
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2014, 04:33:58 pm »
I will put my rim on a scale... weight report coming
My guess: steel = 5lbs. Aluminum = 3.5

Let us know.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2014, 04:47:11 pm »
I believe where "he" goes off the rails is: an equally heavy alloy rim can be much larger and still weigh the equivalent of the stock rim.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2014, 01:37:58 am »
I  believe if you search through the HiPo section you will find that most racing applications use the 18,18 combo, but then you need to modify the triple or fork length to get the geometry correct. If you want a bike that handle like stock then go stock sizes.

Yep, here's a pic of my gold K2 which was built by Ken Piper, an old race bike builder and mechanical engineering lecturer at the Australian Defence Force Academy. It's fitted with 18 inch wheels front and rear, and was (I sold it a couple of years ago) the best handling CB750 I've ever ridden. (and I've ridden a lot)

Back in the day, the accepted wisdom was that same size rims were the best option for racing, but that might have just been to "quicken" the steering, I really don't remember.

There are lots of really good 17 inch wheels out there, and because of their availability they're really cheap too, but there's a problem with using them. Our engines are really wide compared to modern engines (BMW's new 6 cylinder engine is narrower than a CB750 engine) and by lowering our bikes with 17 inch wheels (and modern forks) it reduces the ground clearance and lean angles significantly.

That's handy if you're building a minimalist custom "bar crawler", as you won't need a sidestand, you can just lean it on your alternator cover, but not so good if you wanna go around corners. Cheers, Terry. ;D       

I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2014, 03:39:09 pm »
^^^^^  thats almost the perfect 750 Honda, you should have kept that one....
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #86 on: July 18, 2014, 04:53:51 pm »
It's fitted with 18 inch wheels front and rear, and was... the best handling CB750 I've ever ridden.

Anything in particular to the suspension front and rear that you attribute that to? Certainly 18/18 wasn't the only change, but I'd be curious as to what other changes made that such a drastic improvement.

I agree with Retro, really stunning looker! I hope you replaced it with an "upgrade"!

Offline Old Moe Toe

• Hot Shot
« Reply #87 on: July 18, 2014, 07:18:30 pm »

There are lots of really good 17 inch wheels out there, and because of their availability they're really cheap too, but there's a problem with using them. Our engines are really wide compared to modern engines (BMW's new 6 cylinder engine is narrower than a CB750 engine) and by lowering our bikes with 17 inch wheels (and modern forks) it reduces the ground clearance and lean angles significantly.

That's handy if you're building a minimalist custom "bar crawler", as you won't need a sidestand, you can just lean it on your alternator cover, but not so good if you wanna go around corners. Cheers, Terry. ;D       End quote

I put a 17 inch wheel from a K7 onto the back of my K2 and really like it. I much prefer the 130 wide tire, also because of the differing wall section of the tire compared to the standard one the overall outside diameter was pretty well exactly the same. Only modification was cutting a section out of the chainguard so the tire did not rub.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 07:20:50 pm by Old Moe Toe »

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #88 on: July 18, 2014, 09:13:00 pm »
^^^^^  thats almost the perfect 750 Honda, you should have kept that one....

Thanks Mick, I loved it, but even with the 836cc engine, it didn't have the "oomph" that my old K1 with Mike Reick's head, big cam and other mods has got, and I can always upgrade the suspension and brakes on mine.

Now that my cuz has bought a huge Bridgeport mill, I might have to give it a test fire and make myself a set of billet triples for the 41mm FZR1000 forks I've got here, like the ones that Ken built for the gold bike. Cheers, Terry. ;D   
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)