Author Topic: Another gauge face refurbishment thread K0 series  (Read 4472 times)

Offline toycollector10

• Expert
Another gauge face refurbishment thread K0 series
« on: May 21, 2014, 05:38:30 pm »
Bob Wessner has a good post on this topic but most of his pictures have gone. So here is my effort with pictures and random comments:

• I'm only going to make general observations about the replacement faces. I bought them off eBay at a reasonable price.  Please draw your own conclusions. They are not Yamiya750 parts.

• Here I am ready to go. I didn't need the hair dryer as it didn't soften the hard brittle plastic holding the
   gauge together.

• You will also need fine flat brush to paint the cut outs, a fine tip to do the needles. Humbrol Satin Black
   modelers paint and also any brand of Flourescent Red paint but it must have the code number FS28915
   (as per Bob Wessner and also the Sandcastonly website). UHU glue is good to set the jewels. Masking tape
   is for the needle tips.

• Lucky old me, early series cast housings. Off my bike frame CB750-1012300. It was a shame to butcher
   them to get them open.

• This is the ugly result of breaking the cases open. It will be hidden beneath the rubber holders and chrome
   backs. The only method as far as I know is to get a screwdriver in behind the plastic and lever it up.

• The clear plastic faces polished up really well using Brasso Metal Polish. Any metal polish would do, I think. It's fine enough so as to not scratch. The one or two deeper scratches weren't fixed using this method.

• Here is a BEFORE picture of the tacho dial. Note that the cut outs aren't painted (left). Note that the thickness of the gauge is larger than the Honda OEM gauge plate (right). Overall, the thickness doesn't show once everything is  put together.

• Here's the AFTER picture with the painted the cut outs. Note the square edges to the cut outs in the
   reproduction faces as compared to OEM and also to the Yamiya750 ones that have a tiny radius in the
   corners.

• This picture is of Yamiya750 reproduction faces. Note the rounded cut outs as per OEM.

• The two pictures above are of the end result.

If you are going to do this job have a look at Bob's thread too. There are a number of things not quite right with these replacement dials but I think it would be very, very churlish to criticize them. Making these parts isn't something you could easily do yourself and we are very lucky in the world of old CB's that there are so many reproduction parts available for us. No one's going to front me up over my "non radius-ed speedo cut outs ©". I've not wound back the odometer as I'm kind of proud that this old bus hasn't been opened up yet and she's still running very well with the original pistons and bearings etc. And it gets it's neck wrung at least once every time I ride her.

1969  CB 750 K0
1973  CB175
1973  Z1 Kawasaki

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
Re: Another gauge face refurbishment thread K0 series
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 09:06:05 pm »
Nice job, Toy! Thanks for the tips. I have a set of K0 gauges that need this sort of love, too.

I understand completely about the non-rollback: I kinda wish mine wasn't. It's about to roll over by itself, though. :)
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 12:28:31 pm »
Is there any chance of reposting a couple of the important pics?
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
If you love it, set it free, if it stays it's probably one of my 750's.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 04:08:16 pm »
 I believe you can cut a replacement K0 plastic gauge housing behind the flange and use a crimp ring to crimp it to a K1 gauge body. It could make a rather inexpensive K0 look alike gauge. You could even buy the K0 faces for the correct redline. I did it with set wrecked gauges but not to completion.
  My question is needle to inside of lens clearance. It appears to be close but I cut a little of the flange off the plastic also. I can post a pic when my phone downloads to google.