Author Topic: 1977 Cb 550 k3 project  (Read 1004 times)

Offline Kudu

1977 Cb 550 k3 project
« on: June 15, 2015, 11:40:15 am »
Hi guys I am new to the seen
Let Me start out by saying I find the forum very interesting and helpful as well as
A bit concerning when coming to fault finding cause no matter what you look for
It is always the worst outcome that comes to light first ,
A year or so ago I bought a 1977 CB 550 k3  as a non runner ad all looked in good Nick
Engine was turning over by hand and almost everything was there . I did find a couple of thing wrong and missing as I started cleaning eg. No stator coil  rectifiers red wire was broken carbs was all dirty and seized up resistor caps on two of the cylinders was blown and now my latest find while changing the points plate is that the advance timing unit does not have the two pins that has to got into the big nut on the plate side( hope that sounds clear enough)   .I have so far got a new battery in cleaned the carb changed the brass ,well actually I stripped the whole bike, done all wheel bearing ,powder coated ,new bt 45 tyres on rims ,probably should have started it first but I was so confident it will start up first time ,am this far and have put it all together again and tried to start it a week ago so it looks like a firing /timing problem might be the atu any inputs will be greatly appreciated .It is also my first time doing this type of project only me the forum and a Hayes manual

Offline Kudu

Re: 1977 Cb 550 k3 project
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 11:49:05 am »
Everything on the bike is stock
plugs are  dr7es with resistor caps
New points plate
Motad 4 into1
Stock coils
Bike cranks and was spark on every plug
And fuel got to the plugs
And using stock air filter