Author Topic: 1981 SCTA rule book  (Read 2076 times)

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
1981 SCTA rule book
« on: November 27, 2014, 06:33:42 pm »
I ran across this while looking for something else... In 1980, I had aspirations to go to the salt, until I got the rule book and checked the standing records. :o Check out the record holder for the 1000cc S-AF class. 8)
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
Re: 1981 SCTA rule book
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 06:46:26 pm »
Very Cool.... 8)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 11:22:01 pm »
Scott, the only remarkable thing about that record was the age of the bike, 47 years old and the rider, 68 years old.
Any youngsters coming into the sport who hadn't read the book or seen the film, wouldn't give it a second glance.
In some ways it WAS remarkable BUT when you look at the speeds listed for the same class in the 500cc category and if you were to see the speeds recorded in the lower capacity classes, would it still be that remarkable?
Over the years, I've know many World and National record holders in many different classes, one that springs to mind set 8 National records and set the last one at the same age as Burt, but without a book or film, he'll just be another statistic, and that's all that they are, STATISTICS, some people even rate them lower as just, bragging rites down at the PUB.  ;D ;D ;D

Sam. ;)

C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 08:44:35 am »
Very neat observation. Someday you need to visit the Salt Flats to FEEL the atmosphere of the event ;)

SAM........I have to DISAGREE to some extent about certain records!

While they are all meant to be broken.........and eventually will be broken..........the pioneers that led the way are all documented and remembered by those that respect their efforts.  The long-standing records achieve the highest level of respect. When those records are eventually broken, the new record holder is then remembered (even announced at shows etc.) by the so & so who broke so & so's record ;) 

The audience for the love of motorcycles is small when compared to most other forms of sport competition. But within that world, and for all future spectators and participants, the first to accomplish a certain standard, and the longest-standing record-holders, tend to gain the highest levels of respect and admiration.

Burt's record has been challenged by more than one aspiring rider..........and is now in pursuit by a British team with a new build! If they are successful, I doubt that a book or movie will be made.  There is discussion about reclassifying the Monro record to preserve his name in the BOOK. 

I AGREE with you that the greatest majority of records and record holders are overlooked and remain almost unknown. And yet, when anyone in the general public is made aware of a singular person's accomplishment, a certain level of respect for the person is elevated.

So...........with all due respect...........SIR SAM should not so humbly regard his self-respect without knowing the honor of his admirerers :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) 

Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 09:53:04 am »
Dennis, In no way was I decrying any of the actual records or people, all well deserved, just like your own for taking the initiative, getting off your/their butt and having a go.
What I was trying to say, of all the records posted by Scott, only a few names jumped out and hit me and one of them wasn't Burt Munro.
Unless someone does something really spectacular like Hertz did in the smaller classes, no one gets to know about them.
I'm not saying that Burt's record wasn't an outstanding achievement, IT WAS but like all the other people in the smaller and various other bigger classes, I didn't know who he was until the film came out and the book was published.
I wonder how many people will know us or remember us in 30 odd years time  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) I've got my book and film, have you got yours. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I'm done for now but I wish you luck, safe riding and many more years chasing your dreams on the salt.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 10:45:12 am »
Thanks, Sam :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

No books or movies here ;)  I'm still getting past the easy smile on my face when I hear a recording of the track announcer saying my name and listing my sponsors ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I was somewhat surprised by the number of remarks I fielded this past year about wanting to see the TRIUMPH CUB make another run :) :) :)
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 01:01:58 pm »
And people think you can't have fun on little bikes and Electric bikes.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 04:49:37 pm »
The only name I recognized back then was Don Vesco. ;) Hertz and Muller ran some very fast speeds on little bikes in '56!! ;D
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 05:57:21 pm »
Vesco was listed in every class except 1000cc
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2014, 06:07:06 pm »
The rule book also listed the El Mirage records. El Mirage was in Vesco's home turf, so to speak.

Offline NalleyRacing

• Hot Shot
  • 1972 Cb750K dragbike Instagram: Drag_racer736
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2014, 07:06:29 pm »
 Don Vesco and his records will always hold a special place with me. I have a few of his parts,pictures,and stories from Kevin Draper. Him and Don worked very close for a number of years and most of Vescos records still hold up today.

He had a remarkable drive and ability to see it through to the end. It pleasures me to see Rick still out there carrying it on just like his brother would.. ;)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 11:20:48 pm by TreyAllen »

Offline saltcitycafe

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2014, 10:26:10 pm »
Having gone to speekweek probably 25 of my 35 years I guess I am a veteran observer? Lol But as formthe comments that it must be experienced to be understood you are 100% on the money. Its like no other kind of racing.