Author Topic: pulled out a plug to check it and started some problems, lost alot of power  (Read 2160 times)

81cb650

my bike ran fine before I did this...So i pulled out a plug to check my air fuel ratio, it was black, so I put it back in. normal stuff right?  When I went to drive the bike it felt like it was running on 3 cylinders... So I took the plug back out, checked the spark on the exhaust, it was looking rather weak, So I parked it and started checking around here to see what it might be . When  I went to start the bike this morning, it was dead. So I charged the battery and now it starts. But my bike still runs like #$%*, it feels like it has no power, the spark looks a little better, but it just feels like its wimpy now and it kinda sputters and makes weird noises on acceleration. just seems rather lacking. any Ideas? all i did was check the plug, it ran fine before I did that. Could a forign object have fallen in the chamber? would this explain my problem? and what could i do about that? thats my only guess as to what could have happened

Offline DJ_AX

• Expert
  • ?!
The cap may have come loose from the plug wire. I'd check that first.
~ Vincent . . . '75 CB750 K5 . . . '97 BMW r1100rt . . . had; '75 CB550 K1 (sold) . . .  '73 CB350G (gifted) HELL YEAH!
Disclaimer: I could be wrong. :)

Offline WarwickE36

• Expert
+1 to DJ AX ... Cut of a section of wire and twist that cap back in place, making sure you get contact with the wire not just the insulation.
" Why does anyone get offended by what someone does to their own bike? I dont get it. "

You made me think about it after I cheered knowing someone else would like to know what these control freaks are up to.
 Every time any owner strips whatever precious Honda part the horrified purists parts go up in value. That's not the part that bothers them.
 What bothers them is they sat up late at night, their breast full of wonder and estrogen, unable to sleep, dreaming about their lovely darling and all her glory... and next thing you know someone else doesn't share their emotional deluge and their reaction is they must spread their mind museum as far as they possibly can, taking over as much of the real world as possible.

Drink fast, drive slow, but ride it like you stole it

1974 Cb550 with style
2004 SV650s

Offline Spanner 1

• Old Timer
  • CB 750 K0 ( always thought it was a K1!) + CB750K8
1, Start bike
2.. Ride around the block.
3. Touch each exhaust header pipe ( caution hot ) when you get back .
4. Put a brand new plug in the cylinder(s) that is/are cold.
5. Fixed.... ( at least, should be the problem, more than most likely  ;D ).
If your sure it's a carb problem; it's ignition,
If your sure it's an ignition problem; it's carbs....

81cb650

I did do a plug chop before I took the plug out, and they are very black, Is it possible that they are just fouled? Ive never fouled plugs before, so im wondering if plugs fouled with carbon make a bike run rough and lack power?

Offline Spanner 1

• Old Timer
  • CB 750 K0 ( always thought it was a K1!) + CB750K8
Thought it was running fine before you took this 1 plug out ??..... I dunno......

First thing would be to touch each exhaust header and compare heat...
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 10:44:50 pm by Spanner 1 »
If your sure it's a carb problem; it's ignition,
If your sure it's an ignition problem; it's carbs....

81cb650

all the headers are hot at this point. it seems like this thing changes daily tho. It was definitely running fine before I took the plug out, But I wanted to try and do a plug chop to see what my plugs look like, And Im thinking that they may have gotten fouled from doing the chop, or it atleast took them over the edge. its the only thing I did different than normal ya know? at any rate, im going to try and get new plugs tomorrow and give that a go hopfully the dealer has them

Online dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
do they look like this?try new plugs,how is the air filter.

Offline WarwickE36

• Expert
How much for the glasses in the background?
" Why does anyone get offended by what someone does to their own bike? I dont get it. "

You made me think about it after I cheered knowing someone else would like to know what these control freaks are up to.
 Every time any owner strips whatever precious Honda part the horrified purists parts go up in value. That's not the part that bothers them.
 What bothers them is they sat up late at night, their breast full of wonder and estrogen, unable to sleep, dreaming about their lovely darling and all her glory... and next thing you know someone else doesn't share their emotional deluge and their reaction is they must spread their mind museum as far as they possibly can, taking over as much of the real world as possible.

Drink fast, drive slow, but ride it like you stole it

1974 Cb550 with style
2004 SV650s

Offline DJ_AX

• Expert
  • ?!
also ..
It is possible that when you put the spark plug back in, you at first missed the hole and then the tip of the plug got gunked up with the oily dirty muck around the hole thus rendering the spark plug ineffective.

It happens  ::)
I know.
~ Vincent . . . '75 CB750 K5 . . . '97 BMW r1100rt . . . had; '75 CB550 K1 (sold) . . .  '73 CB350G (gifted) HELL YEAH!
Disclaimer: I could be wrong. :)

81cb650

So i got my new plugs today, and wow, the bike runs like new, i had no Idea that fouled spark plugs could make your bike run like ass... thanks for all the help everyone

Online dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
How much for the glasses in the background?

those glasses were the only five dollar pair i could find at the local five and dime store in that magnification,ive already stepped on them and busted one arm off them,so you can have them for $2.87c,i think they make me look groovy,my wife has a different opinion.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 01:13:14 pm by dave500 »