Author Topic: RC rods questions  (Read 8178 times)

Offline gschuld

• Master
Re: RC rods questions
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2015, 07:18:40 pm »

You get no points for running 40 year old hi po parts as a tribute to the Masters.

WTF, really?  Oh man, I need to rethink things.  I thought I was just starting to rack up a decent score :(

I was hoping that my insistence on rescuing some rare vintage race parts from the grave would give me some sort of legend status.  Man I screwed up...  :o      ;D ;D8)

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2015, 07:31:18 pm »
You will if you win....
We got to run what we can afford...
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2015, 07:41:17 pm »
Funny thing is that at times I willingly spend more(in time and/or money) to save and run the obsolete (and yes, inferior) vintage stuff than the cost of high end modern equilvelant parts.  I'm just wired wrong, Mike will tell ya ;)  He's had to put up with me...

George

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2015, 08:03:22 pm »
On a personal note, if someone offers me the old parts at a realistic price, I'm all over it to save a few bucks. Lol. I'm only bracket racing though. Dial and go.

Offline RP

• Enthusiast
    • Restoration Paint
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2015, 08:49:13 pm »
George,

New owner is A-OK with Carrillo's, he has learned the Goldenrods were not all they were cracked up to be, and steel rods are better for a turbo application.

Except in serious drag race turbo applications. Eraldo Ferracci was adamant about that.  8)
Just sayin...  ::)
In the 21st century a 70's SOHC would not be considered a SERIOUS drag race turbo motor.  What kind of rods are they running in the 200 mph Pro Street Busa's these days?   Just asking. .....
Ralph
www.paintworkz.com
78 Z1R TC
84 Ninja 900
CBX Pro Stockers
CB750 Funnybike
77 KZ1000 tubo

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2015, 10:08:24 pm »
You will if you win....
We got to run what we can afford...

Thats the key Frank. I'm a poor boy, so Carillo's in an SOHC  for bracket racing are a little beyond my budget. I suppose thats why i'm attempting to put together this cross-bred engine with used parts. I've got more time than money, so it allows the mind to go off on tangents. Using these cheap junk parts to build an engine might just give me the same results, a pile of  blown up, junk parts. Since i do all my own work and do regular tear downs, i suppose i can get away (sometimes) with using less than perfect parts for an extended period of time. Maintenance is the key to longevity(automotive or human).

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2015, 10:19:13 pm »
Frankie,

I think about anyone would be envious of your record of race engine reliability.  The fact that you have been it with factory rods upgraded by RC 40 years ago and using heavy 40 yr old MTC pistons make the achievement even more impressive.  You get the all time sohc racing back for the buck award for sure.  Either you are doing something really right or you're the luckiest guy on the planet ;D

George

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2015, 06:42:48 am »
I'd lean towards being lucky. It's just a matter of time when stress will overcome. You'll get a chance to see a grown man cry on live streaming.

Offline NalleyRacing

• Hot Shot
  • 1972 Cb750K dragbike Instagram: Drag_racer736
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2015, 07:05:21 am »
" Head in the past"" !! Hahaha. To an extent, everyone on these old bike forums has their " has their head in the past". Mike's point of view is realistic. Those RC parts are old technology. Great back in the day when we had limited choices on hi po parts. Time has moved forward and exposed the weaknesses in the things we once worshipped. Unlike old classic cars that increase in value and escape the junk pile, those old parts are better off on a shelf instead of in a motor. We have more advanced selections now in every internal part. Moreover, no one knows what rod,crank or piston is in an engine once its buttoned up. They only see the results as it propels the motorcycle down the street, road course or drag strip. You get no points for running 40 year old hi po parts as a tribute to the Masters. We do get caught up in nostalgia unfortunately and our resident head guru respectfully reminds us from time to time that nostalgia does not build a reliable engine. If he didn't remind us, eventually your sacrifice to the gods of blown engines will.

Well put Frankie..

Offline NitroHunter

• Radical Street / Strip Turbo
  • Hot Shot
  • A man's motorcycle is a reflection of the man
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2015, 12:07:03 pm »

Carrillo's are stronger, lighter, the big ends don't oval and they can be sent to the factory to be reconditioned.  :o ;D ;D ;D ;D
[/quote]

So what's your point?   ;) ;D ;D ;D
Robbie the NitroHunter                      Fuel Coupe Hired Gun                  NHRA T/F 640

DRAGBIKE USA XH/MB Recordholder: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=127179.0;attach=332735
DRAGBIKE USA XH/SS Recordholder: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=63940.0;attach=103300
Young mans glory days in the lanes: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=45685.0;attach=66341

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2015, 12:13:04 pm »
Robby , tell us again how fast you went on stock rods and pistons.  :o
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2015, 12:31:03 pm »

Inquiring minds want to know!!!

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2015, 12:54:17 pm »

Carrillo's are stronger, lighter, the big ends don't oval and they can be sent to the factory to be reconditioned.  :o ;D ;D ;D ;D

So what's your point?   ;) ;D ;D ;D
[/quote]
  I can't remember ;D ;D ;D
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline NitroHunter

• Hot Shot
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2015, 05:58:48 pm »

OK Frank if you insist.  ::)
Short answer: 10.00 @ 143mph at the Dragbike! USA Northwest Nationals in Spokane, WA. STOCK RODS-PISTONS-PINS-CRANK 736cc
It ran at most a dozen passes at this level, then the head came off for XH/MB (SOHC Modified Boost) record certification. Good thing, that time bomb was about 1 burnout from dropping valves by pulling through those aluminum (!) retainers.
On disassembly the rods still spun smoothly. The pistons looked nice and the pins didn't feel like they were binding (bent).
That motor ran a hundred low 11's, 115-120mph laps prior to putting that 30+psi spring in the wastegate.
6.9:1 CR, special batch ERC 118 fuel, Holley red fuel pump, 25 degrees timing.
A motor built from a pile of dead old stuff gave me almost two years of unreasonably reliable fun.
But I really wanted that 9.99  :'(
Robbie the NitroHunter                      Fuel Coupe Hired Gun                  NHRA T/F 640

DRAGBIKE USA XH/MB Recordholder: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=127179.0;attach=332735
DRAGBIKE USA XH/SS Recordholder: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=63940.0;attach=103300
Young mans glory days in the lanes: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=45685.0;attach=66341

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2015, 07:17:40 pm »
That is #$%*ing cool...few realize how much these motors will endure
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2015, 08:20:32 pm »
Wow, turbocharged, stock bore, cast pistons and factory crank. How many pounds of boost?? I assume this was a wheelie bar bike?? I sometimes wonder how quick my bike would be when properly set up with a wheelie bar , small slick and a lockup clutch. Nothing beats a full throttle launch off the two step, riding the bars into 2nd gear.

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2015, 08:39:10 pm »

OK Frank if you insist.  ::)
Short answer: 10.00 @ 143mph at the Dragbike! USA Northwest Nationals in Spokane, WA. STOCK RODS-PISTONS-PINS-CRANK 736cc
It ran at most a dozen passes at this level, then the head came off for XH/MB (SOHC Modified Boost) record certification. Good thing, that time bomb was about 1 burnout from dropping valves by pulling through those aluminum (!) retainers.
On disassembly the rods still spun smoothly. The pistons looked nice and the pins didn't feel like they were binding (bent).
That motor ran a hundred low 11's, 115-120mph laps prior to putting that 30+psi spring in the wastegate.
6.9:1 CR, special batch ERC 118 fuel, Holley red fuel pump, 25 degrees timing.
A motor built from a pile of dead old stuff gave me almost two years of unreasonably reliable fun.
But I really wanted that 9.99  :'(
I believe the correct term is "grenade". Just messing with you brother. ;D ;D
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline NitroHunter

• Hot Shot
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2015, 07:47:55 am »

I believe the correct term is "grenade". Just messing with you brother. ;D ;D
If my SOHC brothers weren't messin with me I'd think you didn't love me anymore.  ;D ;D ;D

I'm sure ANY detonation would have twisted up those stock rods like a pretzel.  :o

The E model turbo was way oversized for this application, a B-25 would have been a much better choice. Turbo lag was such that you got no boost until the tail end of second gear - then it would spin the tire in 3rd. It was a weird but cool feeling doing a little fishtail.
How much boost did it make? I don't know - the gauge only went to 30psi.  ::)
I'd shimmed up the barrels with 5 base gaskets to get the pistons down in the hole to lower the Cr. Ground down F2 dowels and tall O rings for the oil supply holes. I cc'd this thing out to arrive at that 6.9:1 CR. It had no cylinder pressure so no torque, had to wind the piss out of it to leave the starting line decently. How high did I rev it at the hit? I don't know - the tach didn't have numbers in that area.  ::)
World class fuel and reasonable ignition timing in that Sprint Mag made that weekend possible. Beating the intake charge into a heated frenzy with that much boost wasn't the smartest thing.

Sorry, this thread is about rods.
FYI To clear up an earlier post, my conversation with Ferracci was long, long ago. He'd switched to Golden Rods from those heavy steel units, and claims he'd picked up almost 10 mph on his single injector/turbo Funnybike. It was bad-assed for the day. He felt the elasticity of the aluminum was the key to making his tune up run the big numbers. We never discussed Carrillo rods specifically, but I believe they were available then.

Offline BPellerine

• Master
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2015, 10:51:45 am »
is that the bike in your sig nitro?cool bike billp
1978 CB 750K ard and webers
another anfob

Offline RP

• Enthusiast
    • Restoration Paint
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2015, 11:38:15 am »
Nitro, that is a bad ass looking bike in your sig.....it must be the worlds quickest and fastest 1/4 mile "stock piston" CB!
Ralph
www.paintworkz.com
78 Z1R TC
84 Ninja 900
CBX Pro Stockers
CB750 Funnybike
77 KZ1000 tubo

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2015, 12:35:07 pm »
Ahh, so it was  a bar bike. Imagine what et it would have run if you could have left on boost right off the hit.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2015, 01:19:44 pm »
I cant see it ..is it the F model with Mitchell wheels ?
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline BPellerine

• Master
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2015, 03:37:13 pm »
yes Frank,f model,solid?wheels,mr turbo,and vertex.billp
1978 CB 750K ard and webers
another anfob

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2015, 05:28:01 pm »
I met Robby at the drags in Kent Washington at the fall finals, late 80,s I think.
He had the F with blue anodized wheels, and turbo, but at that time not sorted and running quick..
Since then he had been up here at our local track with his dragster buddies..

In light of his accomplishment using mostly stock components, and taking them ....probably further than anyone on this planet...he has cult status.....at least in my view...

At one time he described opening it up on a Seattle freeway.. That must have been ..very exciting to put it mildly..he actually rode the beast on the street ..as well as racing it..
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2015, 05:44:42 pm »
Here's the pic, Frank:
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....