Author Topic: Bonneville Trophy or Prize..  (Read 1272 times)

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
Bonneville Trophy or Prize..
« on: August 29, 2016, 09:44:50 pm »
 In 2009  i went to Bonneville for my second or third time..
 And I met a few forum members, one stands out in particular..  Dennis from Wisconsin...aka..Old Scrambler
We spent quite some time together, he was very keen on the whole deal. I introduced him to a few of the racers I knew , and he got to talk to them about what it takes, and what to do and what not to do.. And a few of those guys set records while he was there...and he was in the pits watching and listening, and lending a hand
 To make a long story short, by the end of it, I pretty well knew he was hooked, or at least it sure looked like it.. The next few years would be the test..
 I hung out with Dennis and his friends quite a bit that week, after that I rode with him and a few buddies ..3 CB750,s to the Bonneville Grand Prix..... Had a great day there, and some very cool conversations with Dennis about building parts for bikes. Got to see the entries rolling into the show the next morning, then I had to leave early

And he built a Bonneville bike he learned the ropes, got his first record and maybe more...and learned what to do and not to do ..before he took up the challenge using an sohc Honda..
 So everything was falling in place..
 But going to Bonneville is fairly cheap.... But not as a racer.. The entry is like 5-700.00 per bike I believe, not to mentioning building the bike, getting there, trailers expenses , paying part of the way, for some of the help.
 So I was saying... Think about this ... Anyone interested in putting a bit of a pot together for Dennis... For what he is doing for the SOHC 4 Community ..?
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Bonneville Trophy or Prize..
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 09:46:40 pm »
 I will offer this.. Next frame kit I sell 1/2 of the price will go to Old Scrambler....
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
Re: Bonneville Trophy or Prize..
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 08:27:17 am »
Frank..............I just saw this post today............THANK YOU for the sentiment and the offer ;)

Yes, its expensive ::).........for my meager means ;D  I saved a few bucks on discounted parts from CYCLE-X and REBEL GEAR and you 8).  Some of the other suppliers I was just happy that they had the parts and had fast shipping ;D.

To date I am approaching $12k for the CBR-build and about $1600 in entry fees. Travel expenses are about $2000 for each trip. Dave Murre pays for some of the hotel and food costs on the return trip. My riding gear was rather cheap (borrowed leathers for the 1st-year) but will need a new helmet for the next trip........they must have a current SNELL date.

I will be travelling to Alaska this year (maybe will stop to see you) and plan to return to Bonneville in 2018 with improved aero (tail-section) that Dave will hammer out of alloy.

There are a few sponsored prizes offered to 'fastest bike' of a certain brand or model. Anyone is welcome to put up a prize or put me in contact with a potential sponsor. My new aluminum trailer has a lot of billboard space ;) ;) ;) ;)

Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan