Author Topic: 1973 CB750 Four K3 -- Project "Terry's Fault" -- BUILD RESUMED  (Read 59347 times)

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
Re: 1973 CB750 Four K3 -- Project "Terry's Fault" -- BUILD RESUMED
« Reply #450 on: September 26, 2016, 06:00:14 am »
HOt stuff!
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"
Delkevic Stainless 4-1 Header, Cone Engineering 18" Quiet Core Reverse Cone, K&N Filter in Drilled Airbox
K5 Crankcase/Frame, K4 Head and Cylinders, K1 Carbs (42;120;1 Turn)

She's a mix-matched (former) basket case, but she's mine.

CB750 Shop Manual (all years), searchable text PDF
Calculating the correct input circumference for digital speedometers connected to the original speedometer drive

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
  • Do not cause harm, nor respond to harm with harm.
« Reply #451 on: September 26, 2016, 01:09:05 pm »
Thanks guys, lets hope it runs as good as it looks ;D

So what could be causing a binding spot on the speedo drive? I only notice it when the axle is torqued down. Its not the bearings, they are seated flush with the spacer correctly lined up. I can feel it on the speedo drive in one spot when I turn it by hand. There's tons of grease in there so its not lube, what to check next? It would suck to have to undo the whole thing, I bent those new retainers in place with all new chrome hardware >:(

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #452 on: August 25, 2017, 01:30:40 am »
Hey Rafi, did you ever get this one finished? Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #453 on: August 25, 2017, 08:34:25 am »
Hey Rafi, did you ever get this one finished? Cheers, Terry. ;D

No, not yet unfortunately. 2017 has sucked so far and given me every excuse to procrastinate assembly. I sorted out the grind in the front wheel, it was a warped speedo drive, replaced that and its golden. It literally is like a weeks worth of work left to put it back together but life keep getting in the way. Where is Cal? I need him to "drill sergeant" me on this one like he did with the K2 :P :P :P

Offline MauiK3

• A K3 is saved
  • Old Timer
  • Old guy
« Reply #454 on: August 25, 2017, 03:44:00 pm »
Please excuse my stupid question.
I'm not this far yet with my K3. What exactly was the problem with the shifter? I'd like to avoid the same issue. Still waiting on paint for the case, getting stuff like that here on Maui happens at ocean barge speed.
Also, I'm having trouble finding the 5.6mm crows foot for my Tusk spoke torque wrench. I bought the kit and it does not come with it. I should have read the fine print more closely. Vendor is trying to help.
1973 CB 750 K3
10/72 build Z1 Kawasaki

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #455 on: August 25, 2017, 10:49:16 pm »
Please excuse my stupid question.
I'm not this far yet with my K3. What exactly was the problem with the shifter? I'd like to avoid the same issue. Still waiting on paint for the case, getting stuff like that here on Maui happens at ocean barge speed.
Also, I'm having trouble finding the 5.6mm crows foot for my Tusk spoke torque wrench. I bought the kit and it does not come with it. I should have read the fine print more closely. Vendor is trying to help.
I had the installed the shift fork rod the wrong way, the end with a small cavity/hole goes on the outside. I would recommend you DO NOT start engine assembly without Mark/Hondaman's book. It goes through many "gotchas" like this one. Fortunately for me, I was able to remedy this without needing to tear open the cases again, thanks to some folks on this forum.

Offline MauiK3

• A K3 is saved
  • Old Timer
  • Old guy
« Reply #456 on: August 26, 2017, 08:51:13 am »
Thank you, I have his book right on the work bench. I see now what happened, I just had not gotten to that yet. I just heard that Marcel finished my gauges, it will be exciting to see them after they arrive.
Steve
1973 CB 750 K3
10/72 build Z1 Kawasaki