Author Topic: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?  (Read 32132 times)

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
Re: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #900 on: June 17, 2020, 06:49:35 am »
Replaced the upper and lower weatherseals on the firebird...adjusting the window tilt/pitch fitment was a pure PITA.  I have a feeling the tracks are warped after 47 years :)

The interior isn’t original after looking at the documents provided...so we are going to do a slow conversion to black.

New door panels and hardware on order...the old ones are so brittle and delicate that they crack Just looking at them.

Joe

Hey Joe...you're going to change entire interior to black?  Not sure where you ordered your parts but Classic Industries is a good vendor...

https://shop.classicindustries.com/1967-2002_pontiac_firebird_and_trans_am_parts

However, on my last order last month, shipping was rather slow due to under-staffing 'cause of the virus.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer.....K5 Fiddy Dolla Special!......CB500 Fiddy Dolla Special too!!............plus plus plus.........

Offline CBJoe

• Master
« Reply #901 on: June 17, 2020, 09:17:24 am »
Hey Steve....I've been using Firebird Central.   https://www.firebirdcentral.com/Default.asp

Their service and shipping response has been great so far...done 3 or 4 orders with them.  For now we are just getting the door panels done....it will look a bit hodgepodge for a bit, but we're going to tackle things a bit at a time.  Figured if we pulled the trigger on the doors it would make carpet and other decisions better in the future. 

Cheers, Joe
'07 Bonneville Black
'15 Moto Guzzi California 1400
CB750K2 Hot Rod Revival http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,171693.0.html
'65 CB77
'66 CM91 (C90'ish)

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #902 on: June 18, 2020, 08:58:36 pm »
 Have any of you guys seen the Roadkill Vette Kart? They bought a cheap beater corvette and removed the body. They put a cage on it and that thing has been road raced, circle tracked, drag raced, tried to drive it on two wheels and even flipped it over with a fork truck to test the safety equipment.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • AZ
« Reply #903 on: June 18, 2020, 09:39:59 pm »
The beater 'vette project was originally a Car Craft magazine deal; I liked that magazine back in those days, as they were having fun with the hobby, while now Hot Rod has become Money Rod. >:(
The peak of the beater 'vette, IMHO, was when they duct-taped a couple of leaf-blowers onto the intake to "supercharge" the engine. ;D ;D
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline RAF122S

• I feel like a very very
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #904 on: June 18, 2020, 10:56:25 pm »
Saw one of the beater vetted running around down here in Southern Arizona out in the desert.
David- back in the desert SW!

Online Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #905 on: June 19, 2020, 06:28:23 am »
Have any of you guys seen the Roadkill Vette Kart? They bought a cheap beater corvette and removed the body. They put a cage on it and that thing has been road raced, circle tracked, drag raced, tried to drive it on two wheels and even flipped it over with a fork truck to test the safety equipment.

Yeah Don, I love "Road Kill", especially when they find some old sh1tbox (the "Disgustang" for instance) in a junkyard, get it going, and drive it across America. They wouldn't get 100 yards here in Oz without the cops impounding their "vehicle", but it's great entertainment, especially all the roadside fixes when these things inevitably break down. ;D 
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

Offline bear

• Vale Bill McIntosh ......"illegitimi non carborundum"
  • Master
  • Leeton in Australia
« Reply #906 on: June 19, 2020, 07:39:16 pm »

Yeah Don, I love "Road Kill", especially when they find some old sh1tbox (the "Disgustang" for instance) in a junkyard, get it going, and drive it across America. They wouldn't get 100 yards here in Oz without the cops impounding their "vehicle", but it's great entertainment, especially all the roadside fixes when these things inevitably break down. ;D

All of this sounds like a synopsis of my Landcruiser project. :(
The older I get the faster I was.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #907 on: June 22, 2020, 07:01:44 pm »
 I saw an article on the "catfish Camaro's" late 90's early 02's or so. Considered by some to be the best performance value. LT1 engine same as a vette, weighs less, low drag and fairly light weight.  Would give a vette cart a run for it's money. Maybe.
  Anyway we got the dragster to a social distance race. It went well until we tested the trans and apparently the rebuilder left a piece of linkage out on the band, either the servo end or the adjusted end. We watched our old friends race and had fun camping on the hill away from the group. 
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 07:04:20 pm by Don R »

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • AZ
« Reply #908 on: June 22, 2020, 10:21:25 pm »
My neighbor Tim has been struggling with a total rebuild of the brakes on his C3 'vette. Things came to a standstill today when they (Tim and Clare, another neighbor) couldn't get a flare fitting loose on the switch end of the line that ran from the master to the valve with the brake warning switch block. After a three way conference, Tim and Clare made a parts run for a length of brake tubing, plus the odd fitting where the line fit the master, while I dug out my tubing cutter, bending tool, and double flare kit. An hour after they got back to my shop, we had a custom line formed and ready to bolt on. ;D 
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Online spotty

• Expert
  • cb750....for when a Vmax is just too much bike
    • spottys world of vmaxes and great danes
« Reply #909 on: June 23, 2020, 01:27:11 am »
Well done, that's quicker than I got a new toilet cistern put in yesterday
3 trips to the plumbing shop and 3 hours later it was fitted and not leaking
It seems I've kicked the Honda habit again...anyone mind if I stick around ?

Offline BenelliSEI

• Expert
« Reply #910 on: June 23, 2020, 02:39:21 pm »
My grandchildren spent three days punishing our “farm cart” last week. It’s a very old Yamaha G1 two-stroke golf cart. I’ve added a garden box on the back, 2” square tube rear bumper, and a receiver for a trailer hitch. With a 4’ X 4’ garden trailer, it’s my wife’s go to farm vehicle. It was running worse and worse and finally almost impossible to start..... She wants a replacement.

Before searching KIJIJI for a different problem, I thought I’d have a look. Strong spark, fuel pumping out of the crankcase driven diaphragm pump, but no start. With the plug out, I realized I couldn’t smell gas. Weird. Pulled the little carb off (had to scrape a lot of dirt of, just to find it!). After a quick external cleaning tank brush up, pulled the float bowls. Spotless (there is a huge automotive filter), floats perfect, free needle. Mmmm. Turned it upright and the main jet/ emulsion tube just fell out! It had slowly unwound and dropped about 1/2”, right out of the main Venturi. Screwed it in, stuck it all back, works perfectly!

Well done Yamaha. The little bugger appears to be indestructible.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 02:44:07 pm by BenelliSEI »

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #911 on: June 24, 2020, 07:58:53 am »
  I'm sitting here reading about everyone else's cars and decided I should be in the race trailer under that transmission. Just a quick refresher video on youtube and out comes the valve body.
  Edit, apparently I'm my new transmission guy. My former one left out a part. I didn't even call him. The part came from Summit today, I've been welding on my floor pan for the firebird project. (Mini tubs)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 02:23:04 pm by Don R »

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • AZ
« Reply #912 on: June 25, 2020, 09:24:07 pm »
I helped a neighbor with his Polaris two-stroke quad today. Don had the motor bored .020" after a lean pre-mix episode, and the engine wouldn't run right since the rebuild. He could get it to briefly start sometimes by choking with his fingers over the carb inlet, but not always. Sometimes it would start, then die after only a minute or so, and then wouldn't start again until the next day. The choke never seemed to have any effect as long as he'd owned it. He was getting ready to push it down a mine shaft. :o
The bike seemed to be starved for fuel, but fuel was in the bowl, the tank vent was clear, and fuel flowed freely from the fuel line. Pulled the spark plug, and it was pretty black, so I tried to burn the black off with a propane torch, but it didn't clean up as much as I would have liked. The engine ran better at first, but still seemed to run out of gas after a short time. Pulled the carb, and everything looked OK inside (Don had already done it a dozen times), and found that the cable for the Mikuni choke plunger was way out of adjustment, which explains why it had never worked before. Put it all back together, it starts, then starts to falter like before, so we switch the choke on, and it starts to rev up nicely! It doesn't want to idle worth a damn, and it still has a tendency to "lay down" the longer it runs. This carb is slightly different from the other Mikuni I've seen. It has 4 different nipples instead of the 2 vent/overflows; in addition to the 2 normal side nipples, there is one on the top rear of the carb, and one on the bottom of the float bowl. The 2 normally vent tubes were tee'd together with a check valve. I started trying opening and plugging nipples, and finally discovered that the main issue was the check valve; with it removed the engine ran much better. Don has no idea how those vent tubes were supposed to be routed, and I could think of no reason to put a check valve on float bowl vents?? Anyway, Don is a happy camper. ;D

Offline BenelliSEI

• Expert
« Reply #913 on: June 27, 2020, 05:03:42 pm »
Made up a new window net for the MR2. We are going racing again! Double header, next weekend. Seven hour race Saturday and eight hours, Sunday. CanadianEndurance Championship opens at Shannonville. My good buddy Brian is coming out from Calgary and we are back at it. Season #51 for me and I can’t wait.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 07:23:22 pm by BenelliSEI »

Offline RAF122S

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #914 on: June 27, 2020, 08:42:29 pm »
Have fun, hope the racing goes well and it is issue free!

Offline BenelliSEI

• Expert
« Reply #915 on: June 28, 2020, 10:42:09 am »
RAF...... some new “Covid19 protocols” in place, but all seems manageable. Will report back after the weekend. We’ve been having spectacular weather, hope it holds together........

Offline BenelliSEI

• Expert
« Reply #916 on: July 07, 2020, 12:14:07 pm »
Terrific race weekend. Very HOT. Car ate brake pads (we need to rebuild all calipers and front wheel bearings), so pad changes at the mid point of both 7 and 8 hour races slowed us down a bit. Because of the heat, refuelling stops we’re mandated at 10 minutes. We took twelve minutes with pads, but still managed a second on Saturday and third on Sunday. Still looking for a win, but not bad for four “old guys”! Won an award for best pits stops........ need a new oil cooler (weeping) and some roof vents to cool the drivers. Next race is 4 weeks off and we “will be back”. 51 seasons and still more fun than ever.

Online spotty

• Expert
« Reply #917 on: July 08, 2020, 02:24:45 am »
today i discovered that the power windows and central locking have ceased to function, strange that both go at the same time

and not only has the central locking crapped out but using the key in the door don't work either, strange

when you press the lock button on the remote, the indicators flash as they should but thats all that happens

the power windows on all 3 other doors function from their individual switches but not from the master switch on the drivers door

checked the switch block thing in the drivers door and no fallen off wires or plugs ( central lock and windows have seperate block connectors too), checked fuses ( again seperate fuses and an extra relay for the windows)

Offline jgger

• Expert
« Reply #918 on: July 08, 2020, 08:44:58 pm »
Spotty check the wire harness where it goes from the door jamb to the door. They are bent back and forth every time you open and close the door. Very common for a wite failure at that location.
"The SOHC4 uses a computer located about 2-3 ft above the seat.  Those sometimes need additional programming." -stolen from  Two Tired

Online spotty

• Expert
« Reply #919 on: July 09, 2020, 12:06:21 am »
I shall give it a look, then set fire to it

Offline jgger

• Expert
« Reply #920 on: July 09, 2020, 12:08:44 am »
That'll do it !👍
"The SOHC4 uses a computer located about 2-3 ft above the seat.  Those sometimes need additional programming." -stolen from  Two Tired

Offline BenelliSEI

• Expert
« Reply #921 on: July 09, 2020, 06:39:46 am »
More golf cart crap! Went racing on the weekend, in the Toyota MR2. Seven hour enduro on Saturday, eight on Sunday! We always take the golf cart (see photo in earlier post), for moving tools, tires, fuel cans, chairs, etc., across the paddock to the pits. Darn thing was almost impossible to start, and ran crappy all weekend (very old Yamaha G1 two-stroke). It’s also our “farm cart” and my three grand children beat it to death, whenever they visit.

Decided to try and get it sorted yesterday. Pulled off the fuel line at the carb (it’s a crankcase pressure driven vacuum pump) and spinning it up produced barely a dribble. Ah Ha! Local shop had no pump and a two week delay to get one, at US$157 + Tax!! Ridiculous.Took it apart (no kits available) just to see. Nothing wrong with it. Mmmmm.

While checking the vacuum hose from the pump to the crankcase for cracks and leaks, spotted the main crank seal on the left side, half popped out of its home. Initially, the auto oiling pump fastened down over the seal, kept it in place. System was gone long before we got it (we premix). Gently squeezed it back into place, then made up three small retaining washers. Using the original pump mounts, snugged it all down. Pump tosses gas out the line. Starts instantly, runs smoothly, much quieter and no more backfiring!

Decided to clean a mouldy battery terminal, which disintegrated. Replaced both. Now my wife’s pissed off. She wanted a replacement for the “ugly cart”, but even she was impressed with how well it ran!!!!!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 06:42:02 am by BenelliSEI »

Offline jgger

• Expert
« Reply #922 on: July 09, 2020, 06:52:57 am »
More golf cart crap! Went racing on the weekend, in the Toyota MR2. Seven hour enduro on Saturday, eight on Sunday! We always take the golf cart (see photo in earlier post), for moving tools, tires, fuel cans, chairs, etc., across the paddock to the pits. Darn thing was almost impossible to start, and ran crappy all weekend (very old Yamaha G1 two-stroke). It’s also our “farm cart” and my three grand children beat it to death, whenever they visit.

Decided to try and get it sorted yesterday. Pulled off the fuel line at the carb (it’s a crankcase pressure driven vacuum pump) and spinning it up produced barely a dribble. Ah Ha! Local shop had no pump and a two week delay to get one, at US$157 + Tax!! Ridiculous.Took it apart (no kits available) just to see. Nothing wrong with it. Mmmmm.

While checking the vacuum hose from the pump to the crankcase for cracks and leaks, spotted the main crank seal on the left side, half popped out of its home. Initially, the auto oiling pump fastened down over the seal, kept it in place. System was gone long before we got it (we premix). Gently squeezed it back into place, then made up three small retaining washers. Using the original pump mounts, snugged it all down. Pump tosses gas out the line. Starts instantly, runs smoothly, much quieter and no more backfiring!

Decided to clean a mouldy battery terminal, which disintegrated. Replaced both. Now my wife’s pissed off. She wanted a replacement for the “ugly cart”, but even she was impressed with how well it ran!!!!!

Might want to keep an eye on that woman of yours, she could have been the one that popped that seal loose so she could get that pretty cart she is after...............just sayin' .

Offline RAF122S

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #923 on: July 09, 2020, 10:49:14 am »
Maybe it is time to add a pretty cart for her to enjoy if the kids aren't allowed to beat it to a pulp. Might be able to pick up one cheap during this COVID crazy time... If ya got the room to store another...

Offline BenelliSEI

• Expert
« Reply #924 on: July 09, 2020, 04:39:20 pm »
You guys are right, we may end up with a very non matching set of golf carts! I just love the old nail, it seems indestructible. This one is especially useful as a previous owner mounted a massive rear bumper that includes a 2” trailer hitch receiver. It’s hauled way above it’s weight on many occasions.

Today I had the power washer out, so I opened up the back half and blasted away 20 years of muck. Probably dropped 20 lbs. of dirt/grease off the poor thing!

;
Honda