Author Topic: Front sprocket oiler plug. Use it or lose it?  (Read 822 times)

Offline Sigop

• Hot Shot
Front sprocket oiler plug. Use it or lose it?
« on: March 07, 2018, 06:04:53 am »
CB750 K3. Cleaning house up in front sprocket area and probably replacing sprocket while I'm in there, though it does not look too bad. Struggling to remove the oiler plug nut, but wondering how many of you have and or/use the oiler system that comes on this bike.  I see a replacement plug that just seals it all off.

Not sure how much of this crap was caused by the oil drip--about 4 threads are showing so it is "open."
CB750 K3  Original Owner and Operator

Offline dcalvert

Re: Front sprocket oiler plug. Use it or lose it?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 06:36:21 am »
I blocked off the one on my K1 and use Maxima chain wax. It works well and does not leave a mess.
dcalvert

Offline Yamahawk

• IGOR!Come here IGOR! ...Yesss
  • Master
  • 1971 Honda CB750 Four K1
    • Kingdom Run Biker Church and Outreach
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 06:49:58 am »
Is it feasible to just screw in the adjuster and block the flow completely, or is it recommended to remove the adjustment screw and add a machine screw with seal washer?
Charlie
1971 CB750K1 (newest bike), 1996 Royal Enfield 500 Bullet (therapy bike), 1981 Yamaha XV920RH, 2006 Kawasaki Concours (retirement bike), 1975 Yamaha RD350 (race bike), 1989 Honda VTR250 Interceptor (race bike), 1986 Kawasaki EX250 Ninja (race bike in progress), 1985 Honda Elite CH250, 1973 Yamaha GT1 80cc, 1974 Yamaha DT360 project bike.

The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Triumph, is for Good Men to do Nothing.
Edmund Burke

All Things work together for good, for those who love God and are the Called according to His purpose.
Romans 8:28

Though He slay me, Yet will I trust Him...
Job 13:15
will you trust Him...?

Offline Sigop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 08:08:43 am »
Yes, I thought about just screwing it in and using a good chain wax if I can get it off cleanly.  Is it likely anyone would have used  red locktite on this nut?  I am building a backup plan in case I mangle the nut/plug getting it off.

Offline Henning

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 11:05:07 am »
I used this to get that bolt off not a week ago; it's a 3/8 inch socket set and the socket itself is very short, it just fits in there. Have always struggled to get that bolt off otherwise. When you get to cleaning things up put the bike on the sidestand  with a catch container under the stand. Wash it down with kerosene and all the goo runs down the stand into the catch container. Sprocket looks decent enough, you can always flip it around.
71 or thereabouts 750 K1 - this one should have been put down

Offline Sigop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 03:10:37 pm »
You know Henning, I think I have one of those sockets.  I love the drain down the side stand into a pan idea.  Great idea.  BTW, do I need to drain the oil?  Seems like it will come through the oil seal and start flowing out.  Dumb question I know. Have not done this before.
Thanks.

Offline Henning

• Hot Shot
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 03:45:21 pm »
No need to drain the oil. To answer your original question I don't believe anybody uses that oiling system any more, it just makes a mess, so it's OK to plug it. Definitely not necessary if you use an o-ring chain.

Offline beemerbum

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 04:09:28 pm »
Do I understand correctly that if I tighten up the little center screw, I have shut off the oil?

Offline Henning

• Hot Shot
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 04:36:04 pm »
Yes, that's the idea at any rate. There's a rubber bushing in there that get's compressed when you tighten the screw.