Author Topic: left side engine cover removal question  (Read 1468 times)

Offline sammon287

left side engine cover removal question
« on: April 22, 2018, 06:01:13 pm »
 I have all of the screws (I think nine) removed from the left side engine cover, but can't get the cover to budge. I tried using a brass drift from the inside out against a tab on the lower front edge of the cover with no effect. Am I missing something? I have a FSM, but it just says to remove the left side cover before splitting the cases. 
1976 CB750A

Offline sammon287

Re: left side engine cover removal question
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 03:14:01 pm »
I got it off with some careful prying using a block of wood near the output shaft for a fulcrum. the left side case and oil pump also took some prying with a long crow bar to break the 42 year old gasket free. I'm gun shy about cracking the "A" specific parts since I managed to break off a piece of the outer cover using a punch on the nearby tab. Fortunately, it looks like an extraneous bit of metal only seen from underneath. I might JB weld it on anyway. 
1976 CB750A

Offline Bazzer

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 01:58:55 pm »
Hi, I am hoping you could help me. I have a 750A 1978, and I am removing the engine covers for the purpose of polishing them. On the left side I have removed the alternator cover and the cover next to it , (the one with the dip stick in. The problem I have is the wiring from the alternator has disconnected on the connections and I cant get in there to reconnect them. Do I have to remove the inner cover to get at the wiring connections, (the cover were the oil pump is) ? I don't want to dive in there were all them levers and springs are. Can you help?

Regards
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Baz

Offline sammon287

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 05:05:06 pm »
Try pulling the starter motor to access the connections underneath. If you do have to pull the shift mechanism, it comes off as an assembly. I'm pretty sure it shares it's gasket with the oil pump, so that would have to come off too. See attached files for pictures of the connections with the shift mechanism removed.
1976 CB750A

Offline Bazzer

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 08:44:42 am »
Thank you very much, that is everything I needed to know, now I can get on with things
                                                                                                 All the best
                                                                                                Baz