Author Topic: project cafe  (Read 32227 times)

Offline Einyodeler

• Expert
  • Midnight bugs taste best!!!
Re: Re-start project cafe
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2007, 01:24:10 pm »
Hey Mark
Check it out here:  http://www.sohc4.us/forums/index.php?topic=17003.0

I`m going to try and get some more people together from around the St.Louis area so we can make a good SOHC showing.
1972 CB500 - 1973 CB500 - 1974 CB550K - 1975 CB550F - 1975 CB750F - 1976 CJ360 - 1983 CR480 - 1970 BSA A65T Thunderbolt

Download Motorcycle Shop Manuals here: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=17788.0

masonryman

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2007, 01:41:11 pm »
If I am riding this bike by then I will be there. Here is the last exhaust pic

( unless somone want to see somthing I hav'nt shone)

All welded up and ready for prep and coating

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Tryin' To Slow Down "Time"!
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2007, 03:17:09 pm »

That is one GOOD LOOKING set of pipes there. Can't wait to see the finished product. 8)
            Thanks for keeping us posted. ;)

Later on, Bill :) ;)
Member # 1969
PRAYERS ALWAYS FOR: Bre, Jeff & Virginia, Bear, Trevor & Brianna ( Close Friend's Daughter)
"Because HE lives, I can Face Tomorrow"                  
 You CAN Teach An Old Dog New Tricks, Just Takes A Little Bit Longer & A Lot More Patience!! 

Main Rides: '02 Durango, '71 Swinger & Dad's '93
                  Dakota LE 4x4 '66 CB77 & '72 SL350K2
Watch What You Step Into, It Could  End Up A Mess!

masonryman

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2007, 05:49:25 am »
Ok ladies and gentelmen if you hav'nt cought on to the theam in my garage it is.... Don't buy it, any one can do that , just build it. So lets recap our progress:

*     clipon's
*     seat pan still ruff, but built
*     Exhaust ready for prep and paint, I would like to chrome but that might be a bit much

http://www.sohc4.us/gallery/v/members/personal/masonryman/

For my next trick...hand made rear sets................Drum roll please   

Mark
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 03:21:26 pm by masonryman »

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2007, 10:46:48 am »

Good showing Mark. 8) ;) We are all waiting to see what you'll be doing next guy.
           You seem to be setting a new standard on builds, as far as I can tell. ;) Keep up the good work.

Member # 1969
PRAYERS ALWAYS FOR: Bre, Jeff & Virginia, Bear, Trevor & Brianna ( Close Friend's Daughter)
 You CAN Teach An Old Dog New Tricks, Just Takes A Little Bit Longer & A Lot More Patience!! 

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2007, 02:30:54 am »
While a lot of home made pipes look really crap, yours looks quite good mate, well done. I can't see any advantage in the "crossover" though, I presume it's purely for "aesthetics" as there's no performance increase in a crossover, unless you're going to end up with #1 and # 4 cylinder dumping their burned gasses in one pipe, and #2 and #3 in the other? Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline CrisPDuk

• Christ on a bike! Me, an
  • Expert
  • Oh happy day! 3rd December 2005
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2007, 07:57:24 am »
That's praise indeed ;)

My only question would be concerning your local noise regulations? I'd love a set of pipes like that, but with no silencing, the police in the UK would be down on me like a ton of bricks >:( :(
Education: Elitist activity. Cost ineffective. Unpopular with Grey Suits. Now largely replaced by Training."

1978 CB550 K3
1985 H100S

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2007, 11:06:08 am »

Say, I wonder if a person could fit a pair of short megaphones in there or a pair of those "shorty mufflers"? ??? That might make it a bit more acceptable to the law? I would like to hear that sucker with those straights and know how it performed.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 11:10:25 am by bill440cars »
Member # 1969

Offline tsflstb

• Expert
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2007, 01:06:21 pm »
Man that looks nice.  Nice bending and welding.  Look around at what a full custom exhaust costs.  You could pay for your entire project by making a couple extra sets of those.

If you want to quiet it down and maybe add some backpressure without messing up the look, you could just slip in some of these drag pipe baffles. 

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2007, 01:21:19 pm »
Man that looks nice.  Nice bending and welding.  Look around at what a full custom exhaust costs.  You could pay for your entire project by making a couple extra sets of those.

If you want to quiet it down and maybe add some backpressure without messing up the look, you could just slip in some of these drag pipe baffles. 

Say, how about some details on that. Those would be a pretty good option though. 8)

Member # 1969

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
    • Joe's Barbershop Chicago
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2007, 08:36:52 am »

Wouldn't that be kinda hard to stuff in a non-straight pipe ?

You could do the "hardcore" thing and stuff some fiberglass packing into the pipe and figure out a way
to secure it in there (screen or something). That would somewhat quiet down those pipes.

V-twin guys do this all the time when they run short/stubby pipes on their monster v-twins..
Joe a.k.a ProTeal55 a.k.a JoeyCocks a.k.a Maker of Friends

Offline ElCheapo

• Hot Shot
    • Anubis Cycle
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2007, 08:48:26 am »
THE TWIN 1-1/2 CANONS

Make the ends so they look like a shotgun barrel. Now that would be hot. Damn it, I gave away another of my ideas  ;D
Contact me for affordable rotor drilling services at $55 each rotor. Same day service on CB750/CB500/CB550 rotors. Next day on everything else.

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2007, 09:53:04 am »
THE TWIN 1-1/2 CANONS

Make the ends so they look like a shotgun barrel. Now that would be hot. Damn it, I gave away another of my ideas  ;D
Always like gun drilled exhaust caps...

masonryman

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2007, 07:05:33 pm »
Hey all

for what ever reason I was un able to login earlier, any way, I am very curious about the sound, I don't think I will have any trouble with noise level her in small town America as long as One uses a little courtesy.

some homemade baffels like the ones below are one of the ways I was planing on tuning the sound to my liking.

I could make a set about 8" to 10" long out of some 3/4" I.D. tube before they would have to have a radius built in, a turn down, although I don't think it would be as cool, would also help limit the db's.

As soon as I get the carbs cleaned and some controls built I will start the bike and post the music the follows.

Mark

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2007, 07:17:33 pm »
As soon as I get the carbs cleaned and some controls built I will start the bike and post the music the follows.
Looking forward to it !!

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2007, 07:40:02 pm »

Hey Mark, We're all ears. Let her rip! ;D

Member # 1969

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2007, 02:29:25 am »
Put some baffles in it MM, you'll get sick of that noise quick enough mate, I've been riding my K1 around for the last few days sans baffles while I sort a high RPM misfire, anyway, while it sounds absolutely bloody magnificent, anything more than 10 miles becomes painful.

I got pulled over by a cop this morning for a license check, he was gonna book me for excessive noise until I pulled out my Army ID card and so he just let me off with a warning, but in truth, I'm happy to put the baffles back in, I'm heartily sick of that noise, the bike certainly doesn't go any faster, that's for sure! Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2007, 04:32:31 am »

Terry,
          That would be my thinking too. I mean, being able to uncap them for a bit would be cool but being able to put the baffles back in, to tack some of the edge off of that noise would be cool too. Used to do that with my CB72 back when. I'd get out on the outskirts of town, pull the caps off of my megaphones, go for an unobstructed run, put the caps back on and go back into town. Nice to have an option, you know?

Member # 1969

masonryman

« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2007, 02:01:35 pm »
cans with baffles are in the works,  pics coming soon.

Mark

masonryman

« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2007, 08:36:30 pm »
OK, OK, common sense and better judgement have taken hold, so I have amended my homemade exhaust by adding a set of silencers. I will cut off about 12" of the pipes and add the cans in it's place

I will be able to pack them with fiberglass or restrict them if necessary, or remove the baffles and run them wide open if desired

Mark

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2007, 09:08:37 pm »

Hey Mark, You're gonna have to let us know how those work out, okay? 8)

Member # 1969

Offline samfig

• Sr. Fig
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2007, 07:03:27 am »
seriously, you could have a small business on your hands  ;D
-1973 CB750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2007, 06:54:01 pm »

I agree, but knowing how cheap most of us SOHCers are, I wouldn't give up my day job just yet, ha ha! Cheers, Terry. ;D

masonryman

« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2007, 07:10:50 pm »

I agree, but knowing how cheap most of us SOHCers are, I wouldn't give up my day job just yet, ha ha! Cheers, Terry. ;D

I have to say one of the reasons this bike got pushed to the back of the garage was

#1 when I built the first set of rearsets I realized my exhaust would no longer work
#2 my kick starter would not work because of the same stupid rearsets.

so when I dug it back out the first thing I did after building the seat pattern and clipons was cut off the rearsets and build this set of exhaust. I am so happy with the way it turned out I am considering building another set out of stainless steel.

If the stainless steel set happens there will be more than one set built to help offset the cost, but first lets see how well this one works and sounds.

Thanks guys

Mark

masonryman

« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2007, 07:19:56 pm »
and buy the way Terry in Australia I built this set with the cross over because

1 oil filter
2  I was just guessing about the firing order ::)
3 the angles made the joints easier to make and it looks cool  8)

If I do build another set I will go 1 into 4 and 2 into 3

just for you

Later

Mark