Author Topic: M.Unit Blue Keyless Go bypassing reg/rec  (Read 3006 times)

Offline Mikemac1

M.Unit Blue Keyless Go bypassing reg/rec
« on: August 20, 2018, 04:28:02 am »
Just had the m.unit blue for my 72 cb450 installed. I was warned to avoid use of the keyless go feature as it bypasses the trigger wire for the regulator / rectifier (which is hooked to switched power) ... meaning the charging system won’t work when the bike is switched on w keyless go. This seems like a huge oversight on the part of m.gadget ... that can't be right, right? Advise?

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
Re: M.Unit Blue Keyless Go bypassing reg/rec
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 05:06:01 am »
It is not correct.

The M-Key feature is only a "signal" to excite the M-Unit. It is akin to moving the stock key switch from OFF to ON, sending power from RED to BLACK which is normally also run to the LOCK port. With the Keyless feature, the MotoGadget BROWN wire from the M Key is run to LOCK.

With the M-Unit "Blue" it now receives that excitation from your BT device. That excites the M-Unit to energize. Now, the Reg/Rec still needs a switched 12v reference to manage the charging system. You can run the Regulator BLACK to AUX1 or AUX2 as both of these are enabled with energizing the M-Unit.

You should compare the resting battery voltage with a meter by directly taking a voltage reading at the terminals. Then, energize the M-Unit, and read both AUX ports with the meter (red probe to screw, black probe to ground). The voltage should be VERY close. For the most accurate readings, unplug all other output ports so you are only reading the switched 12v output of the M-Unit.

The Regulator BLACK will constantly monitor the AUX output and use that as a reference to the dynamic charge condition of the battery, managing the stator's output for battery replenishment.

Easy enough.

By the way, whomever told you that, keep your distance; they're an idiot.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Mikemac1

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 05:24:22 am »
Thanks calj737, appreciate the response! In fairness, I may well be the idiot in this scenerio for mis-interpreting the problem! (In fact, thats most likley!) Will check in with my guy and offer your direction.

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 05:28:28 am »
If your guy has limited experience with these bikes, and no experience with the M-Unit, best to go elsewhere. They are not that hard in actual fact, and I would strongly encourage you to save the money and wire the bike yourself. Really. They are dead-nuts simple and a complete harness from scratch is super easy with them.

Where in the globe are you?
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Mikemac1

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 03:01:27 pm »
My guy has experience with the old CBs and the m.unit ... so I'm feeling something must have got lost in translation! He's into the guts of it now ... so we'll see how it pans out. I'll report back on progress.

Offline bucktc

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 11:25:43 am »
I just finished wiring my K7 with an m.Unit Blue... in case this helps anyone, using keyless go, etc (works great).  Wiring colors changed from stock due to using the Revival Cycle harness kit (all new color scheme).  Some Stock items still (Stator to Rick's, Neutral switch, oil pressure switch, etc).