Author Topic: My dad and his old Indian motorcycle.  (Read 1054 times)

Offline Hotwheelbill

• Hot Shot
My dad and his old Indian motorcycle.
« on: October 06, 2018, 02:47:39 pm »
I just wanted to share a picture of my dad in the 50s when he was riding his Indian motorcycle. He had bought it at an auction and apparently went down on it more than once. One of those times was in that driveway pulling off of the road onto gravel. My regret is that he and my grandfather sold it for scrap after he crashed and took it into a cornfield. He told me that he could outrun any Harley-Davidson in Ohio at the time.
I love to make my bikes worthless due to high mileage!
2004 ST1300A .... the fast one. And dragging pegs on a CT.
1972…parts bike
1974…. Rusty frame but runs
1974 CB750..... Powder coated frame and parts, waiting for $$ hot rod motor.
1972 with 1975 old school drag motor

Offline bhudders

Re: My dad and his old Indian motorcycle.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 08:41:54 am »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bailgang

• Scott
  • Old Timer
  • Indiana
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 09:42:13 am »
Very cool pic. My dad had an Indian as well during his younger years but I can't find a picture.
Scott

71 cb350 twin
77 cb750 F2
83 gl1100 Interstate

Offline bhudders

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 10:43:09 am »
My dad and infact no older men in my family had a motorcycle so I don’t know where my own love for motorbikes comes from, it all started after winning an argument about me getting my first bike to avoid using the school bus, that first bike was a Honda 50 C110, in 1966 that was, now I still have my 1971 CB750K1, my 1978 CBX 1000Z, plus a few more moderns including the 2018 Goldwing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 03:03:02 pm »
 My Dad and his buddies acquired an old Henderson. He happened to be on it when it finally fired while they were pushing it. That was when he realized he didn't know how to ride it and took a tour of a road ditch. I'd pay plenty for a picture of that.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
If you love it, set it free, if it stays it's probably one of my 750's.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Tryin' To Slow Down "Time"!
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 09:36:42 am »

Nice to see another old Indian, as a member's Dad's ride. I have no doubt, as to where I got my love for motorcycles.

My Granddad started his motorcycle shop back in 1932, selling & servicing Indians. Also,working on about anything that came through the door. Dad quit school, while in high school & Granddad put him to turning wrenches & Dad worked with him, til around the early 1960's. Granddad had his motorcycle, as did my Dad. My Dad built several, over the years. At the age of 13, When I wanted one, my Dad handed me a parts book, told me he had to build his out of parts and that was what I was going to do, IF i wanted one. I just could not even visualize my being able to do that. But, I managed it. And I was not allowed to use new parts, unless absolutely necessary. The only new gasket I could use, was a head gasket. My Dad showed me how to cut my own gaskets using a small ball peen hammer & gasket paper (No scissors allowed). Dad passed down a Very Valuable Lesson to me.     

Member # 1969
PRAYERS ALWAYS FOR: Bre, Jeff & Virginia, Bear, Trevor & Brianna ( Close Friend's Daughter)
"Because HE lives, I can Face Tomorrow"                  
 You CAN Teach An Old Dog New Tricks, Just Takes A Little Bit Longer & A Lot More Patience!! 

Main Rides: '02 Durango, '71 Swinger & Dad's '93
                  Dakota LE 4x4 '66 CB77 & '72 SL350K2
Watch What You Step Into, It Could  End Up A Mess!

Offline Johnie

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2018, 10:07:52 am »
Great pic. Any idea what year that is taken? I am in the same boat as bhundders. No older men in my family had a bike. Got my interest when a friend gave me a ride on his Bridgestone twin in the 60's...I was only 14 and hooked!
1970 CB750K0 - Candy Ruby Red
1973 CB750K3 - Candy Bacchus Olive or Sunflake Orange
1970 Chevy Chevelle SS396 - Cortez Silver
1976 GL1000 sulphur yellow (current project)

Oshkosh, WI  USA

Offline dhall57

• Old Timer
  • The 70's! SOHC4 Honda's & Marcia Brady of course.
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2018, 11:44:19 am »
Nice pic Hotwheel. I was in the same boat as bhudders and Johnnie. None of the grown men (relatives) in my family when I was growing up including my dad had motorcycles. I don't even remember the word motorcycle ever being spoke of. It wasn't until around 1969 and I was playing little league baseball and became friends with another kid and he invited me over to his house. His dad had recently bought a Honda CT90 or Trail 90 and we about wore it out ;D riding it up and down the dirt road they lived on. Than the movie On Any Sunday came out and we went to see it and Ive been hooked on motorcycles ever since. It's been almost 50 years but our friendship that was built around that Honda CT90 and motorcycles still endures to this day. As a matter of fact he was in town only a few weeks ago and he gave me a call and we had lunch together.
1970 CB750KO
1971 CB500KO-project bike
1973 CB350G- project bike
1974 CB750K4-project bike
1974 CB750K4
1976 CB750K6
1977 GL1000
1997 Harley Wideglide