Author Topic: 1976 CB550F: Adding Turn Signals  (Read 1289 times)

Offline magner

1976 CB550F: Adding Turn Signals
« on: November 06, 2018, 12:13:41 am »
Hello, first time poster and first bike owner! Bought a 1976 CB550F that the previous owner had new wiring put in and had removed the turn signals. I’d like to add back some m.blaze Pins on just the rear for some safety.

Can anyone give help go over what I’ll need to do to wire these in? I know I need to get a flasher relay, but I’m not sure what to connect everything to. I’m not sure that the wiring diagram will still be valid as it’s been rewired. I attached a photo of what’s under my seat in case it’s any help! I know specific help would be impossible, but any general things to look for to connect would be very helpful as I’m still learning all of the components of the electrical system and what they do. Anything like locating which cable I can splice into for power, or what to ground, or where to connect flasher relay relative to signal switch would be awesome! Thanks guys.

Offline Deltarider

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Another big liar has to face the truth.
Re: 1976 CB550F: Adding Turn Signals
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 01:56:04 am »
Magner, the wiring diagram for your model is in the Honda manual that you can download here in ten parts: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=17788.0
P.169 in https://www.classiccycles.org/media//DIR_1653304/DIR_1653404/DIR_1653507/ecc6759db0a214d5ffff8824ffffe41e.pdf in particular.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 02:00:18 am by Deltarider »
CB500K2-ED Excel black
"There is enough for everyone's need but not enough for anybody's greed."

Offline Bodi

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 03:24:09 am »
That wiring is not super bad but it looks like no original wiring remains. Where are the regulator and rectifier?
If the entire harness was removed you need to add wiring for signals. If it uses the original switchpods you won't need to add a signal switch at least.

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 05:24:16 am »
Instead of adding Pins at the rear, you might be better off using their Discs on the front, at the end of your bars. That way, the light is outside of your body from the front and the rear, providing indication to those ahead and behind you. Also, it might be easier to get power to them as the front end of your bike may have more available sources of wires to activate them.

How about a snapshot of the bars, switch pods, and gauge cluster?
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline magner

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 01:19:08 pm »
How about a snapshot of the bars, switch pods, and gauge cluster?
:-[

Thanks for the help, heard a pic of the front end! I definitely need to add a switch but I need one that is only for turn signals, and not including horn and lights etc. I’m considering doing the simple 2 button switches that will route inside the bars for a minimal look. I like the pins better than the discs, but mainly I think the discs are too expensive for me  :-[ . Any help on what I need to locate to run a new power line from? And then the switch wires to a flasher which will wire somehow in between the bulb and power? Thanks again for any help!!

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 01:28:01 pm »
Take a power from the black wire on the ignition switch via a fuse to the relay then from relay to switch(es) then onto indicators not forgetting to ground the other side
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline magner

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 02:50:29 pm »
Take a power from the black wire on the ignition switch via a fuse to the relay then from relay to switch(es) then onto indicators not forgetting to ground the other side

Thanks, I think I get it! How far off am I with this diagram? Also could you describe what you mean by “take power via a fuse?” Apologies I have pretty limited experience with electronics.

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 02:54:17 pm »
Diagram looks good and on it you have put a fuse in exactly the correct possition. The wording means take the power wire through a fuse, via is just another way of saying it like if you were driving between two places a took a diversion you would be going "via" the diversion.
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline magner

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 04:20:11 pm »
Diagram looks good and on it you have put a fuse in exactly the correct possition. The wording means take the power wire through a fuse, via is just another way of saying it like if you were driving between two places a took a diversion you would be going "via" the diversion.

Awesome, this is exactly the guidance I was looking for! Do you happen to know what kind of flasher relay I would need? I assume an LED specific one, but not sure if I need 2 or 3 prong. Also what kind of fuse should I buy for this application?

Offline carnivorous chicken

• Master
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 04:46:43 pm »
You might want to just have a quick look in your headlight bucket --that's where the original ends for your turn signal wires would be, and it's just a coupe of screws to take off the headlight ring. I know that the thing is rewired around the battery, and the fact that the left hand handlebar switch (which had your turn signal switch and horn) is missing doesn't bode well, but your right had switch looks to be there (starter, light switch). You never know... and like I said, not much effort to have a look.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 04:05:13 am by carnivorous chicken »

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2018, 02:45:06 am »
Cant help with relay as never worked with led except on artic trailers. I would think fuse should be no more than 5amp.

Offline magner

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2019, 10:54:10 am »
Apologies for reviving this dead thread, but I've finally installed the turn signals (after fixing much more pressing issues), and they keep popping the fuse that I put in! They will usually work for a few button presses, and then pop the fuse. I re-installed the wires into the motogadget switch housing to make sure I hadn't messed anything up in there, and its still popping.

I probably have the power hooked up in a dodgy way, because I noticed that the turn signals work without the bike off, no key in or anything. I connected the power to a post on a circuit breaker that I pulled off of the starter solenoid (wasn't sure which post of the solenoid to use). Should I try a different power source?

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2019, 11:07:22 am »
Yep, like i said in first reply use black out of ignition switch, if using standard switch wiring that is

Offline magner

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2019, 11:33:43 am »
Unfortunately its probably not the stock wiring there, but I can probably still figure out which wire it is! Is the black wire you're referring to power to the ignition switch, in which case I can splice a wire off of that for the signals?

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2019, 11:59:08 am »
Nope, switched power from the switch.

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2019, 04:50:32 pm »
I might do it differently than your diagram shows:

Ignition->Fuse->Relay->Pins
1 wire from Switch->Ground
The other Switch to Relay->Pins

This moves the function of the switch to send a Ground to the Relay, that sends power to the Pins. You now have it that 12v runs through the switch, then to the Pins, with no tie to Ground at the Relay. Typically, these momentary switches are used to toggle Ground in custom installations.

How many poles is your Flasher?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline magner

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2019, 05:35:10 pm »
The flasher has 2 poles and then a little wire for grounding.

Yeah right now I am basically just using the push button momentary switches to close and open the circuit that carries power to the pins. It goes starter solenoid>flasher>switches>pins. The pins both ground into the switch housing (via a little clamp it comes with for this purpose), and the flasher just grounds to the frame. One weird thing is that sometimes while I'm holding the messing with the push buttons or the wires, the flasher relay will start to tick (without lighting up the signals).

You are suggesting it would be better to use the push button switches to close and open the ground wire for each of the pins? That certainly seems better than grounding them to the switch housing, plus I wouldn't have to route ground AND power wires through the handlebar into the tiny switch. You would just take the power right from the ignition switch into flasher, and both pins get power from the power out pole on the relay?

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2019, 07:12:58 pm »
Correct.