Author Topic: Valve Tappet Adjustment  (Read 1355 times)

Offline 76 Supersport

Valve Tappet Adjustment
« on: April 01, 2019, 07:21:03 pm »
Hi All, just want to start by saying how happy I am to be a member of this forum, and how grateful I

am to everyone's knowledgeable contributions. This forum has helped me so much in my quest to restore my 76 CB400f.

On to my question. While adjusting my tappet clearances I ran into an issue.

While unscrewing (opening the gap) my rocker arm. My arm seems to follow (so to speak) my tappet down as I unscrew it. So the clearance does not open.

I've also found this on tappers I've not adjusted yet. Where I can apply upward pressure to the rocker arm and open the gap.

I've found no mention of this in any procedure I can find. Am I doing something wrong, or is It just commonly known to keep upward pressure while making adjustments/checking clearances?

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
Re: Valve Tappet Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 04:09:20 am »
Do you have the crankshaft in the correct position?

Offline 76 Supersport

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 01:57:23 pm »
Yes, TDC compression stroke. Cylinder 1. As is right now, bike pulls pretty strong. No funny noises. It’s just something in the back of my mind bugging me.

Offline FourUsTry

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 02:54:16 pm »
If I understand your question correctly, it is normal for gravity to make the rocker close the gap. You just pick up the rocker with one hand and slide in the feeler gauge with the other.
1978 CB550K

Past:
2001 VFR800
1980 CX500

Offline 76 Supersport

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 03:25:10 pm »
That’s exactly it! Thank you very much. I’ll just make sure to keep pressure against the cam as I adjust.