Author Topic: CB550K Cylinder Head Powder Coating  (Read 456 times)

Offline Greg90

CB550K Cylinder Head Powder Coating
« on: April 10, 2019, 09:10:34 am »
Hello everyone. I purchased a ‘78 CB550K a little while back and I’m in the middle of a complete rebuild with it. Right now the entire bike has been disassembled to include the case being split. I intend to get the engine and side covers powder coated black before reassembly but have run into a few questions I need help/ advice on before I move forward with the project.

1) Does powder coating the jugs/ fins retain heat and lead to the engine over heating?
2) In order to powder coat the cylinder head, do you need to remove the valve guides since there is an o-ring on them or can it withstand the heat of the oven?
3) Is it better to use Genuine engine oil seals or OEM. I'm looking at either buying them individually on DSS or getting the package of them from common motor collective which doesn’t specify genuine, OEM or aftermarket.
4) I need a new cam chain tensioner blade. Does anyone have recommendations/ experience using the DSS aftermarket version? If so how has the aftermarket version held up?

Thank you in advance for any and all advice!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 11:15:15 am by Greg90 »

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
Re: CB550K Cylinder Head Powder Coating
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 11:34:31 am »
Powder coating is fine, it won’t hurt a thing.

I’d prefer to remove the guides, just in case they leech oil during the bake session, but they can certainly withstand the temps.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Greg90

Re: CB550K Cylinder Head Powder Coating
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 06:37:50 am »
Calj737, thank you for the response! I figured the guides themselves would be okay to withstand the heat. I’m just not sure about the rubber o ring around the valve guides. Part #12 in the photo.