Author Topic: '73 cb350f siezed barn find!  (Read 1948 times)

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
Re: '73 cb350f siezed barn find!
« Reply #75 on: November 10, 2019, 08:33:31 am »
Got her down to the frame!  Swingarm bushings are very tight and seam fine, but since I got this far and plan to powdercoat everything, I guess the next step is to remove them before sending to pc.  I will be getting the bronze bushings as replacements.  Is there any brand better than others to buy?

There are no swingarm bushings to fit this arm correctly. I'd recommend either leaving the stock ones in place and cleaning everything well, followed by liberal regreasing and reassembly, or send it to me for a proper bearing build.
The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=65293.0

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #76 on: November 10, 2019, 10:09:46 am »
A new guide requires the seat to be recut. Might as well do all of them while you’re at it (recut the seats).
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

*** Currently experiencing life at 60 WTFs per hour ***
I always thought getting old would take longer

Offline 574hondarider

« Reply #77 on: November 10, 2019, 10:49:32 am »
Got her down to the frame!  Swingarm bushings are very tight and seam fine, but since I got this far and plan to powdercoat everything, I guess the next step is to remove them before sending to pc.  I will be getting the bronze bushings as replacements.  Is there any brand better than others to buy?

There are no swingarm bushings to fit this arm correctly. I'd recommend either leaving the stock ones in place and cleaning everything well, followed by liberal regreasing and reassembly, or send it to me for a proper bearing build.

I ordered some NOS ones from David Silver Spares, of course not copper.  Will these work properly?  If not, is it ok to leave them in during powdercoat?  I appreciate your advice!!

Offline 574hondarider

« Reply #78 on: November 10, 2019, 10:50:46 am »
A new guide requires the seat to be recut. Might as well do all of them while you’re at it (recut the seats).

I might just do that, thanks for the advice!!

Offline Mark1976

« Reply #79 on: November 10, 2019, 11:11:09 am »
   +1 on touching up all the seats, its the right thing to do, while your at it give them the valves as well, nothing like fresh seats and faces.
   I don't know a powder coater who leaves the bushings in, I'm assuming these are plastic, they'll need a good clean swing arm for powder coating and to get the grease and other contaminants out, ya remove the bushings.
   The rockershafts and cover can stay as they are, the picture posted earlier shows a pretty clean cover. Just wipe it down well and relube it before reassembling it to the head. The rocker shaft springs are fine,
Start with the end in mind...

Offline 574hondarider

« Reply #80 on: November 14, 2019, 05:07:54 am »

Well, I probably should have taken your advice and left them in.  I was able to get the bushings out, but to my surprise they were brass!!  Everywhere I have looked says the stock ones are either plastic or steel.  This was a 1 owner barn find and the widowed PO told me her late husband bought it new in '73 and didn't ride it since the early 80's.  No JIS bolt or any other evidence of anything ever been taken off this bike, so it has me wondering how these got here.  More importantly, did they make any swingarm adjustments to get these to fit correctly??  I have stock ones coming from David Silver, hoping they still fit!!

Offline 574hondarider

gaskets scraped and carbs assembled
« Reply #81 on: December 02, 2019, 07:22:59 am »
Well, I was able to get the gasket off the bottom and top of the cylinder, cleaned up the oil pan and oil filter housing, and....reassembled the carbs!  The carbs took me around 20 hours to complete, but I'm sure I could do it in half the time the next time around!

One question,  I set the floats all to 21mm as they were measured barely touching the needles as I used all old original brass (also used honda o ring kits).  I tested float seats and height with gas with the bowls off as in this video and they all shut off fine with no leaks.

I then put the bowls back on and filled them with gas from an aux tank.  All carbs initially leaked out of the overflows at the bottom, but then stopped leaking.  I moved them around and knocked on them a little and filled the aux tank again, this time they all tested fine with no leaks.  Do you think I should be concerned with this or is the initial peeing from the overflow to be expected on freshly cleaned carbs that havent seen gas in 40 years?

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #82 on: December 02, 2019, 07:55:48 am »
It was leaking because the float seats were dehydrated. Should be fine now.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

*** Currently experiencing life at 60 WTFs per hour ***
I always thought getting old would take longer

Offline 574hondarider

« Reply #83 on: December 02, 2019, 09:42:49 am »
It was leaking because the float seats were dehydrated. Should be fine now.

awesome, thanks!!  makes me feel better knowing that.  next up is front suspension and wheels....and getting the head over to the machinest...the fun never ends!!

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #84 on: December 02, 2019, 01:14:29 pm »
basically, any time the carbs are disturbed, you will most likely see some initial overflow
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline 574hondarider

tank paint
« Reply #85 on: December 02, 2019, 03:55:25 pm »
Christmas came early for me....my neighbor who paints for a dealorship collision center brought my tank and parts by today....the pics definitely don't do it justice, but here is a peak at what she's gonna look like!  It's hard to see the strip with the poor lighting, will take better pics once i get emblems on.

Online jgger

• Expert
« Reply #86 on: December 02, 2019, 09:34:41 pm »
Love that color,  always have. They look excellent!
"The SOHC4 uses a computer located about 2-3 ft above the seat.  Those sometimes need additional programming." -stolen from  Two Tired

Offline 574hondarider

« Reply #87 on: December 03, 2019, 05:34:08 am »
Love that color,  always have. They look excellent!

Thanks! It's my favorite colors too.  I had him take the paint codes from my tacoma and match it....it will look pretty awesome being trailered to Deals Gap with my truck!!

Offline 574hondarider

400f bars?
« Reply #88 on: December 03, 2019, 05:40:21 am »
Debating between using stock 350f bars or trying out the 400f bars, I understand they are a little straighter and lower.  I really like the looks of the 400 bars over the 350, my only concern is comfort.  I am 42 years old, 5' 10", 170lbs and not looking to build a cafe racer, but something a little more sporty would certainly be nice.  While this isn't 100% an oem restore, I do like keeping most things stock.  Suggestions??

;
Honda